Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
This is not a what I've sewn, but a what I plan on sewing... Has anyone worked with the Gertie patterns from Butterick? I bought B6352 recently wanting to use it on a nice plaid I have for fall, but am apprehensive. I've looked around google, but it seems since the pattern is new no one has worked with it yet.

Thanks ladies!

DonnaP

Familiar Face
In general, the advice I've seen for her patterns is that the sizing can vary, so make a muslin. I haven't sewn anything from her Butterick patterns, but I've made things from her books and find her instructions pretty straightforward.

Bixie Bliss

New in Town
Everyone is so talented. Amy Jeanne, those dresses are gorgeous! My sewing is best viewed from further away so forgive me for not posting anything. I am relatively new to sewing so just a few circle skirts, but I feel inspired by all of your fabulous creations!

Cassidy

New in Town
I have a couple to share that I've made since last posting at The Fedora Lounge ...

NseH4GB.jpg

This is Simplicity 3673 (a reprint, now OOP) - the same pattern as in my userpic, but the version with a flared skirt and not worn over a girdle. I made this up in a wool check as well, last winter, with an FBA. I really like this pattern and wore this one or twice a week all summer long.

MplGsIi.jpg

Butterick B6018. I hated this dress when I first made it, partly because I thought there was too much ease in the chest for a cotton this heavy and partly because the sleeves were so tight and had those big cuffs on them (my own fault). This spring, though, needing more clothes, I took the sleeves off and started wearing it regularly and was surprised to find that I actually love it. Everyone else does, too - compliments-a-go-go whenever I wear it. I plan to make it again in a more wintry fabric soon.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Good Evening Ladies,

I am in dire need of some help and thought my best option would be to ask here ;) I purchased my fabric (black velvet) for my Christmas dress yesterday and was so anxious to get started today and then realized when I pulled out my pattern that this one was missing the sewing instructions. I'm very familiar with these types of patterns and could very well use the instructions from another for at least some basic help, but I was wondering if someone here might actually have the same pattern and could possibly take some photos of the instruction pages and email them to me? Possibly?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Cassy

2hi0aLE.jpg

St. Louis

Practically Family
I don't have that pattern, but I've made quite a few dresses with similar design elements, so I can probably help you if you get stuck. I think the first thing to do here is to make sure that the pattern fits you properly, because the bodice and skirt both have to fit at the waist; the bodice is fitted with gathers and the skirt with godets, so that will take a little bit of fiddling to make sure they come together properly.

Here's how I would approach the construction of this dress: gather the top of the front bodice (there should be medium O's to guide you); make the back body and neck darts; then run a line of stitching along the seam line of the front yoke (by which I mean, that extension that goes over the gathered sections.) Press that seam allowance under, then pin and top stitch over the gathers. This is called a lapped seam.

From there I would sew the shoulder seams. Then face the front neck. If there isn't a separate front neck facing, you would cut that from the front bodice pattern. There should be a line of O's indicating the shape of the facing piece. Usually these types of neck lines are faced in front & bias bound in back. I always find that a little tricky because you have to hand sew the bias binding to the front facing. But that's how they normally did it.

I assume you can construct the skirt & sleeves without help, so I won't get into that. For me personally, I find fitting easier if I stitch the bodice front to the skirt front, then the bodice back to the skirt back, & leave the side seams open. I do a fitting & then close the side seams and insert the zipper into the left side. This is not orthodox, but it works for me.

Then you can put in the sleeves. I always wait to hem the sleeves until the whole dress is finished, particularly if the sleeve is a 3/4 or short sleeve. That way I can judge the length against the whole dress. Again, not orthodox.

Does any of this make sense? Let me know if you have any questions!

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much and yes it does make sense :) I was able to secure pictures of the instruction sheet from a lovely seller on Etsy, so now we shall see how much patience I have...LOL! I will be sure to post a picture when it's complete.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Good going! I would be very interested to know how far off I was! Please let me know if you see any major differences in the instrux & my suggestions!

BlondiePhysicist

New in Town
2016-07-10 15.18.09.jpg My 8 year old daughter (which explains the unicorns, rainbows, and rainbow sparkle buttons...).
She liked it so much that she insisted I make her best friend a matching one for her friend's birthday. I made the friend's brother an "Army guy" shirt as well.

I'm not sure why my pictures are inserted sideways...what am I doing wrong?

queen of jacque

New in Town
View attachment 74026

Is it still ok to post here? I was very excited about this thread, then saw that the last post was 6 months ago. I'm new, and still learning the posting etiquette. I apologize if posting here isn't ok.

Anyway, I enjoy making children's clothes. This was a 1954 Butterick 7094. I added matching bloomers underneath.

WOWWWWW
That is the kind of thing of fashion magazines and high prices. Great look! Great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider