Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Moisturizers

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've found a great skin mousturizer, Dove body glow....it sinks right into the skin and leaves it feeling silky soft. I find the winter time to be the hardest on skin...mine always seems to be on the dry side...what are some great finds and maybe other ideas for keeping away the winter dry skin?

Naama

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
A scrub with sugar and olive oil, it leaves you skily for days, I use it everywhere!:)

I wonder, will this make your skin oily if you don't have that dry skin?

Naama

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Naama said:
I wonder, will this make your skin oily if you don't have that dry skin?

Naama
That's what I was wondering too....I have heard of other women doing this same thing....does the olive oil absorb pretty fast into the skin?...One of the things I hate about moisturizers is a lot of them feel like a slimy layer almost on the skin!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Olive oil can be rather heavy and takes long to sink in. I personally think the smell reminds me too much of food to use it in a salt scrub, so I substitute it with a lighter, easily absorbed oil like apricot kernel oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil or whatever's in the cupboard!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
My skin has never qualified as dry, and I've never had a problem. I think that the water of a shower rinses away the exess, I don't ever end up with it on my clothes or towels after.

I just like it cause it's cheaper than regular bath oils and what not:D :D

Faye Valentine

Mysterygal, thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try!

I have VERY dry skin and I also have eczema which is very painful if I dont take care of my skin. I actually had a bad case of it when I got pregnant in '04. It was ALL over my body and even left some scars (boy was I a scratcher). It was really bad and made it hard to sleep at night. It never fully went away til maybe late '06. I tried EVERYTHING.

The moisturizer I used that I saw a HUGE change in was Virgin Coconut Oil. I started using it in the beginning of '06. At first, I was uncomfortable with it because it was oily but then my skin was really absorbing that stuff as I rubbed it in. Its really great but if you don't like the coconut smell then I wouldn't go for it. I'd drench my body in it, especially at night, and my boyfriend said he had to sleep on the floor a few times because the smell was too much for him. lol. but hey, i woke up with silky soft skin and it cured my eczema! I should've known this stuff would work. My grandmother used to make her own when i was a little girl.

I don't know where you could get it ready-made in the US or anywhere else other than the philippines for that matter. My family bought bottles upon bottles from the philippines for me (when they went there on vacation on course) because the change was so drastic. it was like a miracle oil (it was even on the news. it has all these medical advances or whatever. i've even seen kids take 2 tablespoons a day, by their parents, because it's really healthy for you). anywho, i think you can actually find this stuff on ebay or search google for some virgin coconut oil products.

haha. well, it's just a suggestion for anyone who has extremely dry skin. it worked for me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Aubrey Organics makes moisturizers that contain mainly "coconut fatty acid cream base."

DHC makes a line of moisturizers and cleansers out of olive oil. The catalog says they filter out pore-clogging residues.

I've tried samples of both of the above products and I like them. However, I'll probably stick to Oil of Olay and Neutrogena anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish cream because they work well and cost less.

Rosie

One Too Many
Olive oil is great to use, so are real cocoa butter and shea butters. Most lotions hae lots of nasty things that you would never want on your skin like petroleum, dyes and fragrances. I don't like those things much so I try to stay away from them.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I get dry skin on my face, especially around my nose. I used to use Aveeno Radiance Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 30, but I recently found something better. I picked up Elizabeth Arden moisturizer with SPF 15 at Marshall's for $10 (normally $34) and it's absolutely lovely! There's not too much in the bottle though, so hopefully it won't run out too quickly.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I just read recently that Walgreens Nature's Finest Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream, is suppose to be fantastic. It gets glowing reviews and it's only $5.99 ~however, the word is apparently out and some Walgreens are apparently out. I looked on the Walgreen website and they are currently out of stock also. I am hoping to find a jar this weekend to begin trying it. I too use the Neutrogena anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish cream ~ however, if I can find another product that works just as well, & for half the cost then it will be worth it.

If I succeed at finding the cream, I will let you know how it works out.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
MissHuff said:
My question is... regular olive oil... or extra-virgin? lol

I have extra virgin at home, but hey which everlol

For my general daily care I use oil of olay facial moisturizers, and when I remember Lubriderm lotion, the olive oil for a special occasion that I want to shine for or when I just need a treat:D

Adelle Rose

New in Town
mysterygal said:
I've found a great skin mousturizer, Dove body glow....it sinks right into the skin and leaves it feeling silky soft. I find the winter time to be the hardest on skin...mine always seems to be on the dry side...what are some great finds and maybe other ideas for keeping away the winter dry skin?

I've got that Dove stuff :) A little bit of that goes a long way.. Do you find it at all greasy?
In the winter, I use pure Cocoa Butter and mix it with aloe vera gel as a nightly moisturiser, but in the daytime I just use the Cocoa Butter because the aloe vera gel coats the skin and makes it shine abit :)

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I have been using the Nivea in the blue tin/glass jar for my heavy moisturization needs and it has been really swell. In fact, I only ever use my Nivea anymore because it has pretty much aced out all of my other moisturizers!

I would note however, that I have really dry skin. :rolleyes:

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I use Jergens skin-firming lotion for hands and arms, and it seems to work well. Here's my situation though, and any input would be greatly appreciated. I ALWAYS feel like my hands are horribly dry. Sometimes I expect to look down and see skin flaking off, that's how uncomfortable they feel. But when I rub them together, they're perfectly smooth. I wonder if this is just a psychological thing, or more behind it. [huh] [huh]

Nightshade

New in Town
jazzzbaby said:
I just read recently that Walgreens Nature's Finest Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream, is suppose to be fantastic. It gets glowing reviews and it's only $5.99 ~however, the word is apparently out and some Walgreens are apparently out. I looked on the Walgreen website and they are currently out of stock also. I am hoping to find a jar this weekend to begin trying it. I too use the Neutrogena anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish cream ~ however, if I can find another product that works just as well, & for half the cost then it will be worth it.

If I succeed at finding the cream, I will let you know how it works out.
Well, it's back in stock online at least. Let me know how it goes.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
I've noticed that with certain lotions, my hands will feel great for a while, then it seems like they become even drier than they were before. All of the scented body lotions (not the creams, though) from Bath & Body Works seem to do this to me.

For a good basic everyday type of moisturizer, I'm loving Johnson & Johnson's Shea and Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion! It's got a nice light scent and none of the greasiness of straight Cocoa or Shea Butter. I started using the matching baby wash too, with great results. No more rough winter skin!

Nightshade

New in Town
My biggest problem is my scalp. It's not dandruff. My head will scab up for no reason, and just get dry. Right now I use scalpacin every day, and that seems to do the trick, but I go through the $7 bottle really fast, any cheaper or longer term suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy