Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

show us your lippy

Miss Cicero

New in Town
SarahLouise said:
This thread might help - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20273&highlight=coral

Boots No7 have a really bright coral shade called Gay Geranium but beware it is *really* vibrant. Good luck!

Ooh! I have Gay Geranium and I love it. I wore it for the first time in ages on Saturday night and I don't think I've ever had so many comments on my lipstick - even the fellas were asking what the colour was called! lol
It IS quite lurid, but I find it brightens up my face quite nicely - it's one of those colours that makes you look as if you've switched your inner light on. Plus it's got great staying power - one coat and you're sorted for hours. And no, I don't have shares in Boots plc!

Other corals I like are 'Eager' (a reddish shade) and 'Vegas Volt' (pink/peach), both by MAC. The fashion magazines have all been raving about Revlon's Kiss Me Coral recently - haven't tried it myself but it looks like a nice 1950s orangey-red.

lyburnum

Practically Family
IMG_9998.jpg

Okay, so today I tried the Audrey Hepburn method of applying my lipstick (slightly extended upper lip and sharp cupids bow), however I'm not sure it totally looks right. I feel a little like a clown with it like that. Any thoughts?

Blondie

Practically Family
Tinseltown said:
Can anyone please rec a lippie for me?
Pic is on former page.
I think with your colouring you could pretty much wear most reds.
The best thing would be to go into a store like MAC and try on
different reds and see which one you like !

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Blondie said:
I think with your colouring you could pretty much wear most reds.
The best thing would be to go into a store like MAC and try on
different reds and see which one you like !
I've done that but faves like Russian red and Ruby Woo look pink on me.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
If they look pink, maybe try something with a more orange undertone? I've heard Johanna recommend the Flamenco shade from Clinique, but I have not tried it yet. I do agree that Russian Red comes off a bit pink:

2364098261_0243dcda41.jpg

I believe Johanna wrote that this is the Flamenco shade:

2343614548_d45c0b41b4.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Laura Chase. Whatare you wearing? It looks perfect on you.

Tinseltown. I also find it hard to find what I'm looking for. My skin is kind of yelow and I think that's why they all look pink on me. How about you?

I think the MAC Russian red looked less pink than the Ruby Woo. How about you?

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
I find Ruby Woo very drying since it's matte so I wouldn't recommend putting lip seal over it, as I'd imagine that it would make it crack even more. As Pigeontoe mentioned, I always apply a layer of lip balm before I apply any lipstick as it's provides the lipstick with a base. Ruby Woo wears off quite quickly, particularly on the inner ring of my mouth, so when I need to apply I do wipe it off the best I can and try again otherwise it just builds up and doesn't look very nice. For lasting power you could try the following - line your lips in a matching liner to your lipstick, apply one coat of lipstick with a brush, blot with a tissue, apply another coat, blot again and then apply a light coating of powder. It works though I must admit I don't always have the time to do this!

What powder do I use?

The only powder I have around is scented dusting powder, or skin colored compact powder... Neither I imagine are too tasty. lol

I have a predisposition to flicking my tongue on my lips. *not like this: :p* (Hence why I go around looking as pale as death! :(

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Miss Cicero said:
The fashion magazines have all been raving about Revlon's Kiss Me Coral recently - haven't tried it myself but it looks like a nice 1950s orangey-red.

I got this for a quid in a beauty sale at work out of curiosity and it's very, very orangey. I'm really not sure coral shades suit me but I'm determined to find a shade! I've just got it in my head that corals suit blondes more.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
New Fave Red

Hey Tinseltown,
Ruby Woo looked a tad pink on me too. I picked up Red Lizard by NARS at Sephora ($24 eek) and it is perfect. It is a semi-matte but looks totally rich and matte, I love it. I'd rather pay $24 for one I know looks good than $5 for 5 different ones that end up in my junk make-up I never wear. I love all the recs on here, you gals are fab!
Tonya

lizylou

Familiar Face
Yesterday I went to the BX and bought Revlon's Lip stain in Blood Orange. BOY I LOVE IT!!!! Im terrible getting pictures put on the computer, so I will have to give it a go. It might take a few attempts.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mary said:
Laura Chase. Whatare you wearing? It looks perfect on you.

Tinseltown. I also find it hard to find what I'm looking for. My skin is kind of yelow and I think that's why they all look pink on me. How about you?

I think the MAC Russian red looked less pink than the Ruby Woo. How about you?

I'm wearing Russian Red. I've heard that Russian Red should appear less pink. I thought it was because it was a red-based red whereas Ruby Woo was an blue-based red, but Mac's website says that they are both blue-based.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Ruby Woo definitely looks slightly blueish on me, the Russian Red looks orangey on me. Its funny how skin tone affects the colour so much!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
Ruby Woo definitely looks slightly blueish on me, the Russian Red looks orangey on me. Its funny how skin tone affects the colour so much!

It's the same on me. I can really recommend everyone to use Makeup Alley, the reviews there are so useful when you are looking for your perfect red (or coral, or whatever else).

Ruby Rouge

New in Town
hello everyone from a newbie :)

I'm constantly on the lookout for that perfect red lippy that will make men fall to there knees & worship the ground you walk on lol , unsurprisingly I haven't found it yet, so i took a tip from Marilyn Monroe & mix anything up to 5!! different reds to achieve my desired look. Starting with the darkest red & getting lighter towards the middle of the lips.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Welcome Ruby! I know that eternal search all too well. I tend to keep a few lippies for blending, too. If I ever hit that magic combination, I swear I will melt it down and put it in one of my lip compacts and keep it forever and ever. :) I would love to see your combo!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Ruby Rouge said:
hello everyone from a newbie :)

I'm constantly on the lookout for that perfect red lippy that will make men fall to there knees & worship the ground you walk on lol , unsurprisingly I haven't found it yet, so i took a tip from Marilyn Monroe & mix anything up to 5!! different reds to achieve my desired look. Starting with the darkest red & getting lighter towards the middle of the lips.

I do a similar thing when I'm doing a Marilyn look, a red lipliner and then three or four different lipsticks and a touch of gloss at the centre. Its a tricky one to pull off in daylight but works beutifully for evening or in photos. A flat red is best for daytime as the blending / fading on the Marilyn technique can make it look like your lipstick is wearing off...

The only problem is you have to carry three or four lipsticks with you when you go out, as well as all the usual stuff, and vintage purses don't come that big!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo