Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Sigh*

Marc Chevalier said:
So, what music were you listening to in the '70s? Besides fado? ;)

No Fado! I can't stand it. Life is tough enough without the depressing music. I can't understand how people listen to The Cure either though. [huh]
I listened to oldies music back then. Mostly 50s stuff. Much better than long-haired, dope-smoking, maggot-infested FM types. :eek: No thanks.
What were you listening to Knights in White Satin. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
So, what music were you listening to in the '70s?

(for what few vague memories I have of what adults in my neighborhood were playing: )

P-FUNK! lol & Kool in the Gang, Earth Wind & Fire...

13549.jpg

Then on a visit to the grandparents, got my first swing record when I was 5 that planted the seed, a reissue of:

B000FVRRGE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64076079_.jpg

That closed out the 70s for me...

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I went to a prep school, and we had a strict dress code. "Shirts must have collars". We'd cut a collar off of an old shirt and sew it (crudely) onto a black t-shirt. That was about as rebellious as we got. Oh, and we'd "restore" our ratty old 'Weejuns penny loafers with silver duct tape.

Punk mayhem was for after school.

Marc Chevalier said:
I went to a prep school, and we had a strict dress code. "Shirts must have collars". We'd cut a collar off of an old shirt and sew it (crudely) onto a black t-shirt. That was about as rebellious as we got. Oh, and we'd "restore" our ratty old 'Weejuns penny loafers with silver duct tape.

Punk mayhem was for after school.

Oh geez, see this is why parochial schools continue to flourish in this country. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: Kids who can't decide which side to part their hair on in the morning need help with dressing choices. :p

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My school was a Episcopalian military/prep school in Southern California that had dropped the military part a few years before I arrived. Nonetheless, we still endured (and, for a time, perpetuated) the military-style hazing and all that rot.

A favorite was called "scrubbing": if a 7th grader did not move aside and bow his head when an upperclassman passed, then a group of upperclassmen would grab the offending boy, carry/drag him to the bathroom, and "scrub" a toilet bowl with his head.

I learned to avoid upperclassmen very quickly.

Marc Chevalier said:
My school was a Episcopalian military/prep school in Southern California that had dropped the military part a few years before I arrived. Nonetheless, we still endured (and, for a time, perpetuated) the military-style hazing and all that rot.

A favorite was called "scrubbing": if a 7th grader did not move aside and bow his head when an upperclassman passed, then a group of upperclassmen would grab the offending boy, carry/drag him to the bathroom, and "scrub" a toilet bowl with his head.

I learned to avoid upperclassmen very quickly.

Gee, how many times did it take before you started avoiding them? lol

Regards,

J

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Er, ok if you like it thats all that matters. :whistling

Hey, I never claimed that's all that matters! I just stated the objective and unbiased fact that they made good music. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR