Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:
Thanks GG and Grey!

I finished the hem on this one earlier so I could wear it tonite.

Fabric:
l_b514db36f977b51416fd07db2105cef5.jpg

l_efb91bf629546f20a7d8b662cf806ae3.jpg

This pattern:
l_db0ff8e6e0704c91410f3874159aeddd.jpg

Cute, I tried this pattern and the skirt defeated me. I didn't notice from the pattern envelope that it was supposed to be gathered in the back and I wonder why there was all that extra fabric back there and it was the second thing I tackled and I tried some rather unsuccessful ways of getting rid of the fabric. Oh well, it makes a nice apron.
Sompics2018.jpg

Good job on your version.

anabolina

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
This is a black linen dress with red pipping based on Simplicity 1892. I moved the opening to the front, added facing and buttons.
2554602400_97d00ae6d9.jpg

2554656338_595d15b54f.jpg

This one is a Hawaiian halter dress using the halter top from Simplicity 0517 and the high-waisted skirt from McCall's 9158.
2553771647_9a2bcf9bef.jpg

2554590874_824714a932.jpg
Lovely, great job on both.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I also posted this in the what are you wearing thing, I'm horrible at taking pictures of myself...

I made the dress, I just wish I would have got a better shot of it.

untitled2.jpg

cp1_0613082036-1.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
Would you believe I started this in December? I got into a HUGE fight with the pockets so it just sat there. Anyway, finally done:

l_094e569ae7ec752f72bcac44a2a2e6d5.jpg

Pattern:
l_687c636567e8959527215586c512037a.jpg

Please pay no attention to my head in this pic. I like it even though the bust is too big. The pattern is on size too big for me and I don't know how to alter so I just made the seams 5/8 instead of 1/2.

Miss Pink, I like it very much.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks GG!

I just finished this 1920s frock.
l_c18f3be0e75f6caba71bc5a596877a10.jpg

Vintage glass buttons:
l_644c5bee6d11f12c1c45532576a9c414.jpg

Pattern:
l_dcf76ef7e9022e07c7e39e347ea8d53f.jpg

I am certain I will NEVER do a square neck again. We got into a fight and although it's not perfect it looks OK. [huh]

Still desperately trying to get my hands on a crinoline of some sort. Searching this thread I see some people have made them. Umm...how do you do it? I haven't been able to get a pattern, I don't have the pennies to spen £37 quid on one, can someone give me the lowdown on how to make one of these things?!!!

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
dollydaydream said:
Still desperately trying to get my hands on a crinoline of some sort. Searching this thread I see some people have made them. Umm...how do you do it? I haven't been able to get a pattern, I don't have the pennies to spen £37 quid on one, can someone give me the lowdown on how to make one of these things?!!!

I used this guide for mine http://www.pettipond.com/lon.htm however you may find it difficult getting net in 72" width. White cream peach and black are the only colours I have found so far in 72" So if you are looking for something more colourfull you may have to adjust the pattern for 54" width net which is standard in most shops. You would need to buy around 15 yards (or 14 meters) instead of the 9 yds in this pattern and sew some strips together after cutting to get the lengths you need for the 8 strips. Other than that all you need is elastic and ribbon. I have seen the 54" net as low as 80p a meter on ebay uk and you can buy rolls of ribbon in 50 meter rolls also on ebay for around £10 (I prefer ebay as the fabric shops near me are very expensive).

I am about to start a new petticoat at the moment in shell pink with baby blue ribbon binding for two dresses I have finished, and can't wait to see what they will look like as I haven't hemmed them yet incase they end up too long or too short. But the last one only took me a couple of days so I may be able to post pics soon... Hope this was helpful!

fluffy-tiger said:
I used this guide for mine http://www.pettipond.com/lon.htm however you may find it difficult getting net in 72" width. White cream peach and black are the only colours I have found so far in 72" So if you are looking for something more colourfull you may have to adjust the pattern for 54" width net which is standard in most shops. You would need to buy around 15 yards (or 14 meters) instead of the 9 yds in this pattern and sew some strips together after cutting to get the lengths you need for the 8 strips. Other than that all you need is elastic and ribbon. I have seen the 54" net as low as 80p a meter on ebay uk and you can buy rolls of ribbon in 50 meter rolls also on ebay for around £10 (I prefer ebay as the fabric shops near me are very expensive).

I am about to start a new petticoat at the moment in shell pink with baby blue ribbon binding for two dresses I have finished, and can't wait to see what they will look like as I haven't hemmed them yet incase they end up too long or too short. But the last one only took me a couple of days so I may be able to post pics soon... Hope this was helpful!

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! This is just what I was looking for!! I will let you know how I get on with my aquiring of materials & eventual making of :D

Mary

Practically Family
Recommendations of historical textile books

Do you know of any good books on fabrics used in the good old days? I've looked at fabric.net and found that helpful but maybe there are good books on fabrics.

I'm also looking for a book or homepage on colours so I'll know what Copenhagen and others look like. Any suggestions?

M

anabolina

A-List Customer
ValerieAmelia said:
I also posted this in the what are you wearing thing, I'm horrible at taking pictures of myself...

I made the dress, I just wish I would have got a better shot of it.

untitled2.jpg

cp1_0613082036-1.jpg

I really like the whole ensemble. What does the bodice look like? Also, that such a good idea to belt the cardigan over it. The whole outfit just seems to work. What pattern did you use for the dress? Anyway great job!!!

zaika

One Too Many
pink...that dress is the loveliest! you look darling in it.

i...um...i'm afraid i might have to copy it.

which would be a cool thing if i knew how!! lol

leaette

A-List Customer
Mary said:
Do you know of any good books on fabrics used in the good old days? I've looked at fabric.net and found that helpful but maybe there are good books on fabrics.

I'm also looking for a book or homepage on colours so I'll know what Copenhagen and others look like. Any suggestions?

M

go to www.amazon.com and do a search for "vintage fabrics". There are quite a few results that might interest you.

Mary

Practically Family
leaette said:
go to www.amazon.com and do a search for "vintage fabrics". There are quite a few results that might interest you.

Thanks, I didn't think of seaching for it like that. I did and I actually found some in my libary so I'll go there tomorrow! I find it hard to know which books that are good so recommendations are really appreciated!

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy