Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Isis

One of the Regulars
I seem to be rip deficent. It starts okay and then I end up ruining a chunk of fabric. I don't know if I'm not ripping fast enough or what.
Not all fabrics lends itself to ripping. :) And some are harder than others. Don't loose momentum of the ripping, though, in that case you can get stuck.

susan

Familiar Face
circle+skirt.JPG

I really admire all your creations! I´m not just a newbie here, I´m also a newbie to sewing..So here is my first successful piece: a circle skirt with grapes print for the next summer :)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
You can cut fabric with a rotary wheel and clear ruler on a mat board (not cardboard) like for quilting, too :)

This is the method I use when cutting fabric. A word of caution (I learned the hard way) is to keep your hands out of the path of the rotary cutter. I have a lovely scar in the "web" of my left thumb where I got the cutter stuck in my hand. Owie.

susan

Familiar Face
Susan- I really like that skirt! I like the print you picked as well, very spring and summer appropriate. Great work!

Thank you! I´m working on another circle skirt right now...this time yellow and pink roses :) I hope I will have the courage to sew a dress after I finished the next skirt...or at least trying to sew one :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Wow, this thread is moving fast these days! Thanks for all the compliments on my blouse. You ladies are making wonderful stuff.

Tatum

Practically Family
circle+skirt.JPG

I really admire all your creations! I´m not just a newbie here, I´m also a newbie to sewing..So here is my first successful piece: a circle skirt with grapes print for the next summer :)

That is so cute! I love the colors also, I go crazy for green. Did you use a pattern, or instructions? It came out really nicely, and I have a circle skirt on my to-do list...

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
TheSwingingBee- That Jacket is lovely. I am afraid to work with fur or faux fur.
Cute Pajama bottoms Hell's Belle, and very practical too.
Love the circle skirt susan. I too am a fan of the color green.
City Girl Hats, you are very talented. I wish I had the time, money and patience to learn Millinery.

susan

Familiar Face
That is so cute! I love the colors also, I go crazy for green. Did you use a pattern, or instructions? It came out really nicely, and I have a circle skirt on my to-do list...

Thank you :) I used a pattern that i found on ebay, Advance 8597.

I finished another version yesterday, it´s time for spring!

circle+skirt+roses.JPG

Isis

One of the Regulars
It's a very small thing, but I just made three clips out of green wool felt.
IMG_3916.jpg

I am exited anyway, because they are the very first things I have made especially for my building a forties wardrobe-project. Now on to the hat the will match.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
@ Lauren: stunning dress!
@Elpinoine: I am not going to think about sewing, but actually do it! This weekend I am going to look for a nice vintage Singer machine. :D I'll start with an apron just like you. Was that hard to do? Did you draw the pattern yourself?
edit: and purchase a book :p

Well I found one! Posted a pic in the show us your purchase thread. Not a Singer btw.

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
This Poiret-inspired dress was made for an event I went to at the Cicada Club in LA. No pattern was used (only the magic of draping and hoping for the best) It's all silk; the lining/slip was from a large shirt and the exterior was from a trashed 60s dress that a friend gave to me. The swirls are hand-stitched and the back features a tassel that has a light perfume smell. (it'sOpium, I thought it would go well with the Asiatic flair.

Click for larger view

crwritt

One Too Many
I am afraid to work with fur or faux fur.
What are you afraid of? There are a few techniques to be aware of when working
with faux fur, but other than that, its just fabric.
When I work with it, I always mark my pattern pieces on the back, and when cutting
cut only through the backing layer. Pay attention to the nap of the fur. When stitching, "pet" the fur fibers away from
the seam, towards the body of the fabric. Ignore any instructions that tell you to
trim the fur out of the seam allowances. I like to use a narrow zigzag stitch. Comb out the seams with a large needle,
and brush out with a stiff hairbrush. Avoid topstitching. Do not iron.
I wouldn't worry about your creation somehow reanimating, unless you come up wth something like this.
5261096080_cc52f08d18.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner