Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Another question for you ladies. How many of you make the same pattern over and over? I generally prefer to make new patterns because I like the challenge, but after seeing how well the skirt from that Simplicity pattern fits, I could see making a ton of dresses from that pattern. Do you ever get bored? Do people notice you wearing the same dress in different colors (or whatever)?

ShortClara

One Too Many
There is such marvelous stuff here! Brava Ladies!

PS DeadPan, I can't see how you could be too much for a Dolly Parton concert. That seems like an oxymoron!

PPS My parents have seen her and it was their favorite concert of all time! :p

scarlett

One of the Regulars
LadyDay & KamiKat thank you for answering my questions. I take a lil longer to complete even simple things, so I look forward to the day when I will have your confidence and skill.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I still think of Miss Neecerie's 'Make Due and Mend' thread whenever I think of how I can reuse something.....Before....and after.

bluebibdress.jpg
front-7.jpg

I had this dree for a long time, and didnt like it too much. I was changing my look to a more 40s vibe, so I thought, let me reconstitute this fabric. Here you go! It was a learning experience. I had just enough fabric (after I had to patch togeter a new front piece cause I cut pockets from it by accident :eek: ).
back-3.jpg
buttons.jpg

I kept the piping from the dress on the sleeves and down the center back. I LOVE it and will wear it often! Way make due and mend!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks, Lotus :)

No, the fabric isnt vintage, but the place I got it said it was based on a 40's design, so there you go!

I just finished another shirt (these things only take about 3 hours!) from a dress I made that I only wore once. So now its a shirt like this one, but I used the same sleeves from the dress on the shirt :)

LD

anabolina

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
Another question for you ladies. How many of you make the same pattern over and over? I generally prefer to make new patterns because I like the challenge, but after seeing how well the skirt from that Simplicity pattern fits, I could see making a ton of dresses from that pattern. Do you ever get bored? Do people notice you wearing the same dress in different colors (or whatever)?

I also like constant change with my sewing patterns, but when I find a peice that really works, like a circle skirt piece from a Butterick or these 3/4 length sleeves from a Vogue, I will randomly fit those peices to the new pattern just to try it ourt. Man I miss my patterns here in Korea :tear: I asked my mom to send me a couple but she reminded me that I chose to leave them at home for a reason. darn.

Beautiful dress KamiKat.

I'm almost done with the VA Museum Dress pattern and I'll post it when I finish handsewing the hem.

I love your dress too LD. I have a dress made from a fabric that looks exactly like yours, except the fabric had little pinprick holes and I didn't notice and had to do some emergency sewing at work. Okay for a librarian, but I shudder to think what these preschoolers would have done to it. I loved the fabric and cut though...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have made a 'Chanel' jacket.. I am soo proud of this because this is only my third item I have sewn.. it took me 35 hours in total from cutting the pattern to the final stitch.. it is because there is SO much handsewing to be done on this sort of jacket, but it is totally worth it and I knew it beforehand..

I even got the sleeves in right the very first time! YAY.. I even managed to do a little bit of poof at the shoulder seam of the jacket..

First I cut out all the pieces in the jacket fabric, then the same in the lining fabric and then vertically quilted the matching pieces together. then I started assembling the jacket by the jacket fabric, then pressed open the seams and started to fold over the lining seams and then hand stitch them together to make an even finish. even the sleeves are don this way. I added a broad black silk ribbon to all the seams. I am debating to add two small hook closing in the front.

the reason for quilting the lining to the shell is that this is how a chanel jacket is made, it strenghtens the delicate boucle and doesn't require an interface piece. it looks truly beautiful and makes the jacket more soft and less constructed than a regular blazer, giving it an almost cardigan feel.

The material is this amazing ivory, almost white boucle like fabric with discret silver threads vertically and horisontally. the lining is white silk (or is it silksatin.. can't remember)

sorry this is so pic heavy, but wanted to show a lot of the details..

Trying to catch the sparkle of the silver thread in sunlight
DSC_0127.jpg

up close of the fabric
DSC_0126.jpg

the lining that is quilted to the shell fabric
DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0121-1.jpg

How it looks on - you can see that the quilting has added to the texture and presentation of the jacket.. I think it looks so good!
DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

Final product!
DSC_0125.jpg

Next time I will make it a size smaller - I like it to be loose - it isn't meant to be tight like a blazer, but I was so afraid it wióuld be too small (this is the first jacket or top I have ever made) so I wasn't sure about the sizing of the pattern and made it a little too big.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
WOW WOW WOW!!

That's only your 3rd item? My goodness, I'm very impressed! I've made a couple of jackets, and boy are they difficult! You've done an amazing job, it looks so tailored and neat! :D

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
SwingingBee that jacket makes me think of
Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.
Is it me or does it match your hair?
That's pretty cool.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Real Swell Gal said:
SwingingBee that jacket makes me think of
Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.
Is it me or does it match your hair?
That's pretty cool.

Actually it matched my hair really well, I also had a lipstick that matched that color. Now my hair is black though, had to go easy on it, it was starting to crack off.

alexandra

Practically Family
So I made this yesterday. It's the first dress I've ever made. I didn't use a pattern or anything, I just made it out of my brain or whatever. I don't know what the technical term for that is.

Anyway, here's some awkward looking pictures of me in the dress.

2e1sj1c.jpg

25ujx4y.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
alexandra said:
Thanks!
But you should see the inside...it's like fashion and skill puked in there. lol

Well, if anyone's looking at the inside, they're too close lol

Hey, can you come to my house and rub my sewing machine? Maybe some of your natural ability will rub off. Kinda like a fairy godmother :D
I can't BELIEVE that's your first dress AND you made up the pattern! Great job!

alexandra

Practically Family
swingtimegal said:
Well, if anyone's looking at the inside, they're too close lol

Hey, can you come to my house and rub my sewing machine? Maybe some of your natural ability will rub off. Kinda like a fairy godmother :D
I can't BELIEVE that's your first dress AND you made up the pattern! Great job!

Well I've done things like altering clothes or whatever, but I've never made a dress from scratch. I guess maybe it's easier because I've never used a pattern so I don't know what I'm missing?

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto