Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Sunny

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:
Okey dokey! I finished this dress on wednesday morning, and was hoping to wear it to work for New Years, but the sleeves were just a tiny bit too tight for table waiting! Drat! (I did a mock up for everything but the bottom of the sleeves, silly me. Next time, next time.)
Happily, it will be just fine for a dinner date or cruise around town--just not for reaching across customers with an armfull of plates. :)
It's made of novelty cotton from the holiday section at Joann's, and a mail order pattern from the late 30's/early 40s.
I'm diggin' it.

9639.jpg
mo3-1.jpg
mo4.jpg
That is SO CUTE! I'd put that right on the 1939/40 cusp. I haven't had the guts to try that particular type of style; I'm afraid the gathered sleeves and bust will be too cutesy for me. But in that fabric, it looks very elegant and stylish. Good for you!

Sunny

One Too Many
JupitersDarling said:
housedress.jpg

From a 40's Marian Martin housedress pattern... The fabric has little duck/bird creatures on it. Pay no mind to my goofy face!! :p
Aw, that's darling! I really like the style. It looks so cool and comfortable!

MissAmelina said:
Made this yesterday.....
I love this pinwale corduroy so very much---I knew it would be a bitch to match all the seams (it's 6 gored), but I think for a first attempt it turned out fairly well...and I love how the paisley's took on a life of their own. I had only planned on matching the hipline, so it was neat to see all the other shapes and swirls work together in new and exciting ways.

What a terrific matching job! Miss Amelina, you're my new sewing hero. :D I've been working a lot with corduroy in the last month, too (although not printed, thank goodness!) so you have my full respect.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Real Swell Gal said:
This is the one I'm working on right now. I'm making style C.
M5292.jpg

Hahahah, that was my summer project '08 dress, and I still only have the bodice started...in muslin. I think I'll make it my spring project '09 dress now. Isn't it cute, I'm doing style C too but trying to be fancy and switching in a pencil skirt instead and adding piping. I can't wait to see yours when you're done, it will give me a huge boost in motivation!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Everyone's dresses are so awesome and inspirational. I realized this weekend how addicted to sewing I am. I moved to a new place last month but had to leave all my stuff up in Dallas til I got my first paycheck(this past week) and am so happy to have my sewing stuff again. After carrying it all up to my second floor apatment, I realized that a great deal of the stuff I was carrying was sewing related (ridiculously large stash from warking near fabric outlet alley near downtown).

Real Swell Gal said:
MUST.............HAVE..................THAT................DRESS!

This is the one I'm working on right now. I'm making style C.
M5292.jpg

I made this up a couple of years ago. Here's my version (I had some definite problems with the straps, but I think it came together rather quickly. It was like, the second or third thing I sewed.

Mccalls5292.jpg

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I like that fabric. Purple is my favorite color.
Ty for the warning about the straps.
As I said I'm doing mine in a little cherry print.
It's white fabric with red cherries and green leaves. I'm usuing some green piping too!! Around the seams of the bodice. I think that will look sharp.
I've actually got a few sweing projects going on right now at different stages. I find that helps when I get frustrated with one project I can put it down and pick up something else.
The other is Butterick 4790. It's a 1950's wrap dress.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You ladies have been busy! I havent been sewing much lately, Ive been drawing a lot and that is really what I need to do, but I did finally finish this jacket that I had sitting for two weeks because I kept wondering how I was going to attach the buttons.

I have a much deeper respect for quilters now. MUCH MUCH. I quilted this myself (after reading how simple it would be in one of my vintage sewing books, HA!), two and a half yards at 1" squared. I have quite a bit left over and its as precious as gold to me. NEVER again lol

front.jpg
detail1.jpg

I trimmed the collar and cuffs in velvet. I would have done the pockets as well, but I use my pockets so much that I knew the velvet would get too warn too fast.

P1010014.jpg
lining.jpg

The lining is this crazy cotton that was $2 a yard.

Lastly is this lounge jacket made of cotton flannel.

197946935_o.jpg
front-1.jpg

back.jpg
belt.jpg

I altered it from my house dress pattern, well I just made it shorter.
Its so comfy! I really love the lapels on this pattern.

Welp, thats it from me. Details will be on NVL shortly.

Thanks ladies,

LD

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Everyone has such beautiful designs!! I wish I had enough time lately to sew, my time has been filled with busy-ness lol ahhh well hopefully next weekend I can continue working on my wool dress suit :) Oh, I got a "dressmaking made easy" book from the antique store yesterday, maybe someone can help me date it

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I really like the purple jacket, LD. Very flattering.

Here's what I made this week:

l_8060c9e754e04a04a416f20a985cc83d.jpg

Made from crepe. It was hard to make in more ways than one :( The pattern was old and vague so I just made most of the dress freestyle! As you can see, it's a bit wonky :eek: I wasn't experienced with the material, either. My stitches were all crazy! And my ghetto iron has a tendancy to get REALLY hot for no reason at all. Yea, so I burned a bit of my dress in back (it's not too noticable!) I was mad :rage:

From this:
l_10d06e4fe93c491b8cf77d54c4cc3f4b.jpg

From the Vintage Fashion Library

Lenah

New in Town
Lady Day said:
front.jpg
detail1.jpg

lining.jpg

The lining is this crazy cotton that was $2 a yard.
LD

I love this jacket!! Love it. Love the crazy lining too - so cute! I can see that jacket with a black turtleneck underneath, or a nice scarf at the neck. And that quilt is perfect - looks like a lot of work. Mine would have been crooked and all over the place...

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Lady Day,
My mom is a quilter and she pieces the top herself, sews the backing, and then PAYS someone else to quilt them because she hates doing it so much. :) So kudos to you for finishing the project. :)

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Cute :) I bet that WAS hard to work with... whew!! oh and where is the Vintage Fashion Library?

Amy Jeanne said:
I really like the purple jacket, LD. Very flattering.

Here's what I made this week:

l_8060c9e754e04a04a416f20a985cc83d.jpg

Made from crepe. It was hard to make in more ways than one :( The pattern was old and vague so I just made most of the dress freestyle! As you can see, it's a bit wonky :eek: I wasn't experienced with the material, either. My stitches were all crazy! And my ghetto iron has a tendancy to get REALLY hot for no reason at all. Yea, so I burned a bit of my dress in back (it's not too noticable!) I was mad :rage:

From this:
l_10d06e4fe93c491b8cf77d54c4cc3f4b.jpg

From the Vintage Fashion Library

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
WOW! you ladies are so amazing. I am starting my first 1930's pattern today. I hope it works out. I did a mock up of the skirt so I think it will be okay.

This dress will go to my sister when it's finished because of all things it's too small in the bust.
001_00A.jpg

I started this ages ago and lost the waistband and pocket peices. Also it has a zipper instead of buttons.
002_0A.jpg

This hat I made for a charity auction at work. it has a detachable veil and flower and ribbon trims.
025_24A.jpg

024_23A.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
2009_0103jul080018-1.jpg

I made my first pants. Thanks Idledame, Shrinking Violet and Dakotanorth for the encouragement!

Unfortunatly, I'm not so happy with them. Feel like and elephant. Maybe it's the grey. Or I should have made them less wide.

But I'm very please with actually sewing something and not merely planning it. :)

You all do lovely inspirational work, ladies!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
2009_0103jul080018-1.jpg

I made my first pants. Thanks Idledame, Shrinking Violet and Dakotanorth for the encouragement!

Unfortunatly, I'm not so happy with them. Feel like and elephant. Maybe it's the grey. Or I should have made them less wide.

But I'm very please with actually sewing something and not merely planning it. :)

I love the cuffs. I think they look very nice. What pattern did you use?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The pants look good. The width looks pretty perfect for that late 30s/early 40s look. And I like the grey. The whole outfit reminds me of Kate Hepburn.

DPD - great overalls!! You got the bod for them, that's for sure!

As for my shiny fabric, it was called crepe something-or-other. Some big word I don't remember. It's not crepe crepe. It was pretty cheap (4.99 a yard, I think) But when I saw it I knew I had to have it for my flapper dress. I've always wanted a shiny black 1920s dress.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Mary said:
2009_0103jul080018-1.jpg

They look perfect to me! They have a nice drape, and they're not too wide at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy