Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smelly shoes!

SuffragetteCity

New in Town
So, this is my first time posting anything at all, so first of all, hi!

Second, I thought you ladies might have some ideas about this since I get the feeling a lot of you don't wear socks with your shoes, though you might wear stockings. My problem is that I often buy cheap-ish shoes that have cloth insoles and they inevitably smell. Like, noticeably from a standing position.

Any suggestions?

I've done baking soda overnight and that only sort of helps, Odor Eaters spray does basically nothing, and inserts end up smelling just as bad, the only advantage being I can throw them out (they also affect the fit of the shoe though).

I'd appreciate any help. I'm tired of throwing out cute shoes. :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have the same problem and for shoes, I use old socks my boyfriend has worn through at the heel, and cut them into little footsie things that just cover my toes and the bottom of my foot and heel slightly. You occasionally have to readjust them if they move about inside your shoes but it's not a huge problem.

For sandals and slingbacks I use very thin, cheap insoles that come in packs of 5 and throw them away when they need to be.

These are they - http://www.kiwifreshins.com/ - they are really thin so don't affect the fit at all and even if you replaced them once a week are way cheaper than new shoes!

Also, using a foot spray can help as your feet obviously don't sweat so much. Dr Scholls do one that is good. Or even plain old antiperspirant spray can help. Talcum powder on your feet every day also helps absorb sweat and prevent stinkiness.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
one of the most important thing is to let your shoes dry out, you sweat alot through your feet, and it takes at leat 24 hours for your shoes to dry out completely! so never wear the same shoes for 2 days running.

if the shoes are leather, you could give the insides a wash in the sink, or wash the insoles.:)

crwritt

One Too Many
If you soak your feet in epsom salts weekly, it will cut down on sweating and, hopefully, smelly shoes. If my shoes have removable insoles, I take them out and wash them once in awhile.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
You might try spraying the insides with Lysol in between wearing. Lysol will kill the germs that cause the odors.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My dance shoes get really bad (they're sandals and I don't wear socks with them). I rinse the insoles and let them dry in the sun, preferably on the clothesline. I keep them in a bag with lavendar scented salt crystals. It really helps.

HollyGolightly

New in Town
I have the same smelly problem with my Vans!

I've had to cut back on wearing them since they reek like none other….

It’s a complete bummer since I'm madly in love with them :(

I've even put them in my washing machine (that was interesting....)

I'm going to try some of these suggestions!

Thank you ladies. You've re-untied me with my beautiful blue/black checkered vans. <tears>

hehe ^_^

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Warning

Be careful about leaving your shoes outside. A coworker just told me about her ex-husband being bitten by a spider. She had put his shoes on the porch and when he put them on the next morning, he felt something bite him three times. He took the shoe off and there was a black widow hanging on his big toe. He did live through it, after missing nine days' work.

I knew there was a reason I hang my shoes on the clothesline.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think black widows hang out in dark, enclosed places. There's no guarantee a spider wouldn't get into shoes hung on a clothesline, I just think it's a lot less likely to happen than if the shoes were left on a porch. :)

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
yeah, leaving shoes outside works, but as you'd find out living in tx, you should at least shake out your shoes before you put them on. My mom told me about the time her brother had a scorpion in his shoe but luckily shook it out and wasn't stung

Foofoogal

Banned
I just had to throw away a perfectly good pair of my honeys tennis shoes because of this. Tried sun for days, washing in clorox in machine, baking soda and all. For some reason one came out nice and fresh but never could get the other one to not smell like mildew. I guess one foot was worse then the other. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo