Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pedigree! The Heritage Thread.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My mother is Italian, my father is Greek. I want to know where I got my fair skin and blue eyes, but a geneology search revealed nothing. I'd blame the milkman if I didn't look just like Dad.

Same here! Nobody else in my family has red hair or green eyes, so either those recessive genes were buried well, or a mailman who looks a lot like my dad is to blame here.

DNO

One Too Many
My mother was French-Canadian (ancestors came from a village outside of Paris in 1640). My father was English-Canadian (ancestors came from Scarborough, Yorkshire in 1840). Makes me pretty well Canadian, methinks.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My genes are a 100% pure heritage of the genuine settlers from Vojvodina. :)

And we are RARE.. with all the immigrants that came over the past 100 years. All the mixed marriages, and we became endangered species, almost extinct. "Look.." one time a woman pulled her husband's hand and pointed her finger at us (my friend and I) "Real Vojvodians!".
..I'm NOT a polar bear, woman!! lol
What I like to say, when to question pops (question being "Where do you REALLY come from?) is:
"I really don't come from anywhere. My family hasn't CAME, we have been here since the Great Swamp dried out and made our land inhabitable."

*puts her head way up, like a peacock*

lol

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
It seems I'm 100% Irish - my brother has been tracing our family tree and so far there haven't been any outside influences - he's gone back a couple of hundred years so I'd say that's that.

Dan'l

Practically Family
England and Scotland on dad's side, been here since mid 1600s

England and Germany on mom's side, can't get a straight answer as to how long they've been here lol

What have I gotten from my roots? A love for tweed lol

george

New in Town
Half French/Canadian (my dad's side)
Half Greek (my mom's side)

Generally consider myself Greek-American because I'm in touch with my Greek roots and the traditions and culture, it's how I was raised. My mom's side is relatively new to America, and the great majority of the family remains in Greece. My mom and her parents came over in 1961, my mom was 13 months old at the time.

Might make you wonder why I'm even at this forum, seeing as my family wasn't really around for the "Golden Era." The '40s in Greece were a lot different than they were in America, too. Well, like a lot of Greeks, my family is conservative and has pride... they have a lot of "old school" values. Similar values to "old school" Americans. And of course those were part of my upbringing too.

My dad was not as in touch with his roots as my mom was (and definitely not as much as my mom's parents were, who I also grew up with), so I grew up a Greek-American. Besides my parents, my maternal grandparents played a huge role in my life growing up.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
I am English, Irish, German and Welsh. My family has for the most part been in this country well before its time.

My Grandmother on my moms side was Welsh, and they came over on the Mayflower in the early 1600s (My 12th Great Grandfather was passanger Stephen Hopkins)

My Grandfather on my moms side was from Germany and settled in the Pennsylvania area in the early 1700s. (Surname was Weiser)

On my fathers side, my grandmothers family name was Naylor and they came to the US in the early 1600s from England and settled in Virginia.

My Grandfathers side of the family on my dads side the family name is Kirby and they came over from Ireland in the early 1800s to New York.

So for the most part my blood is made up of primarily founding familys of America, having most in the United States before there even was a United States. I'm Old Blood I guess you could say.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Until quite recently I thought I had nothing but Swedish peasant in my family, but has since found out I have a lot of Danish ancestors as well as Wallons (Beligian). Also a smattering of Scottish- a cadet branch of the clan Bethun moved to Sweden in the 17th century. To my complete surprise I also have a couple of kings- a Polish king I never heard of, Harald Bluetooth and, like I think 1/4 of Europe's population; Charlemange.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Tracing the footsteps of my family is easy once you get back to the time period of 1800's. My Mother's side of the family is Dutch, my Father's German. Both had relative's that had arriving times coming to the U.S.A within a few months of each other in 1801. Prior to that, my Father's side of the family always lived in what is known as the Black Forest area in Germany, and my Mother's side of the family lived in Amsterdam for the most part.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
On my dad's side:
My grandfather was 100% Italian and his folks came from Volpiano, Italy - my username, Amateis, is the family surname. However, there is a legend going around in our family that Amateis is an old French name. This is possible considering the House of Savoy ruled the part of Italy we came from way back when.

Ahem...moving on. My grandmother is a German from Russia. Rosenberg, Russia, to be exact.

On my mom's side:

Polish and Scots-Irish. I know MUCH less about this side of the family, which is unfortunate.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
On Mum's side, both Grandma and Grandpa are pretty much pure Norwegian (with maybe a bit of Swedish thrown in as well).

On Dad's side, it's a mixed bag. Pappa was mostly Norwegian, but throw in some Swedish, German and a pinch of Cherokee as well. Nanna was a mix of German, English and Irish.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Generally consider myself Greek-American because I'm in touch with my Greek roots and the traditions and culture, it's how I was raised. My mom's side is relatively new to America, and the great majority of the family remains in Greece. My mom and her parents came over in 1961, my mom was 13 months old at the time.
Didn't you know, all it takes is a single drop of Greek blood to call yourself Greek? ;) Sometimes, all it takes is marrying into a Greek family. My grandmother was raised in an orphanage and had no idea of her heritage. She married my grandfather and became Greek :D We've had several people marry into the family and convert to Orthodoxy and adopt all the traditions and culture. My blood may be half Italian, but I consider myself Greek all the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24