Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LolitaHaze said:
Daisy... Hehehehe isn't Marcella and her boyfriend just too adorable?!

They are so adorable! My Mom just gave me 3 large travel photo albums of my Grandmother and her family, as well as a photo album that contained pictures, letters and other memorabilia from my Grandpa's tour of duty during WWII. Your pictures of Marcella remind me a lot of some of the pictures of my Grandmother. She has some amazing ski pictures as well as pictures from cruises and trips to New England beaches and New York boardwalks. I'm in the process of scanning them all, but there's so much stuff it's quite an undertaking. My Mom has at least 20 more memory books that I have yet to be able to look at. I'm gonna post pictures soon.
SarahB said:
That dress is cute! My mum still doesn't really 'get' the vintage look and thinks my 50s beaded cardigans are horrible! lol

I'm not glad to hear that your Mom isn't understanding of your vintage. But it's slightly reassuring that my Mom isn't the only one doing this. My Mom is the queen of dirty looks and underhanded comments. Don't get me wrong, I love her with all my heart. But, she's rather critical of anyone who deviates from her perception of what's normal. I've been dealing with it since I was a little kid. She wanted to dress me exactly as she dressed. When all my friends were wearing fun and trendy clothes I was a 12 year old stuck in a 35 year old woman's outfit! But, it does really get to me and she does make some attempts to be accepting of my style. It's sad too, because I rarely wear all out vintage when I'm with her, and she still doesn't like the way I dress. I don't dress vintage everyday. My every day look is more on the preppy side, I don't really shop anywhere but JCrew and Banana Republic, which she does approve of. But, I have some very cute repro dresses which I wear on a regular basis. I don't always do my hair and I've always worn make-up, but for the most part I'll wear lighter shades unless I'm full on vintage. She's a little nicer to me when I'm dressed like this:( But, I really don't care, my sister and I make fun of her Lily Pulitzer outfits all the time:eek:lol

EDIT: Oh My Goodness, I just realized this is my 3,000th post:eek:

BegintheBeguine

My mom started my love for vintage with her fabulous outfits. She buys me vintage to this day form church sales and such in Central Florida. I buy her cute shirts from thrift stores; we know each other's tastes.
I love Lilly! But as a gal with a salary of about $12,000 a year, I know I'm not her intended wearer. When I went to Key West I purchased some fabric from the supplier to make cute things and I own about 12 items from the 60s to the recent past.
Funny about people's moms, though, isn't it? ;)
Yay, 3000!

Daisy Buchanan

BegintheBeguine said:
My mom started my love for vintage with her fabulous outfits. She buys me vintage to this day form church sales and such in Central Florida. I buy her cute shirts from thrift stores; we know each other's tastes.
I love Lilly! But as a gal with a salary of about $12,000 a year, I know I'm not her intended wearer. When I went to Key West I purchased some fabric from the supplier to make cute things and I own about 12 items from the 60s to the recent past.
Funny about people's moms, though, isn't it? ;)
Yay, 3000!

That's great that you can share your love of vintage with your Mom!!!

I actually like Lily too, but it's sometimes not the most flattering on all figures. I'm short, and round:eek: big flower patters aren't flattering on my figure....
I think my Mom over does it a bit, but she's still my Mom and I think she's cute no matter what she wears!!!!

Sunny

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
I picked up some old photos today...

She's pretty and I love the dress.
vintagephoto0011.jpg

Look closely at her feet. She's got two-tone spectator shoes!

Sunny

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
We named this girl Marcella... see if you can figure out why. :)

Iceskating with boyfriend.
vintagephoto0007.jpg

Marcella and her boys.
vintagephoto0014.jpg
Lolita, please post these two on the women's outdoor wear thread! They're fantastic examples of real winter sportswear.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
My Mom is the queen of dirty looks and underhanded comments. Don't get me wrong, I love her with all my heart. But, she's rather critical of anyone who deviates from her perception of what's normal.

I'm so glad to say my mom finally STOPPED acting like that when I started dressing vintage! Even when I'm dressed a little 'outlandishly' perhaps, like in a bright coral vintage dress, seamed stockings, heels, hair coiffed and red lipstick on, just to go to the grocery store with her she won't give me a dirty look. But back when I expressed myself through band t-shirts and ratty Dickies...well, that was another story. She hated that!

Lolita, I love the old photos! I picked up a whole bunch recently at an estate sale (I have at least 2,000 old photos in total). I need to scan them!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
My mom loves the vintage look. She even printed out pictures I had on the computer and showed them to my grandma on Mother's Day! :eek:

vintagelaura

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
But it's slightly reassuring that my Mom isn't the only one doing this. My Mom is the queen of dirty looks and underhanded comments. Don't get me wrong, I love her with all my heart. But, she's rather critical of anyone who deviates from her perception of what's normal.

Our moms could be sisters! It *is* nice to know that I'm not the only one with a mom like that. She criticizes my job (in fact, every job I've had since I graduated from college), my clothes, my wedding, my husband...you name it, she doesn't like it!

And here are my two most recent purchases - two sewing patterns:

b2b3_10.JPG

bb0e_10.JPG

Laura

Miss_Bella_Hell

Wow, I love that "truly teen style" pattern!

I haven't been ebaying or buying AT ALL lately, except food and an album from iTunes. It's weird, but I don't miss it, since my closet is overstuffed anyway!

Sunny

One Too Many
I was so surprised to get this one!

vchrblgl2.JPG
vchrblgl4.JPG

It's so 1930s I'm about to die. And after all the cute tan, peach, salmon, and coral dresses I've been seeing lately, this one is in MY color!

Another dress I was watching (black crocheted 1930s dress) went for nearly three times as much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred