Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Finished my dust bowl BBQ dress. Couple of touches: vintage (1940s) flower fabric, and orange glass buttons from the 20s. Working on the final accessories now.

sim350.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg

My adventures with this dress are here and here. Final images here :)
*whew*

LD

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Hmmm...me thinks this dress and it's wearer will have a very good time at the Dust Bowl BBQ!

The organge buttons are cute!

Thanks for investing so much time in explaining the craftsmanship. As this is a really new interest for me, it really helps to see and hear about things like facing, or how you notched the curved portion of the pocket, or not wasting vintage fabric on the backside of something.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Inky and Skidoo! I wasnt sure anyone was actually reading my ramblings. Ive decided, I am going to put facing on the back collar. I have a sickness, I know :eek:

LD

BoPeep

Practically Family
Very nice, LadyDay! I love the soft blue and orange contrast. That's exactly my style - pink and brown, red and celery green - I love high contrast/accent colors. Also, thank you for the very extensive explanations on the pattern alterations. I'm 5feet even, short-waisted, narrow shoulders and all the like that goes with being petite. I alter every pattern I use. I guess that takes the "scare" out of working with vintage patterns. I alter new patterns, so what's the difference between that and working with tissue sans markings? Anyhow, thanks for the documentation. Very helpful to fellow sewers!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
LD, the dress looks perfect for a 'Dustbowl' theme. Like the blue and orange, very period. Nice work.

I know what you mean about having to do something like facing the neck, even if only you know about it - I'm just the same with anything I make, which is why it takes me sooooooooooooooooooooo long to finish anything!

:eek:fftopic: but I just finished reading an amazing book about the Dustbowl years. It is called 'The Long Darkness' but was published under a different name in the US. I will look it up and post in the 'What are you Reading?' thread in the Observation Bar.
Such hardship and heartbreak for those families who went through it. I couldn't put it down.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow, thanks ladies! I was worried about the colors, but your reassurance has stopped that :)

The linen is actually a bit more minty green than the pictures show. Its a hard color to photograph. Im also glad Im not alone in my facing obsession. :D The moment I put the finished dress on the hanger I said to myself, "I gotta do something about that."

Miss Sis, that book sounds fascinating, please do share in the reading thread.

BoPeep, I trace off every pattern I make because I dont like working with original patterns and I have to alter everything I make anyway. This takes the worry about sliding a piece of fabric on the table with a vintage pattern pinned to it and just watching it rip in half before your eyes (happened to me :( ).

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran