Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sliced Suit

Jay

Practically Family
So today I found a VERY nice late 40s to early 50s black flecky suit, tunnel belt-loops, pleated patch pockets, hollywood waist and all that, but the only trouble is someone took a pair of scissors (!!!) and cut 2 inches into the back of the suit at the bottom and a 1/2 slice at the cuff.

I know reweaving is impossible, but is there anything a tailor may do to stitch it up, even if it shows somewhat? I have plenty of extra material from the pants cuffs if need be, but the big problem is the suit jacket has a one piece back, and the cut is just off the the side so it can't be taken in and hidden.

Think it's able to be saved somehow?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That would be a question for your local tailors. I'm sure there are some that could salvage it - but questions you're left with - are they near you or willing & able to handle the job if you ship the items to them, and can they do it at a price you're comfortable with.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
RE-weave it!

Actually I think re-weaving would not only be possible, but probably THE solution to the problem. Fixing Cuts is one of the things that they do.
some example's for you:

http://www.reweave.com/faq.htm

http://www.withoutatrace.com/reweaving.html

some before and after pics from the same company, of tears and cuts:

http://www.withoutatrace.com/garment_repair_featured.php?tog=6&q=View+This+Before+&+After+Story

and a link to a privious thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35317

Hope that info helps.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Here in Seattle, in my neighborhood, is one of the shops you find on the net. Old lady wiht big magnifying glass. They do amazing work. But the cost is not cheap at all. I think repairing cuts would run into the hundreds. Unless the suit was very rare and worth five hundrede bucks or so to you, not likely to happen.

I would suggest a swen patch on the back, or iron a patch on the inside and call it good.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Sliced- how?

For clarification, I think what you're telling us is, someone made an improvised vent in the back of the jacket, and then opened up the cuff as well (on the sleeve)?
Do you have pictures of this?
It really depends on how the cuts were made- namely, where are they in relation to seams? If they are really close to a seam it could be possible to adjust the seam and collect the cut. If not, possibly a dart could be made from this cut. Is the fabric a solid, or a patterned one?

Feraud

Bartender
Pictures will help.
If the fleck material is rough you may get away with a simple sew repair. If adequately done, no one will be the wiser.

Jay

Practically Family
Here's some photos. Click the thumbnails for big pics.

What I meant to say in my first post was that it looks like some kid got a hold of some scissors and went to work. The cuts are in weird places at awkward angles. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I'm thinking reet was right in just patching it up. I'm not wearing it for business or anything, I just want to be able to wear it without tearing the thing in half.

Mike K.

One Too Many
There's some stuff I have used before for repairs called 'Wonder Under.' It's a fusible webbing that you place under the cut, position the cut edges together closely, and iron. It forms a permanent repair that is machine washable or dry cleanable. If applied properly you won't even see the cut unless you look very closely.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike K. said:
If applied properly you won't even see the cut unless you look very closely.

And then you've got a great story to tell about how some hooligan wanted your hat, he whipped out a knife, a scuffle ensued and your suit caught a couple of swipes of the blade but they're not nearly as bad as the other guys kidneys or something like that..."But ya shuda seen da other guy..."

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
And then you've got a great story to tell about how some hooligan wanted your hat, he whipped out a knife, a scuffle ensued and your suit caught a couple of swipes of the blade but they're not nearly as bad as the other guys kidneys or something like that..."But ya shuda seen da other guy..."
lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Repairing cuts?

Honestly, I would recommend sewing the cuts back together- hopefully you or someone you know can do this- that way you can guide their work a bit better than dropping it off at the cleaners. I think they will go for speed, not quality.
[huh]
If you are going to handle this, pin the two sides of the cut together. Next, use a thread that matches the base color as best possible. Use a high stitch count- this will really lock the two sides together. Sew VERY close to the raw (cut) edge, making sure you don't miss and go "out of bounds." Try also to run a fairly straight or even line- following sharp turns and bends draws attention to the seam.
In short, you are making these cuts into darts. The less you pull, twist, or bend the fabric the less obvious the repairs will be.
Once you've done this, use the wonder under or fusible interfacing on the backside of the repair- this reinforces the sewing. Make sure you pressed the fabric flat after you sewed the dart but before you add the interfacing!
As always, take your time, line up the fabric, try to keep the fleck pattern even and in line- don't force the fabric to take on a shape, go with its natural drape.
You can always practice on some scrap material lying around beforehand....

Jay

Practically Family
Well fellas, it'll take some time to gather money and materials for this project, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy