Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hailey greenhat said:
those are rather sweet and the fabric looks vintage too

The gingham fabric is vintage :D circa 1940s (as well as the buttons).

*AW* thanks gals, you all sure know how to make a girl feel special. I havent been hiding my face, just displaying me in cartoon form which is where my mind lives most of the time anyway.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
front-9.jpg
back-4.jpg

This skirt and blouse were not made to go together but they totally do.
The Blouse is from my Simplicity pattern. The skirt I based off a 30s button front I saw on eBay. I figured I didnt need a pattern to make a button front. I repurposed the fabric from a 50s dress I made I never wear and had to do a lot of piecing but it was worth it.

shoulder.jpg
front-10.jpg

The blouse is also re purposed from a dress I never wore. Its made of a stiff quilting cotton, and works great with this pattern (the sleeves hang real well).

4411_1.jpg

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Very cute, LD! I love the detailing on the sleeve. It really shows that you take extra time on all your garments, with all the little details. I really should do more of that.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks . It totally makes the difference.
I generally spend an hour or so hand sewing on nearly every garment I make. I hand do all my hems, just looks so much better to me. I also tack down the facings in all my shirts. I have a thing about facings folding over :rage: And some of the 30s patterns I have have HUGE facing pieces.
This blouse also has a snap fastener spaced after the 4th button so it wouldnt gape open when tucked in/worn.

I did use two colors of thread on this blouse. The construction and hem are in maroon, and the details in white. Even that is a bit much for me :eek:

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I wish I was as attentive to detail, but I don't even have a serger yet so I'm just cranking them out like a sweatshop. Maybe once I get a serger I'll be more careful with little details.

5929_122798464163_624014163_2401222_231328_n.jpg

5849_119349699163_624014163_2357727_4669205_n.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne, that's a doll of a dress!
I wish I had the skills/patience to put together some real garments, especially with some of the tempting old patterns I have lying around.

All I have to show is this very simple skirt I made for my daughter a while ago. The photo is from '05.
405879506_49a08a24fe_o.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
He was her best kitty pal, Dai Whiskers. You can see his tail hanging down, but his head is nuzzling her on the off-camera side, so it IS a bit of an awkward presentation.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
I wish I was as attentive to detail, but I don't even have a serger yet so I'm just cranking them out like a sweatshop. Maybe once I get a serger I'll be more careful with little details.

Nothing on that blouse is overlocked. Serger smurger. Ya dont have to have one to pay attention to detail. You can run a zig zag stitch around each piece and that will work just as well (actually you should if the weave is loose).

I got over my hatred for hand sewing very early (as I did my detest for ironing). You just HAVE TO if you want the garment to have a polished look.

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
What is this serger you speak of? Heck, I just got a zig zag attachment like 8 months ago! There's nothing I can't make well on my straight stitch I need a fancy pants sewing machine to do.

I hate hand sewing, not ironing so much, and yes, you do have to get over both of them in sewing.

Countess

New in Town
I've been looking at this thread and there is a whole host of amazing things that you've all made. Fabulous inspiration! :D

I make some of my own clothes but I'm not *that* good at it yet, but with practice, who knows.

I also detest ironing!

Lady Day said:
Nothing on that blouse is overlocked. Serger smurger. Ya dont have to have one to pay attention to detail. You can run a zig zag stitch around each piece and that will work just as well (actually you should if the weave is loose).

I got over my hatred for hand sewing very early (as I did my detest for ironing). You just HAVE TO if you want the garment to have a polished look.

LD

I have no serger either and I don't want one. Vintage garments either have zig zag as LD mentioned, pinked edges or french seams. I hand sew my hems also. They look soooo much better!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:

LD

yot a woman after my own heart LD!
i have an overlocker but prefer hand finishing most of the time! x

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
OK...now I have something new to practice! And I'll save myself a few hundred dollars! :D

I don't mind ironing. I kinda like seeing the wrinkles disappear :/ Hand sewing is something I used to hate with a passion and would use the machine if I could, but I'm not so avoidant of it now. I love appliques and I have to hand sew them on if I want them to stay. I also hand sew in my zipper tops and bottoms. I'm still learning something new with every dress I make!!

As for vintage patterns, I've come across a couple really brittle ones and I now make it a point to copy ALL my vintage patterns before I make them. I was doing it "the long way" before, now I just put the pattern piece down, put my tissue paper on top, slap my Complete Works Of Oscar Wilde book down on top of them, flatten it out best I can, and trace away! Folding them back up is still a problem sometimes, though.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
As for vintage patterns, I've come across a couple really brittle ones and I now make it a point to copy ALL my vintage patterns before I make them. I was doing it "the long way" before, now I just put the pattern piece down, put my tissue paper on top, slap my Complete Works Of Oscar Wilde book down on top of them, flatten it out best I can, and trace away! Folding them back up is still a problem sometimes, though.

There ya go! :eusa_clap
You could iron the pieces first (very, VERY low heat no steam) but they will never fold back up to their petite glory. Most of my patterns are stored in larger freezer bags along with the envelope and the newly made copy.

Let me just say I LOVE LOVE my serger, its fantastic, and I would not give it up for the world, :D but you dont need one to sew. There have been times when I was putting on a collar in an unraveling fabric but was too lazy to get the serger out, so ziz zag filled in quite nicely.

LD

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
This is really more of a work-in-progress, but I thought I'd show some pictures of my almost-finished dress for the 19th Annual Vintage Flying Museum Hangar Dance.

The pattern is one I purchased online last year-- based on my research, I'd put it at about 1943. The lady who first owned the pattern, Helen Long, made several marks all over the envelope, but I'm not sure she ever actually made the dress that she had envisioned because the pieces seemed to still be in their factory folds.

My Pattern and Fabric:
CIMG1324.jpg

The view I chose to make:
CIMG1325.jpg

I used this detailing on mine, but with double-fold bias-tape instead of ruffling:
CIMG1326.jpg

The Hollywood Star and WOW, What a price!:
CIMG1327.jpg

A close-up of the fabric-- it's a light, breathable crepe:
CIMG1328.jpg

And the (almost)finished product:
CIMG1329.jpg

I promise it looks much less bathrobe-like on, and I'm still waiting on the vintage buttons and buckle I ordered for it to get here-- the buckle in the back gives it more shape It hangs funny when on a hanger, but when on a body looks identical to the pattern photo.

I'm not posting any pictures of me in the dress until after the dance-- I want to keep my look secret until then ;)

maisie

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:
This is really more of a work-in-progress, but I thought I'd show some pictures of my almost-finished dress for the 19th Annual Vintage Flying Museum Hangar Dance.

The pattern is one I purchased online last year-- based on my research, I'd put it at about 1943. The lady who first owned the pattern, Helen Long, made several marks all over the envelope, but I'm not sure she ever actually made the dress that she had envisioned because the pieces seemed to still be in their factory folds.

My Pattern and Fabric:
CIMG1324.jpg

The view I chose to make:
CIMG1325.jpg

I used this detailing on mine, but with double-fold bias-tape instead of ruffling:
CIMG1326.jpg

The Hollywood Star and WOW, What a price!:
CIMG1327.jpg

A close-up of the fabric-- it's a light, breathable crepe:
CIMG1328.jpg

And the (almost)finished product:
CIMG1329.jpg

I promise it looks much less bathrobe-like on, and I'm still waiting on the vintage buttons and buckle I ordered for it to get here-- the buckle in the back gives it more shape It hangs funny when on a hanger, but when on a body looks identical to the pattern photo.

I'm not posting any pictures of me in the dress until after the dance-- I want to keep my look secret until then ;)

Wow! I had a suit a while back that was exactly the same as the red polka dot picture, the same red and white fabric and white cotton trim and everything! The only thing different was it had half circle patch pockets on the bust, but again with the same trim!
It was a really cute suit, however it didn't fit me, so I sold it :(. Its great to see that it may of been made from the same pattern though!

.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112