Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Jenniferose7 said:
Having sewed both Simplicity 3673 and Butterick 4790 I would lean towards Simplicity 3673. It's a more versatile piece and since it's a jumper, you can layer different tops under it for the colder months that are coming. I would save Butterick 4790 for a late winter, early spring project since IMO lightweight fabrics work better for that dress. :)

Thank you for the tip Jennifer. I will start with the Simplicity one then. Just as soon as I get my sewing machine set up!
X
BD

crwritt

One Too Many
Another Swirl-a-Like. I love to sew, and I'm proud to show my efforts, but I'm not so photogenic!
34393_1190708464901_1744062716_371131_1654588_n.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
YOu all have been making some great stuff.

4404.jpg
dress.jpg

My second attempt at this pattern. I posted this to my blog a bit ago. Even had enough left over to make the hat :)

LD

tuppencehapenny

New in Town
I'm super excited I just completed my first project from a vintage pattern! (and indeed my first "grown-up" dressmaking project, and the first time I've done sleeves, and various other firsts).

I hope the image works...

appleaffair1.jpg

It was inspired by the "Big Apple Dress" catalog scans Lauren posted on Wearing History some months ago. I used Hollywood 1552 which was perhaps not the most straightforward pattern to choose as a first dressmaking project (especially as it was two sizes too big), but I really enjoyed making it.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Crttwitt I would sew myself a heap of those swirl dresses if I was the seamstress that you are they just keep getting better and better.

Ladyday what can I say you dress is fabulous as and the hat is grand.

Tuppencehapenny welcome and the dress is adorable did you do the parasol too? If so I am super inpressed.

tuppencehapenny

New in Town
Thank you! I confess I didn't do the umbrella myself, that's from New Look (it was a bargain too!)

I'm going to sew myself a Swirl-alike too - I've got the fabric already. I have tooo many projects planned haha!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
tuppencehapenny said:
I'm super excited I just completed my first project from a vintage pattern! (and indeed my first "grown-up" dressmaking project, and the first time I've done sleeves, and various other firsts).

appleaffair1.jpg

It was inspired by the "Big Apple Dress" catalog scans Lauren posted on Wearing History some months ago. I used Hollywood 1552 which was perhaps not the most straightforward pattern to choose as a first dressmaking project (especially as it was two sizes too big), but I really enjoyed making it.

This is ADORABLE. I think I'm in love. Love your use of images and such, too!
Yay! Glad you found the scans inspiring!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
tuppencehapenny said:

appleaffair1.jpg

It's gorgeous - I'm a sucker for fruit patterns. :) Your dress is amazing, I can't believe it's a first project. Well done and inspiring to us beginner seamstresses!
X
BD

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
tuppancehapenny-That dress is lovely and so well done.
crwritt-you are a wonder and a sewing dynamo!
Lady Day- I love the color combo on your dress and the hat.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I really want to learn to sew, does anyone have any idea of 1940s type patterns that would be easyish for beginners?

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
i heart vintage said:
I recently got married and made my own bouquet and birdcage veil:
]

Congratulations..... You made it the night before (eek):eek: I’m not surprised that you were in panic mode....that certainly is leaving it to the last second!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kiri said:
I really want to learn to sew, does anyone have any idea of 1940s type patterns that would be easyish for beginners?

Hi there Kiri (waves at fellow Canadian),
Most of the 40s Butterick and Vogue reprint patterns are deemed ‘average’ or ‘advanced.’ However, this Butterick one says it’s easy! I have it, but haven’t attempted to make it yet – one dress at a time!
X
BD

PS the vintage pattern threads on here probably would be helpful to point you in the right direction too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy