Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Regarding sniping services, as far as I know ebay doesn't have anything against them. I would say that sellers probably tend to get the short end of the stick though, because the natural string of bidding increases the price (so it's not really "artificially inflated" prices).

However, it's an accepted tool to be used. I fail to see how it is unfair, as anyone could use this tool if they wanted to. In my opinion, it's smart tactics, like buying a coat on sale during the summer.

Just my 2 cents...I mean 1 cent! lol

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Tough Cookie said:
It seems that many of the pictures posted become rexed (red-X'ed) very quickly...I end up not getting to see a lot of folks' pictures. What's going on with that?

Are you viewing the forums from work? Does your office block ebay? Often the pictures are using the ebay address rather than hosted on something like imageshack.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
65b0_1.JPG
bbd4_1.JPG

Ohmygosh!! I looked at it quickly and loved the print, but it took me a few minutes to realize it was letters! For some reason that makes it even more adorable!! :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all the sweet compliments. I've been on the hunt for so long now for a day dress in this style. I couldn't pass it up.

Kimberly all of your dresses are great, and that bathing suit is wonderful. I really like the first dress. I don't have the courage to wear too many bolder colors. I've just recently begun to wear red and green. I love green now, I found out if I wear the same color as my eyes, it brings attention to them, thus taking away attention from areas that I try to hide:D You really have been getting some great stuff. I think we should meet up for a shopping trip, you've got a great eye!

exquisitebones said:
I totally agree, I have lost SO many auctions to people who used programs rather than actually attempt to win an item themselves.
its NOT FAIR, in my opinion. but.. i guess everyone feels differently about it.
i feel it gives people an unfair advantage...
I have lost alot of things to those stupid "bots"

OK, first off, this is only my opinion. I just want the other side of using a sniper to be seen.
Although I do see where you're coming from, using a sniper service is in no way different than someone watching an auction and bidding in the last few seconds. It just eases a bit of the stress of wondering if your network is gonna crash in the middle of placing a bid, which has happened to me too many times, and for me it prevents me from upping my max bid to an amount way higher than I planned on spending (which is what happened with the above dress:rage: I have absolutely no willpower:eek:). So it might seem unfair but in actuality it isn't any different than placing the bid yourself. I won the above dress without using a sniper, I watched it and placed my bid with 10 seconds left in the auction, and I won it. I did the same thing that most other ebay members do, the same thing that a sniper would have done. When it comes down to it it isn't about who uses what to get their bid in, it's about who gets that bid in at the very last second.
Also in regards to the fairness of it, snipers are available to everyone and they aren't so expensive that some people wouldn't be able to use them. So it's really not unfair. Regardless of if you choose to use one or not, the majority of bidders know that there are sniper services out there, and they are available to each and every one of us. It would only be unfair if these companies didn't offer their services to every one. This is just my opinion. Just like I've won auctions using them, I've lost equally as many to others who probably use them too. In the end, bidding on ebay is like playing a hand of black jack. It's really all luck, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But you're all playing from the same deck, so each player does have the same odds (well, except those with slow internet connections), just like each ebayer has the option to either attempt to place a bid at the very last second, or use a sniper to place a bid for them at the very last second. It's all a matter of personal choice and how each one of us plays the game. It would only be unfair if some people had access to things that would help them win, and others did not. Anyone who has access to ebay has access to a sniper service.

Sunny

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Also in regards to the fairness of it, snipers are available to everyone and they aren't so expensive that some people wouldn't be able to use them. So it's really not unfair. ... It would only be unfair if some people had access to things that would help them win, and others did not. Anyone who has access to ebay has access to a sniper service.

I use Just Snipe, which is free for five bids a week. I've never had need to use more.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
It´s georgous Daisy!!!

So here is what I got me.... I didn´t wanted to buy dresses on ebay for some months... but I had to have this one!!!!!

2007-03-28%20001.jpg

2007-03-28%20002.jpg

2007-03-28%20003.jpg

2007-03-28%20004.jpg

2007-03-28%20005.jpg

I was the only one bidding on this gem and I got it for about 30 $.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy, I would love to go shopping with you too. You have a fantastic eye! That dress is stunning. :eek: Allthough I think the two of us could get into some serious trouble though. I have been in a buying spree lately and it seems to be getting worse. lol

Anyhow, I love to dress in green clothes because I too have green eyes and I like the way it brings them out. I bet you look fantastic in emerald green with your eyes and pretty hair color.

Daisy Buchanan

Cherry_Bombb said:
Ohmygosh!! I looked at it quickly and loved the print, but it took me a few minutes to realize it was letters! For some reason that makes it even more adorable!! :)
Thank You Cherry_Bombb!!
I didn't realize it either, even though the auction title said it "sparrows spell out the alphabet". It's one of those tricks on the eye I think. I'm not sure if it will be as noticeable when I wear it as it is when it's lying flat and stretched out. This is a bold step for me. My Mom always told me that patterns or bigger flowers were unflattering on my short frame. Even when I was a smaller size I stayed away from any kind of print on the bottom, unless it was really small. I can't imagine what she would say about this piece! But, part of the thing I've always loved about vintage dresses are the whimsical patterns. I've never owned one before. I was once told that a girl can make anything look lovely if she wears it with confidence. I guess I'll have to have exude confidence when I wear this one, and maybe people won't notice how the larger pattern makes my back side look giant!:D

Daisy Buchanan

Oh My Sari, that dress is lovely! The color will be stunning on you. At first glance I too thought it was thirties, but upon seeing the lining on the top I wonder if it is earlier than that, possibly teens. I know they still used those linings in the 30's, but all my dresses from the 20's and earlier have that same exact fabric lining (forgive me, I don't know what the fabric is called, it looks and feels like muslin, but I know hardly anything about fabrics). To me it looks Edwardian, one of my favorite eras for clothing, but they can be so very expensive. You got yourself a heck of a deal!!

Kimberly, thanks so much for the sweet compliments!! Yes, shopping together would be fun, but it could also be very dangerous!! There's something about going vintage shopping with another vintage collector that makes you want to buy even more than usual. Just ask Jitterbugdoll. She and I did some shopping together, and we both did some serious damage! Although I'm absolutely thrilled that she's gonna be living in Boston (about a mile from me, and the closest vintage shoppe is less than a mile from both of us, yahoo:D), the two of us together in Bobby's warehouse (the vintage dealer I've befriended) could get in some serious trouble!

ladyk

Familiar Face
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm so happy I just won this cute day dress. The skirt has sparrows on it that spell out the alphabet! This is definitely the most interesting fabric pattern I own.
I went a bit over my max bid policy, but I just had to have it. I hope it's as cute in person. Here's the link, you might be able to see the pattern better from her enlarged pics. They were just too big for me to post.
65b0_1.JPG
bbd4_1.JPG

oh that is just heavenly!

I just received this, thank you Mr Postman

25d7_1.JPG

26da_1.JPG

It looks like it was made yesterday, an absolute dream of a suit. I'm in love. And even better, the whole price including shipping was about £30.

Shearer

Practically Family
I just got this for $10... it's the second time I've seen it go up for auction, so I'm kinda surprised no one else even bid on it. The fabric is actually quite green up close.

DSCF0508.jpg

ladyk, the buttons on your suit are fabbo!

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Well I wasnt sure whether to post this in here or the sewing thread but I paid a trip to my (too) local fabric store today and for £15 I came away with this little lot

fabric1.jpg

However I fell in love on the way out and 3 metres of this followed me home

fabric2-1.jpg

you could have warned me this could get addictive y'know lol

Btw ladies theres some gorgeous things been posted here, I shall be checking back for inspirational purposes :)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Daisy

Oh my dear! I eyeballed that dress and thought it would be perfect for me but I was crushed when it wasn't my size (sadly by only one inch). :(

But wow I'm glad it went to a good home. Lord knows I wouldn't have paid that much for it!

Kimberly

As far as steamers go, I have a great one I bought at one of those mall kiosks.

Here's the site:
http://www.supersteamoriginal.com/

It works quite well however the cord falls out sometimes if salt deposits build up.

Daisy Buchanan

Thank You Pink!:) I have a feeling I'll be wearing my tightest fitting corselette to get into it. The waist should just fit, but I like to have a little wiggle room. I won't be eating much of anything while wearing it!

LadyK That suit is amazing, just lovely, and Shearer your dress is as well. Amber that fabric is incredible, and that last one is gorgeous. I see a Cheongsam dress in your future!

I just got this. The auction was ending in a few hours, but the BIN price wasn't that much higher than the starting bid. I started getting worried that someone would bid on it, the BIN would go away, and by the end of the auction I'd end up paying more than the BIN price. So, I chickened out and bought it. Now I just need an occasion to wear it!
Cimg1311.jpg
Cimg1341.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I didn't buy this. I'd like to:

21089905_l.jpg

(I'd also like to have an occasion to wear it to but hey.) Anyway, sorry for the fuzzy but I had to snap a pic of the ad since I couldn't find a pic online.

Zum Zum makes this dress. It's a prom style so maybe it's not out yet. Can you see the price tag? $199! But doesn't it just scream Hollywood Starlet?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
One more for the $10 Club.

$7.99 (and no one else even bid on it)!
mas22.jpg

Close up of skirt bottom:
mas24.jpg

And this one (just a few dollars outside the $10 Club):
redblackdress.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members