Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your radios!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are several old radio enthusiast web sites where you could find somebodyy. One I like is RadioAttic.com. Great stuff for sale, and some of the guys also do repairs.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a 42 Zenith console radio phonograph yesterday. Unlike my first console this is very good original condition.I think it looks like it is only ten or fifteen years old instead of seventy five years old. It still has all Zenith tubes.I will try to post some pics tomorrow. Of course it doesn't work but that's a minor problem.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Zenith console

Here are a couple of photos of my latest find a 42 Zenith radio/phono console. I prefer this type that looks like a regular radio console, instead of the square kind with two doors. The brown tiger is a Goodwill find that I got for 5.00. The darn thing was already in the trash bin but they still wanted five bucks. It's all for a good cause.

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
here are the pictures
Zconsole001.jpg

Zconsole002.jpg

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
I love all things '30's, but radios are my speciality. I've been collecting them since I was about 13. Here is a few favorites that I hope you'll enjoy seeing:
RCA811K001.jpg

lamps001.jpg

newrca001.jpg

radioTVcollection002.jpg

Silvertone001.jpg

sentinelradio001.jpg

swr1361a001.jpg

newradios2012001.jpg

radiosfeb12004.jpg

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Many of 50's radios are nice, but most of 30's are masterpiece and this is that case. Really stunning collection you have!

Thank you. It's a collection that was 30+ years in the making. I have 32 sets currently.
The 1930's was the "Golden Age of Radio" not only for the broadcasting, but for the sets themselves. In my opinion, they are art-deco sculptures first, and radio sets second!

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
FStephenMasek: Those are some NICE radios, especially the Crosley grandfather clock. But the one I LUST for is the little Jewel PinUP. How sweet it that! Would look PERFECT in my kitchen.
Thanks! My Jewel Pinup is painted red, as the off-white case had damage on the top from a power resistor which burned.

CSG

Familiar Face
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43341060@N04/8156500811/in/photostream/lightbox/

For some reason, this site won't allow me to post an image within the post.

Anyway, this is a 1936-7 Zenith 6-S-128 tombstone radio. Fully restored with an input to play old radio through my computer.

BTW, if you click on the right arrow above the photo there are two more pictures of the Zenith. Since these photos were taken there's now a small Tiffany Wisteria lamp on top which helps with the illusion when I listen to old radio programs.

Last edited:

CSG

Familiar Face
No, it was restored by a local fellow who has a small electronics repair business. This one was in his personal collection at home and he brought it into the shop for me to look at. He's got, probably, 20 working wood radios and a number of bakelite too. We live in a small town and the guy is just into it and charges very little for his merchandise. This radio cost me $250 and looks almost new, including the inside of the cabinet and chassis. The guy won't ship so he doesn't do ebay or the radio sales sites and understands that our market here for old stuff like this is tiny. He does much more business with modern stereo gear, xboxes, etc. He has a thriving fix-it business with people bringing in radios, TV's, microwaves, etc. But he also has a virtual museum of old electronics and it's all for sale. I plan to add at least a couple more smaller radios and, hopefully, a console if he gets one in.

CSG

Familiar Face
8156500811_99f13b42ae_z.jpg

1936 Zenith 6-S-128 - fully restored.

Thanks to a mod, I have learned what I was doing wrong in posting a photo within a post.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Oh my, that is a beauty. So lovely.

This is my 1939 Philco model 40-130. Unfortunately, my camera is not the best, being only my phone. Oddly, those two blemishes you can see in this photo are not visible to the naked eye unless you really scrutinize. But the lighting here must have been just right to show them.

IMG_20121124_135252.jpg

I love this radio. I need to learn more about it, and will be doing some online research.

fashion frank

One Too Many
8156500811_99f13b42ae_z.jpg

1936 Zenith 6-S-128 - fully restored.

Thanks to a mod, I have learned what I was doing wrong in posting a photo within a post.

Wow that thing is freaking awesome , just the look of the wood never mind that it's a radio.

I happen to like radio ,having a F.C C. "ticket " and being a Ham Radio Operator ( Call sign is WR1R ) I can appreciate what that radio could do back in the day .

I have " talked " to tons of people ( morse code and voice ) and what gets lost on alot of people was that set's like your's could receive on tons of frequence's ,and had both short and long wave.

What that means is that you could listen to all sorts of programs and " stuff " from all over the world , just string out a long wire attach it to your set , and their you were!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

CSG

Familiar Face
When I first came to Idaho in 1994 we couldn't get cable and satellite TV wasn't yet available. Local TV went off the air very early. That left me with my GE Super Radio and Grundig Yacht Boy 400 short wave. I learned about DXing and got a shortwave book and long antenna. I spent many fun evenings picking up radio stations from all over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21