Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Moisturizers

Jenautica

Familiar Face
This might seem like too simple of an answer, but have you tried changing your shampoo? I generally use Redken's Allsoft everyday, and when I switched to Dove for a few days, my head itched like nobody's business!!! I thought I was gonna lose my mind. I ended up giving myself scabs from scratching.

Another thing you can do is pick up a bottle of Braid-X. I used to get my hair braided with extensions (ala Jane Child) and a few sprays of that stuff would calm the itching and irritation from the knots. It also has a lot of natural oils which might help sooth your scalp.

Edit - I don't think Braid-X is around anymore. You can find braid spray at walmart in the ethnic hair care section or at Sallys, for much cheaper than what you're paying for the scalpicin.

Rosie

One Too Many
Nightshade said:
My biggest problem is my scalp. It's not dandruff. My head will scab up for no reason, and just get dry. Right now I use scalpacin every day, and that seems to do the trick, but I go through the $7 bottle really fast, any cheaper or longer term suggestions?

Do you have curly hair naturally? If you do, it may be the shampoo, curly haired girls really shouldn't use shampoo on their head, use conditioner (yes, conditioner) as a shampoo instead. Another thing to do, and I'm not sure how you will feel about this, (usually when I tell people who aren't of color, they get kind of weirded out, since we have different hair textures) olive oil (yes olive oil) monoi oil, coconut oil and good old shea butter will keep your scalp from being too dry. A good remedy for those without such curly or nappy hair is warm water seeped with rosemary and very little coconut oil. Spritz this right onto your scalp for moisture and no itchies.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Skin Lotions

Rosie said:
Olive oil is great to use, so are real cocoa butter and shea butters. Most lotions hae lots of nasty things that you would never want on your skin like petroleum, dyes and fragrances. I don't like those things much so I try to stay away from them.

I agree. The lady we buy fresh farm eggs from and lotions and herbs is an amazing one-person "cottage industry" who works with nutritionists and health professionals. She says 'If it contains ingredients that you'd be afraid to ingest, it shouldn't go on your skin."

Coconut butter (oil or anything coconut) is also great for thyroid support. :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About Black hair

(*You should see some of the stuff I ingest, it would give you nightmares. ;) ) Shamboosie wrote an excellent book called Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems. I ordered it for my branch public library and when I read it I learned a lot and UN-learned a lot, too.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Shamboosie

BegintheBeguine said:
(*You should see some of the stuff I ingest, it would give you nightmares. ;) ) Shamboosie wrote an excellent book called Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems. I ordered it for my branch public library and when I read it I learned a lot and UN-learned a lot, too.

LOL. Yeah, I'm getting better about what I eat (and don't eat). I have found the "margain of error" narrows as we age :rolleyes:

I have straight black hair and have died, curled and otherwise tortured it for years before let it be and let it shine with the right shampoo and conditioner. Amazon.com didn't have a lot on the Shamboozie book. Would you recommend it for all hair types and as a good guide for skin, etc?

BegintheBeguine

I would recommend it to learn about Black hair, but I also found some good advice for my white-person's very coarse thick naturallly red going gray hair. He had specific problems and easy-to-follow regimens for each problem. I admit I don't remember anything about skincare or not. Perhaps your local library has it or can order it for you. An inter-library loan might be only a few dollars, to borrow the book.
I also recommend Monoi oil for hair and body. I got mine from Yves Rocher online.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Good to know...

BegintheBeguine said:
I would recommend it to learn about Black hair, but I also found some good advice for my white-person's very coarse thick naturallly red going gray hair....I also recommend Monoi oil for hair and body. I got mine from Yves Rocher online.

Good to know. Thanks!

GOK

One Too Many
I'm another fan of shea butter - try to get fairly traded stuff and make sure it's unrefined and food grade. It's truly wonderful stuff. Pure cocoa butter is also fantastic and of course, it has that delicious chocolate scent!

Nightshade, I get eczema on my scalp (think cradle cap in babies!). It really flares up when I am stressed and is really quite a miserable state of affairs to be in. Not only do I get thick crusts on my scalp (sorry if that's TMI) but clumps of my hair fall out and the general condition of my hair is quite poor too. I tried all kinds of things from the doctor - none worked. I also tried coconut oil - it merely succeeded in making my hair greasy (I've never had greasy hair). Recently I've been using T-Gel, which is made by Neutrogena and I have to say that it is brilliant. It pongs a bit (coal tar) but it really does work. If you use a good conditioner afterwards, it will take away the coal tar smell.

Some reviews here.

Neutrogena hand cream is fantastic too.

Here's a recipe for an anti itch serum I used to use when I had dreads -it's probably similar to Braid-X;

1 cup water
1 cup witch hazel
10 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops rosemary essential oil
20 drops tea tree oil

Mix all in a spray bottle. Shake well, and spray on scalp irritations as needed. Keep chilled for extra relief.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Most of my skin is very, very oily and the rest is so dry that it literally flakes off. I've tried Lush moisturisers for combination skin, it soaks right into the dry parts and sits atop the oily, so I used one for oily skin which was superb, but stung like fire on the dry bits. So I'm now on Imperialis (so far so good) and use Coalface to wash with as it isn't too drying.

GOK

One Too Many
Folly said:
Most of my skin is very, very oily and the rest is so dry that it literally flakes off. I've tried Lush moisturisers for combination skin, it soaks right into the dry parts and sits atop the oily, so I used one for oily skin which was superb, but stung like fire on the dry bits. So I'm now on Imperialis (so far so good) and use Coalface to wash with as it isn't too drying.

Have you tried Almond Kisses, Folly? It's very good. For combination skin, I've found I cannot beat Origins Perfect World. For washing, I use Aqua Marina everyday (occasionally, AOBS) - it's brilliant! I prefer it to Coalface, as I find that even that dries out my skin. My MIL bought me some Burt's Bees Orange Cleanser for Chrimbo (it has no bee products in it!) - it's wonderful! Absolutely no tightness after using at all. I may get some more when I've run out of AM.

Rosie

One Too Many
Mahinatakataka said:
I agree. The lady we buy fresh farm eggs from and lotions and herbs is an amazing one-person "cottage industry" who works with nutritionists and health professionals. She says 'If it contains ingredients that you'd be afraid to ingest, it shouldn't go on your skin."

Coconut butter (oil or anything coconut) is also great for thyroid support. :)

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap VERY TRUE! Most people don't realize this. If you won't eat something, it should not be on your skin. One of my HUGEST reasons for no longer perming or dyeing my hair. And THE reason that I don't use anything non natural on my skin. Things absorn DIRECTLY into your system. :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

For a nice scrub, try Trader Joe's! They have a tangerine sugar scrub that's about $4, and leaves a layer of oil behind that really softens. However, since I am acne-prone I don't use it on my chest or back, and certainly not face, because I don't want to increase the risk of breakouts.

As for moisturizers, normally I just use Jergen's. I have Benefit Bathina "Touch me then try to leave..." cream, which I like a lot, but is expensive and there isn't much in the container. I also have Bliss spa stuff that I got for Christmas, which smells great and seems to work, but again, expensive.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
When I was shaving in the shower last night I discovered the best shaving cream. My legs were so incredibly soft when I got out of the shower, it was almost scary!

I use Cholesterol deep-conditioning hair conditioner at least once a week (I have massive amounts of dry, damaged hair), and while I was deep-conditioning last night, I decided to use the extra on my hands as shaving cream. It works brilliantly. I take very hot showers too, and there wasn't a single dry spot in sight on my legs.

Folly

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Have you tried Almond Kisses, Folly? It's very good. For combination skin, I've found I cannot beat Origins Perfect World. For washing, I use Aqua Marina everyday (occasionally, AOBS) - it's brilliant! I prefer it to Coalface, as I find that even that dries out my skin. My MIL bought me some Burt's Bees Orange Cleanser for Chrimbo (it has no bee products in it!) - it's wonderful! Absolutely no tightness after using at all. I may get some more when I've run out of AM.

I haven't tried Almond Kisses - it's a little expensive for me! I have a sample of Aqua Marina but the woman who served me said it might be too much for the oily parts of my face.
The only place I go to is Lush because of the vegetarian products and no-animal-testing policy. Is Origins okay on those counts?

GOK

One Too Many
Yes, Origins is fine. My SIL first turned me onto it when she bought me a set of moisturisers....she spent absolutely ages looking for a UK company that fulfilled my criteria!

I have combination skin too and I have absolutely no problem with AM. One week a month, my T-zone is super greasy, whilst my cheeks flake - at this time, AM is the only thing I would even consider using!

Have you tried asking for a sample of Almond Kisses? The SAs should give you some.

PT - I've been using conditioner as a shaving lotion for years! I'd never go back to using trad. shaving gels or even shower gel. In fact, the only other thing I do sometimes use is MMU's Smooth Operator. I love MMU because a) it's not animal tested b) it is mostly all natural ingredients (heck, even Lush has to use some chems!) and c) you can customise the products to your own personal tastes. There are 669 scents to choose from, or you can create your own. I love the Blackberry Musk, Lace Garter and Persephone's Kiss...absolutely wonderful stuff. Nancy, the owner, is lovely and very helpful.

http://www.mmucosmetics.com

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Conditioner

I hear you Rosie. I'm slowly learning to be more careful about what I eat, use and where it comes from. I would love to find a natural hair care/organic salon in my area...

Trader Joes - love their stuff and their prices.

Pigeon Toe, could you tell me where you get the cholesterol conditioner? It sounds like it could maybe help a friend of mine who has dry, damaged hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart