Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your radios!

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
1949 Airline that just tripped my circuit-breaker. Any idea how to fix one of these things? I am having a pain trying to find a radio shop locally.

00211.jpg
First rule is do not plug them in until serviced.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
FStephenMasek,

In the bay area there is an antique radio club that i found to work on my radio. Being in SoCal, you should be able to find a club member on the web, probably right around the corner form you. Matter of fact I just brought it to a friend of mine who fine tuning it right now and i a can't wait to hear it again!

Mike

FStephenMasek,

In the bay area there is an antique radio club that i found to work on my radio. Being in SoCal, you should be able to find a club member on the web, probably right around the corner form you. Matter of fact I just brought it to a friend of mine who fine tuning it right now and i a can't wait to hear it again!

Mike

Do tell. What is this radio club and how do I join? :D

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd show you all another recent addition to the collection. This is a 1936 Zenith 5-S-29 "tombstone" radio. It sat in a fellow collector friend's basement for many years. The finish is original, but needed a lot of TLC to get it looking like this. The chassis needed a new power transformer. It is an early version of "big black dial". My favorite thing about this set is the color disk placed behind the dial that creates a color code for the different bands. It also has a red "second hand" for percise tuning.
BTW, I would highly recommend becoming a member of this site if you are interested in the antique radio/TV hobby. It will connect you with any and all resources out there!
http://antiqueradios.com/
DSC00262.jpg

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
....and yet another!

Now here is a BIG tabletop! It's a circa 1936 Airline (Montgomery-Ward) model 62-228. It's got 8 tubes plus the magic-eye tube, a chrome chassis, 3 bands, two speed tuning, 2 function dials within the huge (nearly 9"!) airplane dial. It's about 22" long and 15" high and weighs in at over 40lbs. I've never had a tabletop radio this big! It sounds amazing with great tone and selectivity. It's a fairly rare one and I cannot find a whole lot of info about it.
DSC00298_zps29228430.jpg

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
....and another little set

Here's a small mantle radio from 1933. It's a DeWald "Dynette" model 41 (?) 4-tube "midget" set. I was told these sets were mainly used in cities where station reception strong. The set is only 10"x7"x5" and has very nice front panel veneering.
DSC00309_zpsc5164cb5.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In my ongoing quest to clean up my room and turn it into a sort of vintage timewarp, I'm currently hunting down a vintage-style radio.

Buying an original from the 30s and 40s is FAAAAAAR outside my budget. But I am hoping to purchase a vintage replica/reproduction radio.

I have my eyes on something like this:

Philco90Front.jpg

That's a 1930s Philco. But the repro. radio that I want to buy is almost identical to that. It's currently for sale online. I've contacted the seller and we've beaten out a few details. I'm just waiting for a reply from him, before we go any further with buying it and picking it up.

I already have a spot picked out for it in my room, on top of my filing-cabinet, next to my desk.

^^^^^^^^^^
Shangas, there is a seller on eBay (from NZ who ships to Aus) his prices are reasonable. I've purchased a console and mantle radio from him and am very happy with them. Have a look at what he has for sale.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/mellowto...LH_DefaultDomain_15&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

He definitely needs the Gulbransen. :p
I was thinking that you should be able to find a real vintage item for about the same price as a repro if you look diligently. You made it easier. :p

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
In my ongoing quest to clean up my room and turn it into a sort of vintage timewarp, I'm currently hunting down a vintage-style radio.

Buying an original from the 30s and 40s is FAAAAAAR outside my budget. But I am hoping to purchase a vintage replica/reproduction radio.

I have my eyes on something like this:

Philco90Front.jpg

That's a 1930s Philco. But the repro. radio that I want to buy is almost identical to that. It's currently for sale online. I've contacted the seller and we've beaten out a few details. I'm just waiting for a reply from him, before we go any further with buying it and picking it up.

I already have a spot picked out for it in my room, on top of my filing-cabinet, next to my desk.

Buy what pleases you, but a repro radio doesn't have a single quality of an antique one. The cabinets are very cheap wood and plastic creations - as are the shoddy "electronics". In this economy you can find very decent common originals for a fair price. Even electronically restored ones. When these sets are restored correctly with modern caps they are quite reliable. With these old sets you will get that "warm" tube sound and a beautifully veneered cabinet. With the repro - forget it. Now an iconic Philco 90 is a high-demand, high-dollar set, but you can get more typical, but nice working Philco cathedral for the $150-$200 range easy.

It can be said, without a doubt, that nothing beats the sound of a tube radio. The warm sound everybody always mentions cannot be replicated and there is nothing that sounds better, if you ask me.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
James, this is the group that I found. http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/ They have a museum right off of the freeway in Berkeley.

Mike

This is a great group. I have driven down to Berkeley from Reno several times to go to their swapmeets. Keep an eye on the "Calendar of Events" on their website. You can pick up some really nice radios at very good prices. I've picked up several radios there. They also have some nice restored sets in their gift shop--again, at very fair prices.

There's a nice treat in store for fans of American Graffiti when you visit the CHRS clubhouse as well. They are housed in the old KRE building. When you go inside, you might recognize the studio as the setting of the scene where Richard Dreyfuss meets Wolfman Jack. That is, if you can tear your eyes away from the phenomenal collection of old radios...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ