Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

ShortClara

One Too Many
DeadPan! You are amazing!!

Kamikat and TheSwingingBee - such cute summer stuff! They look beautiful on you :)

Lauren, that set is adorable

DollyDayDream - Va va voom!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you, ladies :)
kamikat, I love the piping you did around your collar!
dollydaydream, that fabric is just too perfect! It makes up so lovely in that dress
Goldwyn Girl, excellent dress, as usual!
deadpandiva, what an excellent ideas to use bandanas as fabric! The dress and hat came out so cute!
TheSwingingBee, you're just too cute for words in that dress! I love it, and green is my favorite :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
You look like my fifties teen dream...
dollydaydream said:
PICT0150.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
I finished this dress about a month ago. It's a c.1934 New York pattern, made from a ditzy print cotton. The belt buckle and buttons are a vintage set I got on ebay a year or two ago. I shorted the skirt about 8" because I'm not yet fond of early 1930s skirt lengths.

wptmultinewyork502.jpg
DSC00915.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

This is definitely the earliest pattern I've ever worked with. It's also one of the skimpiest on directions and loosey-goosiest on pattern piece matching. I had to improve the whole neckline gathering thing, and certain of the notches or perforations didn't come close to meeting each other. Directions, in short, were negligible, and I pretty much put it together on my own.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazing!

deadpandiva said:
My work isn't nearly as nice as what everyone else is making and my pics suck but I'll post them anyway.
IMAG0077_edited.jpg
IMAG0079_edited.jpg

I made this out of 7 bandanas. I should have taken measurements or made a pattern or something before I started sewing.

IMAG0068_edited.jpg
IMAG0067_edited.jpg

IMAG0065_edited.jpg
IMAG0070_edited.jpg

No pattern? I want the instructions, that is so cute!
And the hat is swell.

And DollyDayDream, wowza, va va voom, what a dress!
And Sunny, I adore it. Did you find that you lost the flare in the skirt by shortening it, or did you shorten it in the thigh area to avoid that? I like my skirts way long, so I usually have to lengthen them! Love the sleeved version too, I could live in dresses like that.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
wow, the last two pages of this thread are amazing!

Loving the hats. I have never tried to make a hat - is it easy?

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks, Kamikat! I think I forgot to mention that your new blouse is just amazing. Do you have to fit all your clothes to yourself, or do they just look like that when you make them up? :D

Lady Day said:
Looks great, Sunny!

Are you going to make it again?

LD
Thank you! Short answer: Not for a while. I've got a lot of other patterns and fabric in the works and not much time; matter of fact, I finally got inspiration for a green-and-white small stripe. I've been waiting on inspiration for that fabric for a couple months now! Back to this one - There's a lot I'd want to fix on it before doing it again, actually. The pattern directions were very skimpy, and things didn't match up right. Of course I managed all right, but the neck finishing and things just doesn't have the neatness that I like. If I do it again I wouldn't be happy unless I fixed all that - and that would take a lot of work. Also, the pattern is actually a size too big, so I had to take it in at the waist. That complicated the darts at the back skirt, so the skirt hangs a little funny. Nitpicky stuff. It's quite possible that I'll run across something in my stash or in the store that DEMANDS this pattern. :D

Miss 1929 said:
And Sunny, I adore it. Did you find that you lost the flare in the skirt by shortening it, or did you shorten it in the thigh area to avoid that? I like my skirts way long, so I usually have to lengthen them! Love the sleeved version too, I could live in dresses like that.
Yes, I took it out of the thigh area, keeping the original hem circumference. I know early 1930s tends to be very slim, and I'm a little more generous there, so I didn't want to take chances. Turns out I had nothing to be afraid of! Rather the reverse, actually. If you like long skirts, then, no wonder you go for c.1929! I'm 5'9" and it really surprised me how long this one was. It's a very comfy dress, too! I'm beginning to really like raglan sleeves that aren't horribly sloppy.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Thanks, Kamikat! I think I forgot to mention that your new blouse is just amazing. Do you have to fit all your clothes to yourself, or do they just look like that when you make them up? :D

Generally, the only thing I do to my patterns is add some to the side seams if it's a small pattern. For me, it was a matter of figuring out which era fits me best. When I use 1930's or 1940's patterns, I have to add some to the bust and the hips, usually shorten the length, fiddle with the shoulder width. The 1950's patterns fit me like a glove with very little to no altering needed.

Sunny

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Generally, the only thing I do to my patterns is add some to the side seams if it's a small pattern. For me, it was a matter of figuring out which era fits me best. When I use 1930's or 1940's patterns, I have to add some to the bust and the hips, usually shorten the length, fiddle with the shoulder width. The 1950's patterns fit me like a glove with very little to no altering needed.
That's awesome. The last 1930s and early 1940s patterns fit me best, with sometimes a little extra in the hip.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Sunny- I love, love, love that dress.
DDD- Is that hat from a pattern? I love it and the dress. Great fabric!
Miss 1929- I didn't have intructions for the dress. I got the idea from a 1950's McCall pattern I saw on ebay and I just sort of tried to copy it. ZI can tell you what I used for each section if that helps.

Thanks everyone for the compliment on the hat. It was my own design and I used a 3 inch 100% wool capeline and a utility hat block I got on ebay. The capline was pretty much that shape so it almost blocked it's self.
I want to get beaver or rabbit fur felt because I think it's easier to work with. If I find that is easier to work with than I will take orders. I also made my first buckram frame. It's a 16 inch sailor but I am having a devil of a time covering it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass