Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This is my new Easter dress(Greek Easter is in 2wks), made from two vintage patterns. The top is from the same pattern that I used for the scotty blouse
2213115322_29fdeacedd.jpg

The skirt is from Butterick 5772
2227806853_e619967465.jpg

You can't tell from the pics, but the fabric is a pale lavender with tiny white pin dots. Comparing this project to the recently posted green dress, I can say, without a doubt, that vintage patterns are easier to sew and are more flattering. I won't fall for another cute modern dress again, I hope!

2405363143_3b08ff26c5.jpg

2405363075_3b2bcc5fb7.jpg

CassD

One of the Regulars
Last_Chael said:
And finally, the Wonder Woman costume I've been working on for a year now!!

And now that they're done, I'm hoping to finally make some vintage outfits (the patterns have been haunting me!!)

It looks so great!! I love it!

Sunny

One Too Many
Lousy pictures here, but I've finished a couple of things. First, a skirt made from a wool/silk/unknown blend picked up on the remnant table, from this sports skirt pattern from 1940.

advance_2513_002.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

The material is a plain light khaki; the light makes it a lot yellower.

I never know where pockets are going to end up, but these are really cute. I've got some fitting work to do on the pattern itself, but once that's done I'll definitely be using it again.

And now, a nightgown. I used blue and white microcheck gingham, polycotton so I won't have to iron it :D, and this pattern from 1942:

Llg697.jpg

I looked for several months before I found one that had the bodice shaping and detail I liked. Bonus that it had a short version! I can't stand long nightgowns, even in the winter.

Instead of lace, I used small bias ruffles to make my own frills. All but the waist and skirt seams are finished with bias binding. (Yes, I went a little crazy with the neatness.) It took a while to finish.

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Sunny, super cute skirt and nightgown! I saw that skirt pattern once in an
online pattern shop and thought about buying it...now I wish I had because it is so flattering with those pocket details. Great work!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sunny, that nightgown is adorable! I just love seeing the pattern envelope and how the garment looks when it's actually made up.

olive bleu

One Too Many
from the original nightie freak..that is gorgeous!and i love the fabric ruffles instead of lace.

I am going to a sewing circle this weekend and hopefully will be making a nightie(if i can get out to buy fabric...have cold:mad: )i may try the ruffles.

Sunny

One Too Many
Wow! Thanks, everybody! The skirt pattern doesn't seem that hard to find; I've seen it twice on ebay in the last several weeks. There's not a whole lot of shaping to it, so it wouldn't be hard to modify to fit. It's not actually very full. The neat part is that the grainline runs down the sides of the gores instead of down the middles, so it hangs straighter on the sides with the fullness at the bias front and back. Very good for me, since my hips are definitely wide!

The nightgown is really awesome to wear. Olive, if you do ruffles, make sure they're on the bias! Bias ruffles are just awesome. I really like how they looked on this, although they added significantly to the time and work. ;)

I've been working on a couple other skirts, too, so there'll be pictures of them soon. ;)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Wow, great display of information with all of those patterns!!! (Plus, I really would love to have them!! I will keep an eye on ebay...) Thanks for all that "illustration." By the way, I love the skirt you made. I think you are exceptional with a sewing machine! Thanks for the inspiration too - I can't wait to post some things I am working on!!

lillielil

Familiar Face
I started sewing very recently, so please forgive any glaring beginner mistakes you see.

I made this:
16770pattern.gif

So let me show you an unflattering picture in which I would benefit greatly from wearing proper undergarments:
workinggirldress.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
lillielil said:

Wow what a great dress I love the contrast you have in the fabrics. There is nothing unflattering about your photo and if this is your first attempt then look out ladies we may have a budding genius in our midst!!!!!!

I am seriously impressed, I have never been great at dressmaking, I can knit and embroider till the cows come home but I'm always in awe of a finished dressmaking project so very well done indeed!:eusa_clap

lillielil

Familiar Face
AllaboutEve said:
Wow what a great dress I love the contrast you have in the fabrics. There is nothing unflattering about your photo and if this is your first attempt then look out ladies we may have a budding genius in our midst!!!!!!

I am seriously impressed, I have never been great at dressmaking, I can knit and embroider till the cows come home but I'm always in awe of a finished dressmaking project so very well done indeed!:eusa_clap

Thank you so much! It isn't my first attempt; it's my fourth dress ever and my first from a vintage pattern.

It actually fits a lot better now (15-20 lbs later), and everything I'm making these days is a bit on the small side, which is no fun because I always want to take pictures immediately.

I've been knitting since I was six, and I think it really helps because I already have a good idea of how garments fit together. Sewing is a lot easier... and it's really much more fun than seaming together knitted pieces. I think I have a new obsession (although there is still yarn all over my apartment).

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Playsuit/Bathsuit

I decided I needed new stuff to wear down to River/Lake this summer:

Playsuitjpg.gif

Turned into this:
041608Export148.jpg

It's got straps but I folded them down for the photo..

And this:
50sbathinsuit.jpg

Turned into this:

041608Export144.jpg

Both need zippers and the legs hemmed.
They both went together pretty easily and I recommend checking Etsy for play suit/swim patterns. I got both patterns there and material for both at Hancock on sale.

Joan

New in Town
DimeADanceQueen said:
I decided I needed new stuff to wear down to River/Lake this summer:
Those are brilliant! I love the contrast on the first one and the fabric on the second one.

LillieLil, the dress is beautiful!

Sunny, I like the skirt a lot, and the nightdress is gorgeous.

You ladies are making me want to sew again. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy