Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
!BnNBTnQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmFs2+BLioM0vqKw~~_35.JPG

il_430xN.128747294.jpg

I think this is from the 50's but I don't know much about jewelry.
il_430xN.103020095.jpg

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
goldwyn girl said:
Is that a pattern or ways to tie a sarong? Looks wonderful !!!
On further investigation I see it is a pattern............
It is indeed. i can't wait to try it out. But I have two sewing projects I have to finish before I can even touch this.

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Hi ladies, some gorgeous purchases here i'm coveting lots of your gorgeous items!!

I bought this bag from a charity shop yesterday for £2.45! im not too good at dating items yet but i think it has a real kelly bag feel and is my new fave bag! any help with the age or brand would be awesome :D

25539_375836972474_674987474_3830576_3279338_n.jpg

25539_375836987474_674987474_3830577_3167929_n.jpg

links fixed!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
PrettyPaula,

I can find other Weymouth American bags for sale that are described as being 50's or 60's. I cannot find one darn tootin thing about the manufacturer. Maybe my Google search skills are just off today, lol. I did see the same style bag as yours, but in brown, for sale at 14 pounds so you definitely scored a deal!

Maybe someone here knows more about that mfg and can date it for you.

PrettyPaula

New in Town
23SkidooWithYou said:
PrettyPaula,

I can find other Weymouth American bags for sale that are described as being 50's or 60's. I cannot find one darn tootin thing about the manufacturer. Maybe my Google search skills are just off today, lol. I did see the same style bag as yours, but in brown, for sale at 14 pounds so you definitely scored a deal!

Maybe someone here knows more about that mfg and can date it for you.

thankyou so much! :D

D

Deleted member 12480

Paula

I love it when you find stuff like that in charity shops!

I think there is less 'good' stuff over here than the 'thrift' stores of the US?

it seems like all the gals from the US have some pretty amazing stuff where as the ladies from the Uk only seem to find something breathtaking now and then?

Foofoogal

Banned
Annie. It really is a matter of so much more space here in the USA.
The total area making up the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) is 244,820 sq km (94,526 sq mi), which is slightly smaller than the USA state of Oregon.
------------------------
Here is Oregon.
http://www.great-oregon-vacations.com/images/state-of-oregon.gif
------
Here is the USA.
http://www.united-states-map.com/usa-map.gif
:)

see Oregon on the top left of the map?
Supply and demand.

The United Kingdom is 94,214 square miles and Texas is 267,338 square miles.
1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers

SayCici

Practically Family
Annie, the US may be bigger but we don't all have luck! I've never found anything good at a thrift store. Just like the UK it depends where you live and whether or not there's a vintage seller buying up everything before you find it.

PrettyPaula

New in Town
I have to agree really, i know if i go to Charity stores in the city they will either have a seperate vintage section where everything is marked up or i wont find a single vintage item as its all been bought by vintage stores and ebay sellers.

I tend to go charity stores in little villages, out of the way towns and mining areas...

you tend to find much better stuff at better prices. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Depends what you mean by Vintage. Plenty of Retro (60s/70s) about but you have to really dig for anything earlier, which is what I would call Vintage.

I find with the big charities, alot gets taken out as soon as it is donated and sold separately say at auction, so the charity makes more. Fair play, they are raising money for good causes and deserve to make the most they can from it.

The best charity shops tend to be the little independent ones, local hospices etc. They just put out everything so you're most likely to find more interesting things. Most of the bigger charities are just bland modern clothing, barely worth stepping through the door for me. [huh]

That said, I have managed to find lots of interesting things over the last ten years I've lived in England. Everything from books, housewares, accessories (mens and womens) through to a beautiful 1930s evening gown in pristine condition. You just have to look constantly. Don't expect to find a whole vintage wardrobe the first time you go or you'll be disappointed.

December

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis said:
The best charity shops tend to be the little independent ones, local hospices etc. They just put out everything so you're most likely to find more interesting things. Most of the bigger charities are just bland modern clothing, barely worth stepping through the door for me. [huh]

I completely agree with this! The best ones in my area are the little local charity shops. I find they're more likely to put out the old things that may be a little tatty or incomplete as they have a more limited supply. The bigger charities get so many donations, they can put out things that are near perfect. These tend to be the more modern things.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Spring means Summer isn't far behind...

Now that I've fallen for vintage, I can thumb my nose at popular swimwear fashions that just don't suit me. This year, I refuse to hide in the house, especially since my posterior will be covered! ;)

They've got boning, ruched sides and back metal zippers so I'm guessing 60's?

Muriel Swim and Sun
4448235931_8afcfb3910_m.jpg

Unlabeled Playsuit
4448237401_d80fc9019b_m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo