Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Goldleaf! That is absolutely gorgeous! From one knitter to another.

What a wonderful idea to bring the baby home in a sweater you made.

And I've been wanting to ask you how the pregnancy is going? When is the baby due? It's so exciting!

Moodle

New in Town
Goldleaf, I love that sweater--the collar is just darling. :) And lovely work sewing it together--I always have the hardest time sewing sleeves in evenly (aka "what do you mean, uneven, I was TOTALLY going for a gathered look right...there..."), and those are flawless.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
You are all so impressive! I nearly fainted with envy to see the skills on the lounge. And to think how impressed I was that I managed to stitch white lace around the edges of a pair of gloves I got from Spotlight.

Bravo!

Snookie

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I was also going to buy some lace to make a bolero to go with the dress today, but again I was worried it would look too overdone. Opinions on whether or not to make it would be much appreciated. I was reading that they were quite common in the fifties, particularly if the bride was wearing a strapless dress (modesty and all that). I was going to make the bolero from this pattern:

4270.jpg

I used that pattern to make a bolero for my wedding reception dress -- it's actually the one I'm wearing in my avatar. It was super easy, I think I made it in the last couple weeks before the wedding. If you've already got your dress made, I'm sure you can find time to whip this up! (And I agree, it would be great for a 50's look and it's nice to have options - and not overdone at all.)

Since my fabric didn't have a pattern, I just cut two of everything and made it fully lined, and sandwiched some trim in between the layers. If you're using lace, you'll probably just use one layer? French seams would be very nice, especially on the side seams.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I just finished this outfit in time to wear to the State Fair today!
Based on a 1941 wrap dress from Mongomery Ward, I made this two piece blouse and skirt combo. The skirt is twisted a bit... normally the buttons are centered, so forgive that part. :)

The original.
IM000376b.jpg

My version.
IM000368b.jpg

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie - thanks for the compliment on the sweater! I have seen your blog, and the baby sweaters you do are just beautiful! I am very flattered :eek:

To the other ladies, thank you very much! You made my day :)

Lolita, you created another stunner, no big surprise! You look adorable, as always!

And in case I haven't said it, all of you ladies make the greatest things! Betty and Josephine and Lady Day, (and anyone else I missed) bravo!! :eusa_clap

SarahLouise

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Based on a 1941 wrap dress from Mongomery Ward, I made this two piece blouse and skirt combo. The skirt is twisted a bit... normally the buttons are centered, so forgive that part. :)

The original.
IM000376b.jpg

My version.
IM000368b.jpg

What a cute dress. This thread is making me wish I knew how to sew!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
SarahLouise said:
What a cute dress. This thread is making me wish I knew how to sew!

If you have access to a machine you should give it a try. I made these and they really were very easy. The zipper's not so hot but everything else was a breeze. Also A-line Skirts and pencil skirts are pretty easy. This was my first sewing project besides doll clothes and repairs and I was pleased at how well I did.
V8367.jpg

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
OK, got a pic of the inside. It's not very pretty. I laced it since I took the last picture, and I didn't want to take it all out because I put rabbit ears in there. The stuff I used to lace it isn't pretty though. I've got proper lacing coming in, but this worked in a pinch. (Also, cell-phone picture.)

corsetinside.jpg

It's two layers. The top layer is pink jacquard coutil from Farthingale's, and the inside layer is plain white cotton herringbone coutil. The channels are just the layers sewn together. I double-boned the seams because I liked the way it looked, but I didn't put any other bones in because it's small enough that there aren't any spaces where the bones are more than 2" apart. (The first seams in the front are only single-boned, because my spoon busk made it so that there wasn't room to double-bone on the inside of that seam.)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Goldleaf... Thank you so much! I am not much of a seamstress, so I was quite happy with the way this turned out! Although I have to fix a couple of things. :)

SarahLouise... I don't really know how to sew either! I just make it up as I go! Hehehehe I actually used 3 different vintage patterns to make this outfit! Hahaha... oops... technically 4!

Antje

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:

The original.
IM000376b.jpg

My version.
IM000368b.jpg

Wow you really did make a very great version, of the original.

It just suits you totaly

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Lolita you're absolutely gorgeous!!! I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!! Rolls on me are ridiculous lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, you're talented!! I wish I could sew an knit lol!!!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Antje... Thank you very much. I wanted to get material more close to the original (blue with white polka dots), but when I saw the strawberries with the criss cross country design, I knew I had to get that material!

PennyCarrol... Thank you! :) My curls actually fell flat from all the spinny upside down Yay rides, so it looks a bit lame. But some how my rolls managed to stay!! I bet rolls look just fine on you. Oh and I don't really know how to sew either. I totally fake it! I wish I could knit too! I know there are a few sweaters I'd like to make!

Zaika... Thank you. I am almost ready to bust out another project too. It only took me two days to make that outfit... You'd think that I could do it again. :( With no deadline, things don't get complete with me unfortunately.

ShortClara... Thanks! I agree!

Trixie

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:

My version.
IM000368b.jpg

Oh you are just the cutest! What a great dress!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
BettyValentine said:
pinkcorset.jpg

This one is my latest. I have been in the most absurdly pink mood lately! I look awful in pink, so I'm just going to have to keep it to underthings. :D

Next i need to make a chemise so I can actually wear this. I've been procrastinating because chemises are terribly boring. Le sigh!

BV - Lauren recommended the Truly Victorian patterns, and she's absolutely right. They're wonderful!

OOOOHHHHH! SO cute!!! Is that the TV corset pattern? Ain't it great?

Yeah, I wore a tank top under my corset for years because I never wanted to make a boring chemise... but when I finally did putting lace on it made it more fun!

And Lolita, I just love the creativity of your projects! It looks so cute! And how fun to model it off of a photo :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy