Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Gene

Practically Family
Just purchased yesterday with my tax refund check! 1903-1905 Smith & Wesson M&P (low serial number). There is also a badge number etched into the frame under the cylinder.

SANY3417.jpg

SANY3422.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Just purchased yesterday with my tax refund check! 1903-1905 Smith & Wesson M&P (low serial number). There is also a badge number etched into the frame under the cylinder.

SANY3417.jpg

SANY3422.jpg
That looks like a nice vintage 1950's or early 60's model 10. You can't beat those old revolvers. It seems that the more you shoot them the smother they get. Are you going to put a Tyler T-Grip on it?

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
In ref to the the Schofield clone,that is a sweet looking revolver. I have not had the pleasure yet of shooting one, just the SAA's, and you are right the grip can shift around a little on those. How hard is it to find brass for the 45 S&W round?

Kirk H.

Gene

Practically Family
That looks like a nice vintage 1950's or early 60's model 10. You can't beat those old revolvers. It seems that the more you shoot them the smother they get. Are you going to put a Tyler T-Grip on it?

Kirk H.

Kirk, it's a pre-model 10 and from what I understand they introduced the ramp sight in 1952 and discontinued the tapered barrel in the mid-60's so it's between there. The serial number is C 99xx if anyone can help with the specific date.

I like the way T-Grips look on snubnoses and later Smiths with the bulldog barrels, but on the tapered barrel of a pre-Model 10 I don't really like them too much.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Kirk, it's a pre-model 10 and from what I understand they introduced the ramp sight in 1952 and discontinued the tapered barrel in the mid-60's so it's between there. The serial number is C 99xx if anyone can help with the specific date.

I like the way T-Grips look on snubnoses and later Smiths with the bulldog barrels, but on the tapered barrel of a pre-Model 10 I don't really like them too much.

Gene, that is a low serial number. As far as dating it, two things, the C serial numer series started 1948. The second thing is that I know that Smith used to offer a service where they would trace the history of weapon, when it was manufactured, who it was shipped to, etc. In 1957 S&W started to asign numbers to the weapons, the M&P became the model 10 and the Chiefs Special became the model 36 etc. Smith introduced the bull or heavy barrel in 1957 as an option(the bull barrel had the ramp sight while the "pencil" barrel kept the half moon sight). In late 1960s Smith quit making them with "pencil" barrel and went with the bull barrel.
The earlier M&P revolvers had 5 screws. Four fastened the sideplate and one (through the trigger guard) retained the cylinder stop plunger. Then the top screw on the sideplate was eliminated and the S&W became a 4-screw. Later the frame was changed and the cylinder stop plunger screw was eliminated and the S&W became a 3-screw.
So it looks like your M&P was made somewhere between 1948 and 1957. You got a nice revolver there. It would be neat if you could find out what PD the weapon went to and trace the badge number down.
I hope this helps and you have many enjoyable range sessions with that great weapon.

Regards

Kirk H.

Last edited:

cw3pa

A-List Customer
In ref to the the Schofield clone,that is a sweet looking revolver. I have not had the pleasure yet of shooting one, just the SAA's, and you are right the grip can shift around a little on those. How hard is it to find brass for the 45 S&W round?

Kirk H.
Starline makes .45 S&W (schofield) brass amoung many others, and it can be ordered through Midway USA.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starline makes .45 S&W (schofield) brass amoung many others, and it can be ordered through Midway USA.
Make sure you sign up with a MidwayUSA account. They email you with specials (whoppee), and on varying Holidays and sometimes your birthday, you get an extra % off. I bought my Marvel Conversion for $300 back when it was regularly $360 (roughly). Great place to do business with.

Later

Mark G

A-List Customer
Make sure you sign up with a MidwayUSA account. They email you with specials (whoppee), and on varying Holidays and sometimes your birthday, you get an extra % off. I bought my Marvel Conversion for $300 back when it was regularly $360 (roughly). Great place to do business with.

Later

I have to second that. Great company to deal with, Much like Dillon Precision.

Renault

One Too Many
My Husqvarna 648 I rechambered to 9.3 x 62 mm. This rifle has a commercial FN 98 action and was probably built in the late 40's. I took a 6 x 6bull elk last October with her that scored 351 7/8 B & C. I also took a pretty impressive wild hog here in the front yard with it less than 12 hours after I did the re-chamber work!!!!! Yep I live in the sticks!

100_2078.jpg

Renault

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks Deacon. It was quite the hunt. Lots of fresh snow!!!!!! Except for the required orange had on my Chippewa Mills Mack and a pair of P49 Canadian BD trousers! LOVE wool!!!!
100_2322.jpg

While on the subject of rifles, here's a vintage Krag Sporter from my collection!
100_2153.jpg

Love the old bolt rifles.

Renault

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
That a Sedgley Krag?

I've wondered, but I've never been able to find any Sedgley marks on it. I dunno if they marked all their rifles or not. Has an awesome bore. One of the reasons I snagged it up. Redfield receiver sight. I think I'll take it to the mountains this season!

Renault

earl

A-List Customer
Not real gun fans here. Only gun in the house is an 1864 US Colt musket. Guess that qualifies as the most "vintage" thing I own. Am sure it hasn't been fired since the Civil War, if then. Earl

Kirk H.

One Too Many

Thanks for the info on the brass. That Schofield is vey nice. I have heard of Midway but have not dealt with them before. Also thanks to 1961MJS for his recomendations for Midway.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy