Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

shortbow

Practically Family
Can't post a pic because I'm too computer illiterate, but I just picked up a Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57. Just over 7 pounds, 24" barrel, minty metalwork, 15"lop, xlnt wood, not d&t'd, made 1934. A true African medium game Mauser. Nothing made today can compare for the quality, svelt lines and handling. Price? $295 Canadian dollars. Out of the several hundred guns I've owned over the years, probably my best score and my hands down favourite. It's gonna be a long wait 'till moos season.:)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've been shooting SASS since 1998, so while I don't claim to be any sort of authority, I've been around the block a little, so if I can help you out in any way just let me know!

Clayton

Clayton,

You cleared up a lot of confusion for me with just that post. Thanks! I'll probably PM you as I have more questions.

-Dave

jeep44

One of the Regulars
How about something a bit...older? I just put this Northstar West Trade gun together, and shot it for the first time saturday. This type of gun was developed for trade with the North American indians by outfits like the Hudsons Bay Company, and it was a strong, durable smoothbore musket.

S6000799.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
Are you sure you can't give posting photos a try. I'd like to see this Husky. I love seeing guns like older Husqvarna, Parker Hale, Voere, CZ etc. that can be found at bargain.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Guns in my vault... I wish!

Please try to focus on the more classic firearms you have, or enjoy, or aspire to ;)
:eusa_clap

Well, I've only recently returned to a country with gun laws that are open enough to allow me to acquire a firearm, so these would be in my "aspire" list... ;) :eusa_clap

(Unfortunately, these are all off the internet, so I would like to credit whoever took these pictures which I found via Google.)

CM-2694.jpg

Merwin & Hulbert break-top revolvers, good for pocket carry...

1911_jpg.jpg

A 1911 (engraved by WH Harris, I believe)

547-2.jpg

A 9mm revolver, believe it or not! apparently only a few thousand of these were made for the Israeli Police, but I would dearly like to get my hands on one of them...( $$$$ )

And, best of all, my friend ("bro") has a stainless+white grips version of this: (Radom VIS)
DSC06317.jpg

Which he has mentioned possibly giving me for my 21st birthday!

As far as long guns, I've considered getting
HRSB1011lg.jpg

H&R '88 Single Shot, which my local gun/pawn is selling for $70.00
And
17522_1744_1_lg.jpg

K98 Mauser.

Any thoughts on inexpensive ways to acquire vintage/repro firearms on a "Walmart" budget? (Factor in that I'm also getting married this summer - very few private expenses...)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
And, best of all, my friend ("bro") has a stainless+white grips version of this: (Radom VIS)
DSC06317.jpg

Which he has mentioned possibly giving me for my 21st birthday!

My father has one of these that my uncle acquired as a WWII "bring back". His has the brown bakelite grips and is machined fairly well. The Nazis took over the factory in Poland and as the war progressed and Germany's fortunes waned, the quality of these pistols really declined. Unfinished wood grips and very rough metalwork were commonplace towards the end.

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Bohemian, once you hit 21 you can apply for a Curio & Relic FFL. The C&R allows you to buy guns over 50 years old or deemed a curio by the ATF as a licensed dealer for collecting. The license is $30 for 3 years and is the best bargain out there. It allows dealers and wholesalers to sell to you and you can also buy ammo through it, all at wholesale. This is NOT a sellers license, only for your collecting purposes, but I have had one for years and it is great. I am a moderator at Surplus Rifle and please check this section out for more info on these guns. Make sure you say hello while you are there.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
My father has one of these that my uncle acquired as a WWII "bring back". His has the brown bakelite grips and is machined fairly well. The Nazis took over the factory in Poland and as the war progressed and Germany's fortunes waned, the quality of these pistols really declined. Unfinished wood grips and very rough metalwork were commonplace towards the end.

The Radom VIS model 35... This one was a "bring back" as well, and was given to my friend as payment for some roof work by the son of the man who "liberated" it. We spent 3 hours cleaning it as we didn't want to damage any of the historical value, but the next day we actually had it in shooting condition! Shoots like a champ and more accurate than any other pistol I've shot, but needs more oil to keep the slide from sticking when it's cycling. Shooting such an important piece of history is like no other feeling! Now I want EVERY vintage gun! well, ok, I'll stick with as many as I can shoot... 365? (one for each day of the year... ;) )

DeaconKC, would you mind sending me a PM to explain the C&R more? I didn't find a post specific to explaining it on that forum, and the last thing I need is more passwords to remember, so if you don't mind... Thanks!

Also, I live in Florida, and our gun laws are good enough that I can actually own any gun (within type 1 firearms) as long as I keep them on private property. I can legally carry any (type 1 = "normal" ) pistol at 21 if I get a CCW, which I'm planning on getting.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Johnny, I know what you mean. I have waited a long time to find one that good. Now for a Tyler T grip for it and a proper vintage holster.

Bohemian, You're not set up for PMs yet pal. Email me at the address on my sig.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Remington Model 11 riot/messenger gun, marked (and 'X'd out) ARKHAM SANITARIUM.
Yes, that's a 96/98 Mauser (extended) bolt handle.

ArkhamSanatorium2.jpg

I crack myself up. I really do.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Remington Model 11 riot/messenger gun, marked (and 'X'd out) ARKHAM SANITARIUM.
Yes, that's a 96/98 Mauser (extended) bolt handle.

see pic above.

I crack myself up. I really do.
Hi

That would be a GREAT gun for Zoot-shooting and you'd be really unpopular with the rest of the shooters dressed as security for an Insane Asylum. 1911, Tommy gun, Shotgun, and straight jacket.

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I've only recently returned to a country with gun laws that are open enough to allow me to acquire a firearm, so these would be in my "aspire" list... ;) :eusa_clap

As far as long guns, I've considered getting
H&R '88 Single Shot, which my local gun/pawn is selling for $70.00

Any thoughts on inexpensive ways to acquire vintage/repro firearms on a "Walmart" budget? (Factor in that I'm also getting married this summer - very few private expenses...)
Hi Rover

PERSONALLY, I'd stay away from the H and R or offer the pawn shop $40 and settle for $50. The H and R isn't a popular gun with anyone I've ever met. You're far better off saving for something you'll like. I strongly suggest a smallbore rifle or pistol to start with. A CZ-452 bolt action .22 rifle will last you and your grandkids forever as will either a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk 1, 2, or 3 pistol. These are all very accurate guns too. Go to the range and rent things to shoot, keep track of what you liked and didn't and WHY.

Have fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner