Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
A colorful springtime tie by Arco Royal. I'm not for sure on the fabric...most likely rayon.

arcoroyal100.jpg
[/IMG]

Arco made some interesting ties...

I'd never do that. A ways back a local community theater asked if they could borrow some for a play set in the 1940s. I did donate several, but ones not in the greatest condition (holes and stains).

Somebody had posted ages ago how they loaned some vintage clothing to a group doing theater with disasterous results. The costumer made seemstress type changes to the clothes that were irreversibly damaging. The problem with loaning stuff to people is they often have no understanding of a sense of value for what is loaned. It's like wow that looks cool let me borrow it. Then when it comes back damaged the borrow can't understand what the bother is since it's "just old clothes!"

These days I don't lend CD's, Records, Books, DVD's and a lot of other stuff because I have been burned previously. Many people don't replace what they have damaged or lost.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Had a couple Ebay bucks, so I had to snag this Como art deco tie. Just recieved it today. It may be hard to tell from the picture, but it's Navy, black, olive, silver, and grey. All silk and made in the USA.:usa2:

002-1.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From today...

For unofficial necktie Friday:

Photo82-3.jpg

Photo83-6.jpg

A beautiful Hollyvogue(!) De Luxe butterfly tie (made in CA, of course), c.mid-'50s, purple background with stenciled butterflies and leaves, decorated with glitter and what might be coralite (ground glass beads). Originally sold by Ray's Togs of Lynwood, a once-middle class area of L.A. which is now pretty much run-down...

For unofficial necktie Friday:

Photo82-3.jpg

Photo83-6.jpg

A beautiful Hollyvogue(!) De Luxe butterfly tie (made in CA, of course), c.mid-'50s, purple background with stenciled butterflies and leaves, decorated with glitter and what might be coralite (ground glass beads). Originally sold by Ray's Togs of Lynwood, a once-middle class area of L.A. which is now pretty much run-down...

Nice!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, now that we can no longer post how thankful we are that Bin-Laden is out of the way...Let's get back to ties...

I just picked up what is one of the most avant-garde examples I've seen from the first half of the 1960s:

Photo84-2.jpg

Photo85-3.jpg

Photo86-1.jpg

First of all, it's not a Rooster necktie, which is what I thought at first glance, but a square-bottomed Wembley! The motifs obviously have to do with fishing, what with the fisherman in action, a fish, and a couple of lures. However, for the life of me, the drawing at the bottom of the last photo surely seems like some type of flying scarecrow out of a Tim Burton movie. Very odd and delightful, feels like cotton. The inside tag says to wear with a brown or tan suit, and I'm placing this neat specimen at around 1965, just as Pop Art was making inroads in the fashion world. Thoughts?

Addendum: Now I'm wondering why there are shells included in the design, since the fellow fishing seems to be doing so in fresh water.[huh]

Last edited:
Well, now that we can no longer post how thankful we are that Bin-Laden is out of the way...Let's get back to ties...

I just picked up what is one of the most avant-garde examples I've seen from the first half of the 1960s:

Photo84-2.jpg

Photo85-3.jpg

Photo86-1.jpg

First of all, it's not a Rooster necktie, which is what I thought at first glance, but a square-bottomed Wembley! The motifs obviously have to do with fishing, what with the fisherman in action, a fish, and a couple of lures. However, for the life of me, the drawing at the bottom of the last photo surely seems like some type of flying scarecrow out of a Tim Burton movie. Very odd and delightful, feels like cotton. The inside tag says to wear with a brown or tan suit, and I'm placing this neat specimen at around 1965, just as Pop Art was making inroads in the fashion world. Thoughts?

Addendum: Now I'm wondering why there are shells included in the design, since the fellow fishing seems to be doing so in fresh water.[huh]

You are probably right about the date of the tie. The Wembley research that I have been doing gives me the date of 1959 in ads that actually start mentioning the what to wear with tag. You really need to get the book Ties that Blind. There are about 30 pages of ties that I could do without seeing but they even have that car tie that you posted a while back. I don't remember if yours had a tag but theirs mentions the name a date. :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
You are probably right about the date of the tie. The Wembley research that I have been doing gives me the date of 1959 in ads that actually start mentioning the what to wear with tag. You really need to get the book Ties that Blind. There are about 30 pages of ties that I could do without seeing but they even have that car tie that you posted a while back. I don't remember if yours had a tag but theirs mentions the name a date. :D

I've got the book. It has one of my car ties in it? What page?

I hesitate to post this but I'll leave it up to your imagination. My latest acquisition and the first one of this type that I have ever seen:
View attachment 161
pencil.png

Yeah...Mine simply has the owner's name...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart