Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
kamikat said:
Lauren, I have the pattern that your yellow dress is from. Yours came out darling. How is the pattern to work with?

The pattern is ok... not stellar and needed some fiddling with, but it might have just been me. I noticed the collar hangs kind of funny as there's no overlap, but again, not sure if I just did it wrong because I was unwilling to split the envelope to look at the instructions which are printed on the back lol The sleeves are definitely not like the picture. They're actually quite tight on my arm and don't look loose like in the illustration. The waist was quite a bit larger than it said, if I remember correctly. I guess it's what's expected from a mail order pattern lol

Thanks again, Ladies :) Miss Sis, I'm thinking of bringing this with this summer but it's quite heavy with all the gigantic buttons!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
ClaraB, Antje, and Lady Day thank you for your compliments! I'm quite pleased with myself ;) I actually love the pattern- so easy! I see myself making many more of those dresses.

Rachel, that is gorgeous! I love the full skirt-- I think I'll make a full-skirted one next.

Rachael said:
...and just to show what a difference fabric can make in a pattern, this is my interpretation of Simplicy 3673:
3436643781_afc66ba867.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I finally made something I am quite proud off!! And wearable too LOL I wore this to a wedding and got loads of compliments, all very impressed when I told them it was home made! I wore it with the sash.

Without sash (but the dress needs it I think)

DSCN0582.jpg

With

DSCN0592.jpg

Details of the sleeves

DSCN0588.jpg

I believe it is Vogue 8280

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Darhling said:
I finally made something I am quite proud off!! And wearable too LOL I wore this to a wedding and got loads of compliments, all very impressed when I told them it was home made! I wore it with the sash.

Without sash (but the dress needs it I think)

DSCN0582.jpg

With

DSCN0592.jpg

Details of the sleeves

DSCN0588.jpg

I believe it is Vogue 8280

That is absolutely gorgeous!!

Vanessa

One Too Many
A little more antique than vintage, but here's a linen skirt I made for a picnic a few weeks ago from an original 1912 pattern.

Park2.jpg

It's about as close to the 1940s as my sewing has been lately since I've been working on several time-consuming projects circa the 18th century.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Vanessa said:
A little more antique than vintage, but here's a linen skirt I made for a picnic a few weeks ago from an original 1912 pattern.

Park2.jpg

It's about as close to the 1940s as my sewing has been lately since I've been working on several time-consuming projects circa the 18th century.

Love the colors in this photo....what a great skirt...you look lovely!

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
miss_killin said:
I completed my first sewing project yesterday and am pretty proud :)
A bit eccentric but it was fun to make. I didn't realize you needed a full size pattern :eusa_doh: and had printed one off of the internet, so I had to draw it to scale. My tracing paper wasn't big enough so I used a poster board from my drugstore :eek: horrible idea might I add, very difficult to work with hahaha. I took some netting from a dress I will never fit into again and added it to the bottom, and sewed a couple buttons on the top for fun. Oh and please excuse the mess and the grey pj's, it was veeeery late when I finished lol

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Very cute! I have yet to try a print-out pattern, so I'm always interested to hear the adventures of others.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I completed my first sewing project yesterday and am pretty proud :)
A bit eccentric but it was fun to make. I didn't realize you needed a full size pattern :eusa_doh: and had printed one off of the internet, so I had to draw it to scale. My tracing paper wasn't big enough so I used a poster board from my drugstore :eek: horrible idea might I add, very difficult to work with hahaha. I took some netting from a dress I will never fit into again and added it to the bottom, and sewed a couple buttons on the top for fun. Oh and please excuse the mess and the grey pj's, it was veeeery late when I finished lol

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

*sorry about the duplicate in FAQ, I had asked for help there :)

Blondie

Practically Family
Kamikat, everything you make is fabulous !!!
i would love to be able to sew, i don't think i have the patience
i can barely thread a needle ;)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
He're is my second attempt at Simplicity 3673. I used the pattern for the view c, the same as the dress that Rachael previously posted on here.

2557167692_a01fdde62b.jpg

A friend snapped these of my dancing with one of my regular dance partners.
04-21-09005-1.jpg
04-21-09004-1.jpg

I folded the pattern on the "petite" line, to make the waist fall just a tad lowed than it would have if I cut the pattern to make a full dress out of. I cut the waist band for view A as a continuous piece, on the fold, instead of in two pieces. I also cut it double and seamed the long sides together on one side to make a casing. The shoulder straps are also made using the waist band pattern piece, also cut on the fold, but instead of doing two layers, I only did one and then folded it in half.

I have had several requests from girls I dance with to make them jumpers just like mine, and they're willing to pay for fabric and for my time-- is it unethical to accept the payment?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, too funny! I didn't know you were here, too. I was thinking about U2Uing you at S&S to ask if I could post those pictures here because I knew people here would love how you changed that jumper.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
maggiethespy said:
I have had several requests from girls I dance with to make them jumpers just like mine, and they're willing to pay for fabric and for my time-- is it unethical to accept the payment?
You need to decide what's ethical, but I can tell you what's legal. My BFF is a lawyer and I have asked her opinion on this situation in the past. If each customer buys her own pattern and fabric, then she is only paying for your labor. What you aren't supposed to do is buy the pattern and make a copy of that one for each customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot