Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Care tips/remedies

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Foods that help

Acne
What to eat
Bright red and orange fruits and vegetables have beta-carotene, which you body converts to oil-reducing vitamin A. Green leafy vegetables contain vitamin B6, which minimizes swelling, so pimples are reduced.
What to avoid
Iodine-rich salt, shrimp and seaweed stimulate oil glands, inducing irritation of pores. And although pure chocolate won't cause acne, the sugar in desserts (along with dairy and refined flour) can.

Wrinkles
What to eat
Fruits rich in color (such as berries) have vitamin C to promote anti-aging, skin-firming collagen and antioxidants. Orange seafoods, like salmon and lobster, contain astaxanthin, an antioxidant stronger than vitamins C and E.
What to avoid
Balance sugar intake (which can harden collagen and lead to sagging) with cinnamon (1/8 tsp can lower the sugar in your blood for two weeks). Avoid taking too much iron; high doses can contribute to wrinkles.

Dry Skin
What to eat
Drink lots of water and eat foods with good fats (which keep cell walls strong and prevent water loss), like avocado and olive oil, as well as citrus and kiwi (the potasium they contain regulates the body's water levels). Cabbage has sulfur, which can prevent dry, irritated skin.
What to avoid
Drinks like coffee and black tea dehydrate your internal tissues and skin. Also, margarine and most fried foods contain trans fats and hydrogenated oils, which can deplete levels of good fats and lead to dry skin.

Rosacea
What to eat
A symptom of inflammation in the body, chronic rosacea can be managed by eating calming foods such as fish, cucumbers and licorice. Tumeric seasoning, which gives curried dishes their marigold hue, is high in curmin, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflamatory.
What to avoid
Hot foods (in tempertature and spiciness) alcohol and caffine make blood vessels swell so skin looks redder. Niacin-rich peanuts can also increase flushing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Quick fixes for a tired face

Make skin dewy.
When your tired, this gives skin a brightness, like you're 15 again.

Inhale
A whiff of peppermint and eucalyptus promotes heightened awareness- it's like smelling salts.

Apply fresh color
Dab on more cream or blush later in the day. Soft pink gives you a natural radiance.

Cover Shadows
Stroke a pale highlighter pen over shadows and lines to replace fading concealer and give your face a rested glow.

Calm red eyes
Rhoto V. Ice dropdrops constrict blood vessels, so whites look clearer and brighter. they soothe eyes too.

Spritz your face
Use chilled toner or water. A fine mist on your face makes you feel refreshed.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
good tips!

for me, going over my face with some witch hazel on a cotton ball always makes me feel fresher and more awake when i get home from work! of course, i don't wear makeup every day so others' mileage may vary.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
First Wake up your Skin

De-Puff
Sleep deprivation and alcohol consumption both cause fluid retention, which leads to a puffy face in the morning. Reduce bloating by pressing a cold compress onto skin. A washcloth soaked in icy water constricts blood vessels so there's less fluid accumulation.
Even out blotchiness
After cleansing and moisturizing, use a sponge to smooth on tinted moisturizer or lightweight foundation. A sheer layer instantly brightens your face and brings clarity to skin. Avoid anything heavy and matte, which can look dull.
Rehydrate and recharge
Skip the lattes. When you're tired, a nervous-system stimulant like caffine can lead to headaches, anxiety and an inability to focus. Instead, drink cold water all day to rehydrate your body. Cool beverages are invigorating. If you're battling a hangover, try Gaceau Smart water, which contains electrolytes (minerals you lose when drinking alcohol).
Shrink eye bags
To relieve puffiness, place potatoe slices or cooled, brewed tea bags (which contain astringents that make skin taut) over eyes for 10 minutes. Experts also suggest patting on caffine-spiked gels before applying make-up. It cools and tightens the skin in the eye area.
look alive
Dragging your feet? Jump rope for three to five minutes. This stimulates the nervous system and awakens the mind and body.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Has any of you ladies tried slices of fresh cucumber to soothe tired eyes and reduce puffiness?

Thanks for all these tips, Mysterygal!

--Leslie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
RaasAlHayya said:
Has any of you ladies tried slices of fresh cucumber to soothe tired eyes and reduce puffiness?

Thanks for all these tips, Mysterygal!

--Leslie
Your Welcome!:D I have all these great advice articles around figured I should put them to good use!!!
Yes, I have tried the sliced cucumbers...I find they work even better when they're cooled.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
quick-fix

a quick-fix for red, inflammed spots and pimples - take a cotton swab and soak it in anti-redness eyedrops. hold the swab to the pimple for a minute or so. most of the time, it will dramatically reduce the redness!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
If You Have...

Puffy Eyes
What to eat
Diuretics, asparagus and parsley included, reduce bloating. Potassium-rich bananas and citrus fruits help maintain a good balance of fluids. Circulation boosters like cayenne pepper can aide in lymphatic drainage around the eyes.
What to avoid
Salt, which leaches water out of cells, is your biggest enemy. Avoid soy sauce and preserved foods (no cheese or deli meats). Yeast can cause puffiness. Shunt baked goods and alcohol.

Thin Hair
What to eat
Foods rich in biotin (dark greens and meat, for example) can help hair grow faster and stronger. Hair is made of protein, so foods such as beans and eggs are critical for healthy growth. Olive oil contains squalene, which helps hair hold on to moisture better.
What to avoid
If your mane is thinning, avoid supplements with high doses of vitamin A, which could exacerbate the condition. But do eat nuts like almonds; they contain zinc, which can soothe the scalp irrations that lead to thinning hair.

Brown Spots
What to eat
Sun exposure can cause freckles, so powerful antioxidants (in dark chocolate, pomegranates and broccoli) that fight sun damage are your best beauty bets. And studies have shown that green tea can protect against sunburn and also help prevent skin cancer.
What to avoid
Alcohol and processed foods weaken the immune system and therefore make skin more sensitive to sunlight. Watch out for beer in particular, because hops have been known to cause dark spots on skin.

Dull Skin
What to eat
Green and orange veggies increase vitamin A levels, making skin cells shed faster for a radiant, bright complexion. Soybeans and yams contain plant estrogens, which can add luster to your skin. Eating berries will make your pores look smaller.

Chickpea

Familiar Face
My skin has never been better

I have always had oily skin with outbreaks, huge pores and an uneven surface.
First I killed my skin with harsch antibacterials and anything else that promised to remove impurities and excess oils.

Then I got older and started to earn money. I could afford more expensive products, but they basically gave me the same result as Clearasil did...

So I started using AHA and salisylic acid (as in Clinique turn around). that made my skin more even, but as soon as I stopped using it it was back to scratch.

Then I changed to very mild products, products for sensitive skin. That helped on the outbreaks, but I had the same uneven surface and excess oils.

Two years ago I stopped using products with mineral oils, and that was the solution! I used Dermalogica, but after a while I swapped to Dr.Haushcka and Weleda. I just cannot believe the results..
It took a while. It seemed like my skin had to get rid of years and years of built up clogging. The outbreaks diminished, I still had excess oil, but not as much, and the surface of the skin felt much softer and somehow "thinner".

Now, after 2 years I no longer have oily skin. Mind, I´m 35 now, but skin doesnt change its character in such a short while (does it??). I use no mnieral oils. Not in make up either (Dermalogica or Bare Minerals for great coverage). If my skin dries a bit I use sesame oil or almond oil.
Actually, my skin is so even that I never have to use peeling anymore. ME! I had so uneven skin I could hardly use foundation in fear of looking like the devils grandma...

Just wanted to share and tell that "There is hope" (add soothing musiclol )

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Weleda products are fantastic! Dr. Hauschka is waaaaay out of my budget though.

Don't underestimate the ability of a few years to cause such drastic changes in your skin. My mother's skin has gotten drier over the years, starting when she was in her 40s.

The one advantage of having oily skin is that it tends to minimize the wrinkles you'll get later!

----

I have very dry and sensitive skin, with a slightly oily T-zone. My skin never looked better than when I was using DHC's Mild Soap and their Olive Virgin Oil moisturizer.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which Hauschka products do you use? And which Weleda? Share your regimen! :)

Also, there are threads on this topic already, this will probably be merged into one of them, FYI!!! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Which Hauschka products do you use? And which Weleda? Share your regimen! :)

I use Weleda Skin Food. It is VERY thick and rich, so I use it on my feet. If it's very cold and dry in the winter, I will occasionally use it on the dry areas of my face too. This product really is aptly named.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
German natural skincare products are the best. I always buy a small stash whenever I go to Germany as it's much cheaper there. Right now I'm using Logona Wildrose cleansing milk (although it's for dry and mature skin and I have oily/combination), it's 5-6 euros in Germany but costs about the double in Denmark.

Aorta

Familiar Face
The Lavera Wildrose eye-gel is also fantastic. It's the perfect moisturizer for the sensitive area around the eyes, plus it smells gorgeous and you can put on eye-make up right after you use it. I don't know, if it is avaible in the US (and probably, the name is a bit different). But I guess, it should be, because they have an international side: www.lavera.com .

Another recommendation is the Dr. Hauschka facial cleanser. It doesn't work with tensides like other cleansers, it works with almond clay and various herbal essences (but it is not a peeling). For you gals in the US, it's maybe cheaper to order the Hauschka products from a German online store... okay, the shipping rates are higher, but if you place a big order...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Aorta said:
The Lavera Wildrose eye-gel is also fantastic. It's the perfect moisturizer for the sensitive area around the eyes, plus it smells gorgeous and you can put on eye-make up right after you use it. I don't know, if it is avaible in the US (and probably, the name is a bit different). But I guess, it should be, because they have an international side: www.lavera.com .

Another recommendation is the Dr. Hauschka facial cleanser. It doesn't work with tensides like other cleansers, it works with almond clay and various herbal extracts (but it is not a peeling). For you gals in the US, it's maybe cheaper to order the Hauschka products from a German online store... okay, the shipping rates are higher, but if you place a big order...

There is a book I read on Hauschka's way of doing things...and it told me that a -valid- and cheaper substitute of almond butter can also be used as a cleaner.....

with inflused cider vinager as a toner...etc...

both are -way- cheaper then the products here...

Aorta

Familiar Face
I was talking about almond clay, not butter ;). There is no such thing like almond butter, only almond oil. But almond oil in combination with a good natural soap could also be great as a cleansing regimen :).

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Aorta said:
I was talking about almond clay, not butter ;). There is no such thing like almond butter, only almond oil. But almond oil in combination with a good natural soap could also be great as a cleansing regimen :).

Well, the book recommends it as a reasonable susbtitute for the Hauschka cleanser.....

And Almond butter does exist...much like peanut butter, but made of almonds. Its found in health food stores here. There are a lot of people allergic to peanuts, and so they make 'butters' of all sorts of other nuts.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Well, the book recommends it as a reasonable susbtitute for the Hauschka cleanser.....

And Almond butter does exist...much like peanut butter, but made of almonds. Its found in health food stores here. There are a lot of people allergic to peanuts, and so they make 'butters' of all sorts of other nuts.

You can use almond butter as a CLEANSER? I have some in my fridge right now!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You can use almond butter as a CLEANSER? I have some in my fridge right now!

The book: http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Bea...2152853?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179416300&sr=8-2

an excerpt with the 'home made' stuff in blue:

Based on products developed in the 1960s by Austrian chemist Rudolf Hauschka and aesthetician Elisabeth Sigmund, the Dr. Hauschka skin-care line has been used by Hollywood makeup artists to care for the complexions of such trendsetters as Cate Blanchette, Jennifer Aniston and Madonna. The line incorporates plant ingredients extracted by a method that Hauschka claimed retained their most vital life energies. West Kurz, now president of Dr. Hauschka Skin Care Inc., offers readers a month-long, 12-step regimen to restore health and beauty based on Hauschka's belief that restoring life energies provides optimum health. West Kurz shows readers how to structure their lives and choose healing strategies according to their own natural rhythms. Her plan consists of foods, herbs, essential oils, exercise, meditation and beauty products that readers can use to combat stress, environmental pollution and the effects of aging. She provides menus and recipes and describes proper skin-care methods and solutions for rosacea, acne and other conditions. West Kurz actively promotes the Dr. Hauschka line, but also includes instructions for simple at-home treatments using oatmeal, almond butter, apple cider vinegar, herbs and other inexpensive items. While her practical, creative suggestions are rejuvenating, readers will find most refreshing Hauschka's vision of respect and love, first for the self and then for others and the planet. (May)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I read the book courtesy of my local public library...

and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to go to a -back- to totally natural products method of skin care.

I did try it for a while and I liked what it did for skin....

but then *shuffles feet* I got lazy again and stopped bothering...

I have issues with routine self care stuff and keeping it going.....

D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy