Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
Very nice additions all! Nice case Sarge! And a primo carbine Cocker!

Still tryng to figure out what I'm gonna do with this????

I like it! Long story as to my acquiring it. Guess it will get converted into my new BBQ gun. Never really saw a need for taking one to a BBQ. But it is Texas.

Thinking a pair of Mexican eagle grips?????

SurfGent

Suspended

I like it! Long story as to my acquiring it. Guess it will get converted into my new BBQ gun. Never really saw a need for taking one to a BBQ. But it is Texas.

Actually you should get black slacks and black dress shirt and a nice Panama and a shoulder rig. Perhaps get a new BMW or Caddalacc escalade

SurfGent

Suspended
600px-Dundee2_69.jpg

Crocodile Dundee 2

DeaconKC

One Too Many

Wow Renault, I'm thinking maybe some really pretty burl grips for that 1911.

SurfGent

Suspended
Oh ya. Day 2 on the Mauser restoration. What a pain in the ass Cosmo is. I've already burned threw 1/4 box of q tips. A 500 box. And 3 big nice Terry cloth rags

SurfGent

Suspended
I'm gonna scrub the stock today see if I can get the results I want with just a little soap and water. I'd like to leave it original as possible. Shiny new looking stocks are nice but I don't want to rub away any of the glory of this old war horse.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
If you wander down the aisle in the grocery store labeled "cleaning supplies" you ought to come across a product called Murphy's Wood Oil. It's a cleaner especially designed to take grunge off wood. I used it to clean the cabinets in my old house before putting it on the market and am about to use it on a vintage Craftsman rocking chair I scored on my evening walk. Once it's clean I'll have it reupholstered in deerskins from one of my Texas trips. Gotta love that Texas venison!

SurfGent

Suspended
So a little Dawn soap and really hot water goes a long way. Now a little light touch with some 325 grt follow with some boiled linseed oil and a rag and will be good to go

Renault

One Too Many
Looking good Surfgent. Also another thing that works good on stocks is spray easy off oven cleaner.

For removing Cosmo try some naphtha, white gas or Coleman fuel all about the same, and give it a good soaking and paint brushing. Smells better than straight up gasoline. But that will work too in a pinch. Just be careful.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I'm gonna scrub the stock today see if I can get the results I want with just a little soap and water. I'd like to leave it original as possible. Shiny new looking stocks are nice but I don't want to rub away any of the glory of this old war horse.
Use odorless Mineral Spirits, that has served me well over the years.

SSuperDave

New in Town
You can wrap the stock in a black plastic bag and put it in the sun for a few hours, it'll sweat the Cosmoline out. Wipe it off and repeat if necessary.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up

If you ask me, I think it looks stunning as it is. Like @SurfGent said, it looks good with the faux ivory grips on the nickel finish. Or maybe I'm just a suckered for the combination myself.

SurfGent

Suspended
I think it's all about what level of restoration you are going for, Completely reblueing all parts and going for that level of restoration may warrent more attention to the furniture. But for a Cosmo clean to shoot. My dawn and linseed oil prescription for this gun did the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner