Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Shirin

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
3710171840_6be696c3cf.jpg

Too cute! I love that combo. I am really pining for that pattern!

Shirin

A-List Customer
AmyJeanne; What a marvelous dress. The colors are so classic, I know this dress pattern comes way before 1955, yet I couldn't help but think, " Now where have I seen that color combo before? ahh yes that is exactly the colors on a '55 Chevy Bel Air !" I Love your dress!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A perfect summer travel wardrobe...

I've sewn for myself since I learned in summer school before seventh grade. That was way back in 1970 or 1971 I think! When I found out I was pregnant with our first child Sarah, I've sewn for our children. I learned to smock, do more advanced hand embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, and heirloom sewing. I'm a huge Martha Pullen and Austrailia Smocking & Embroidery fan.

Here's what I wore today. I sewed these three pieces as part of the travel wardrobe I made for a church trip to Greece in 2000. All the garments except for a cream knit lace fabric long skirt were of silk. Why silk? Because you can wash silk out in a hotel or ship's cabin sink, and it will air dry overnight in your room. I used a print burnout silk/rayon velvet, print and solid silk charmeuse and solid silk noil fabrics. They never need ironing.

The main color scheme was cream, lt pink, coral and lt. yellow. Every piece was color coordinated. I made one set of bead & crystal jewelry (earrings, necklace, and bracelet) that went with everything. The floral large brooch pin shown on this new hat, was worn on the jacket or on the small multicolored roll up travel hat I took on the trip.
369316449.jpg
369316444.jpg
The print burnout top is reversible, the other side is a solid lt pink charmeuse. The noil jacket has small shoulder pads that snap in, not shown in this picture. The matching shorts have been worn more often that the jacket, so they have much faded.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
sewing classic vintage style children's clothes

These brother/sister matching outfits were sewn by me for our children in Spring 2000. Daniel was 3-1/2, Sarah was 5-1/2. These are three colorations of the same old fashioned circus 30s retro 100% cotton print I found in a local quilt shop. Daniel's sailor shirt was a Creative Needle magazine pattern. His navy blue 100% handkerchief linen six button sailor short pattern from the Martha Pullen book "Heirloom Sewing for Jack and Jill".
369319163.jpg
369319170.jpg

More pics to come of some of the children's clothing I've made as I can get them locate the photogrpahs, and get them scanned into Photoshop, almost all were before digital!

I sewed clothes for them for their christening, birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day, Christmas, First day of school, school picture day, and some summer things too.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
5209_101869474163_624014163_2106244_3397728_n.jpg

Gotta bring the middle button up a bit more (only the top one opens and closes!)

5132_93647069163_624014163_1978424_747205_n.jpg

That's adorable Amy!

Such a strange little underarm seam- but it's so great! I really wish designers now would stop looking at modern fashion as "a waste of fabric" and go back in time just a few more years to pull out some interesting lines- like this dress! All those details make for a great fit and a good conversational piece of clothing!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Amy Jeanne! Love love love you dress!!!! Oh my gosh, I think it's even cuter than the illustration. Lovely!
SwingGal, someday I want to make those. Yours came out so cute!
chanteuseCarey, very cute! I especially love your boy's shorts!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I made this sailor playsuit last week and got to wear it yesterday in the blistering heat of Redlands, Ca. Haha! I NEVER wear shorts, but I like the way these came out :)
sailor01.jpg

sailor07.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lauren said:
WHHAAA!!! I love this picture; it looks like a vintage add for coca cola. Plus all the cars in the background are vintage. Really cool! And I love the playsuit. What pattern did you use? I think it's time for me to take out my sailor playsuit pattern.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
DSC02179.jpg

I finished my keyhole and peplum dress. This is the second one I made. The first one fit wierd. I had to drop the waist an inch. My husband thinks it makes me look like an old lady...:(

Shirin

A-List Customer
Ahh Lauren, you never ease to amaze us with your talent. That outfit is just so darn cute!
And I have to admit, I'm insanely jealous of your teeny tiny little figure! You lucky gal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy