Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

They're using the patch as a fund raiser of some kind. I'll look for a while, I don't think there's much of a zoot shooter group in Kansas, but there is a large bunch of cowboys.

thanks

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Hi Rover

PERSONALLY, I'd stay away from the H and R or offer the pawn shop $40 and settle for $50. The H and R isn't a popular gun with anyone I've ever met. You're far better off saving for something you'll like. I strongly suggest a smallbore rifle or pistol to start with. .... Go to the range and rent things to shoot, keep track of what you liked and didn't and WHY.

Have fun

Yea, I had already decided not to go with the H&R, at least for now, but I'm going back to the Mediterranean for awhile this summer and I'm hoping to get a 1897 Turkish double-gun that my friend has or one of any number of other vintage shotguns/rifles that are still available there at decent prices.

My dad has a 1936 Remington Model 41 single shot bolt action .22LR (looks like this one I found online)
remington_model_41_rifle-37772.jpg

with a safety I had never seen before.
remington_model_41_gun-9935.jpg

(Thankfully my dad has kept his in much better condition... his looks almost brand new, yet "wonderfully aged.")
- that I'd love to get my hands on. Unfortunately for me, I don't think he plans on giving his up till he dies... which thankfully is probably a long way off...

MPicciotto

Practically Family
MP, I don't know how familiar you are with the Mosins, but here is a great link with detailed take down instructions for them. By the way, if you ever have touch up a stock on those Minwax Red Mahogany stain is an almost perfect match.
http://surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/operations.asp

Thanks! I wasn't familiar with Mosin Nagant's before last week. But I did a lot of reading and looking at videos on the internet. I've stripped cleaned oiled set the firing pin depth and reassembled both rifles. Next up a day at the range.

BTW that's a nice link with clear photos. Easier then some 60 year old badly photocopied line drawings.

Matt

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
=PoohBang; .....What safety are you talking about? The twist at the end of the bolt?

Yeah. I'm sure it's not so uncommon, but it was the first rifle I had seen with the twist-safety...

I grew up in the Mediterranean where quite a few of the old rifles had modified safeties (for comfort/ease of access) or sometimes even "removed" so they "didn't have to bother with getting it ready if it needed to be used"!

Kind of like Colt snubbies and the "Fitzgerald Specials."
Not particularly comforting.... I guess I'm more the type who would rather be safe than sorry. (I like my toes! ) :cool:

Last edited:

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
New Members of the Family-

These new pistols are now part of my battery.

Up first is a S&W 469. It is a compact 9mm semi auto pistol with a 12-round magazine. I haven't shot it yet, but am itching to.

Next up is my Ruger MKII bull barrel .22 semi auto. It is the target version; adjustable sights, heavy bull barrel, etc. It shoots better than I can....
DSCN0573.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a sweet looking revolver. Is it chambered in 45 Colt or the 45 Schofield round? Those are also some nice grips.

Kirk H.
Hi, while we're asking questions on that Schofield, what' it like to shoot with the Eagle and shield grips on it? Does the Eagle beak bite? O.K. that was too cute for a shooting question, but you understand the question right?

Later

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
S&W Schofield clone with a couple .45 S&W hand loads.
Schofield5.jpg

Beautiful craftsmanship! when you say Schoefield clone is that a modern repro or an actual vintage gun "in the style of"? I found after years of ignorantly ridiculing them that I actually have begun to like top-break revolvers and would love to get my hands on a pair of repro "Merwin&Hulbert's" like these that I mentioned in a previous post.
CM-2694.jpg

I also wish that S&W and other gun companies would provide more options for revolvers in 9mm... I've found a few but apparently they're rare collectibles and somewhat difficult to attain.

Last edited:

cw3pa

A-List Customer
The Schifield clones are chambered for .45 Colt, and will chamber & fire .45 Smith & Wesson which is shorter. The rim diameter for the Smith & Wesson round is larger and provides more purchase for the ejector star to eject the spent shells.
No the bird doesn't bite. The grips don't slip in the hand upon recoil like a single action army's can.
Merwin Hulbert & Company has a web site, and it looks like they are producing revolvers again.

Last edited:

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
HD, that is a great display, very nicely done.
Bohemia, there are at least two companies making the Schoefield replicas in both 45 Colt and 45 Schoefield.
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Specialty/Schofield.htm
http://www.ubertireplicas.com/revolver-top.php

Thank you! I knew there had to be someone that made modern replicas.... And thank you CW for the link! That is exactly what I was looking for! Now if I can just save up $1,300.... ;) :p

As to the 1911 B-day, this is a quote from Wikipedia: "Following its success in trials, the Colt pistol was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911, thus gaining its designation, M1911 (Model 1911)." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

So happy birthday M1911! I'm sure most if not all of us have appreciated the gun you were, are, and are becoming!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass