Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Supported the local Humane Society the other day by visiting their thrift store. Came away with these three. The two on the outside are acetate ties and the paisley one is 51" long by 2 1/2" wide. The other one is a more modern 58" x 3 1/2". The middle one, that I like best is a silk tie from an exclusive mens store, The Madison Shop, that operated in Huntsville many moons ago. It carries the stores label and is 56 1/2" x 3". No brand on any of the ties and no keepers or evidence of them.
CIMG0370.JPG CIMG0368.JPG

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Bob Hufford - that's a fun tie! You'll always have the smell of bacon under your nose!

Bamaboots - nice haul. And I'll echo dh66's sentiments that it's always nice to have a bit of local history attached to your tie.

Here's one to interest you Americans - an Arrow tie. I don't really know the age specifically, so someone could help me with that :)

Good condition apart from that hole on the small blade, but you can't really notice it when it's tied. I don't know if you can tell from the scan, but as well as the fabric's printed pattern, there's like a shiny pattern over the top too, presumably woven into it. I've seen it on modern ties but never really old ones.

Eddie -- nice Arrow! So bold!

I looked at the dozen or so ties I have from that era and about half of them have a woven pattern in addition to the print. My poor photography is not bringing that out very well I'm afraid.

On a side note: I was inspired by Dale's tie display and discovered this hand-forged towel rack buried in my parent's garage. I cleaned it up and waxed it (in hopes that it won't transfer any rust to the ties) and mounted it next to my bedroom closet door. I will have to remount it with stronger drywall anchors as it is sagging off level with the ties on it. I should paint that wall as well ... :roll eyes:

19947130143_aa0dff6a2f_z.jpg

20574514021_de467aca70_z.jpg

19945425594_f297ed8a7e_z.jpg

20381325639_d9ebcdf962_z.jpg

20380028470_e091d2e259_z.jpg

Sweet collection, Bob! That rack is way cooler than my walmart curtain rod. In the next to last picture the woven-in pattern is pretty clear to see on several of them. A lot of mine from that era have some sort of "ghost" design as well. On a few it even overpowers the printed on design.

Edit...went back and found this one I'd posted a while back as an example. It has a cool bird print that is almost totally swallowed up by the background pattern.
44cdecb59549869e8a789b5750515b1a.jpg

I love the Route 66 sign too, Bob.

Last edited:
That's a good one QB! And good for you for sticking to your principals. Sometimes I start trawling the bay for cheap bargains if I haven't had any luck in a while, but in general it is way too expensive and the ease with which things can be had sorta takes the fun out of it.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments on the Arrow Tie gents.

BobHufford - great tie rack. A really nice way of displaying them.

Dh66 - that purple bird tie is nice. Somehow the 'ghost' pattern and printed pattern don't seem to match though! Like you say, it overpowers a bit! Great example though.

Quigley Brown - lovely tie. Is it hand-painted?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
With no specific lengths, widths, and further away and back views of the ties, I don't quite know what I'm getting. What I do know is that they are advertised to be new old stock, narrow, solid ties that are vintage, most likely not all that old. They're made of 90% polyester and 10% silk, but I like what I see on the picture. I am also into solid ties.

687007009_o.jpg

I may update you on the lengths, widths, and tags after I get them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana