Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing Magnoli "Open Road" Question

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I've been thinking of Magnoli's Open Road and I've communicated with him about it. I'm a little concerned about sizing since his web site says to use a similar jacket. Well, I don't have a similar jacket to use and I want a custom jacket due to my short arms. I'm a size 40 with 23" sleeves on my suit jackets.

Has anyone used a different type of jacket like a suit jacket for measuring with a Magnoli, or have any other type of experience? Should an Open Road fit through the shoulders and chest like a good suit jacket?

Thanks.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You are safest working measurement issues out directly with Magnoli Clothiers. He's a good guy, and will do all he can to make sure you get a good fit.

Longshanks

New in Town
kaosharper1 said:
his web site says to use a similar jacket. Well, I don't have a similar jacket to use and I want a custom jacket

I bought the open road because I wanted a custom jacket sizing. I took measurements from three jackets I've had for a while that I really like the fit: an Italian leather funnel-neck zip jacket in size 56 (euro), an LL Bean jean jacket in large tall and a poly/cotton Air Force jacket in 44L. I then averaged the measurements (they were all within an inch or two). The point is that the style of the jackets was pretty close to the Open Road style. A suit jacket is supposed to look and wear differently, so I'm not sure it would work.

However, I do endorse the idea of talking with Indy--he's very communicative and helpful.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Longshanks:

Thanks for the comments.

I saw the thread with your Open Road. It looks great. How heavy is the goatskin? I want something for this Southern California climate so I'm thinking of a thin goatskin or lamb.

Longshanks

New in Town
Stay away from lamb...

Kaosharper1
My two cents is that lamb works best for a tailored suit-like garment, and that ultra-soft buttery surface that is so prized seems to be very fragile.
The goat leather Magnoli used is certainly heavier than the average lamb, heavier than some leathers, but is not of the thick or bulletproof variety. I just rolled up the jacket and put it on my kitchen scale and with its cotton drill lining it comes in at 3 lbs 6 oz (assuming the scale is working correctly).
The irony is that the jacket arrived in July with the summer weather and in New York it has been too hot to wear any kind of a cool-weather jacket since then.
But I got the goat because I keep reading that it's good in warmer weather, and it's good in rainier weather. I think if you live in SoCal it's going to be the one winter jacket you'll ever need. Here in New York I don't think it would work well in the coldest weather. Then again...I don't know...check back in May and I'll know a lot more!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Too late! I already ordered it in lamb, but I intend to use this jacket as a blazer alternative so I think it'll be OK. Magnoli is even lining it in satin so its even lighter than usual. "Lightness," btw, for me means how it will do in what amounts to fall weather out here. I've just moved from the northeast so I have a heavier bomber jacket in case it gets cold. This was for the milder weather so I think it'll work out.

Thanks for the help!

portolan

A-List Customer
Magnoli Jacket in Lamb....

Do you have your jacket yet? If so, please give us the details? I am also looking for a lightweight leather jacket. I travel between SoCal and Florida all the time. Want a nice leather jacket for traveling, but nothing heavy at all. Please let us know your impressions of your jacket.

thanks...

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Yes! It came on Friday, and it is a very fine piece of work. I wanted a light casual jacket that I could wear here in Pasadena where it was 88 degrees today. Everything I have is geared to New England so when it finally does cool down here, my stuff will be too heavy.

The jacket is in dark brown lamb. It has a nice hand and feels like butter. I had it lined in satin rather than cotton to make it even lighter. It is. It's about like a blazer, which is what I was looking for.

The workmanship is very good. It fits me perfectly. My problem is my short arms. A leather jacket is one thing I can't just take to the tailor and have them shorten for me, and they never come in short sizes. Probably not an Aero but I only paid $360 delivered. With Cole Hahn and Territory ahead charging charging $450+ for off-the-rack its quite a bargain. I'm sure I could have had more customized stuff if I wanted.

It came in 16 days from the day I made my Paypal payment. You can't beat that. Indy Magnoli was very responsive to all my questions and let me know as soon as it was on its way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart