Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So good to see proper beers being brewed in the US.

robrinay

One Too Many
Just tried a couple of US bottled beers Brooklyn Lager and Blue Moon, bought in my local Sainsbury's - wow! So much better than that pale insipid stuff I used to have to drink at parties when the good European beers had gone.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but craftbrewers have gone loopy for hops, and seems like most craft beers I drink have far too much hops, especially compared to European brews. I'm tired of it. Lay off the hops, you dolts!

Brad

Yeah, but craftbrewers have gone loopy for hops, and seems like most craft beers I drink have far too much hops, especially compared to European brews. I'm tired of it. Lay off the hops, you dolts!

Brad

I agree Brad
I tried several different kinds of brews that my Son In Law received over the Christmas holidays. The overly flowerly..wheaty..spicy stuff can be way too much. Just a hint will do,thank you...
HD

Mr.Astor

Banned
Those hoppy beers pile it on,be careful also have other side effects!! The Sierra Nevada Torpedo is killer one is enough!! A good old German or Austrian is still the best! To bad InBev killed Beck's!!!

robrinay

One Too Many
Is it true that Prohibition in the US killed off a wide variety of brews which had been based on recipes from the variety of cultures that settled there?

Is it true that Prohibition in the US killed off a wide variety of brews which had been based on recipes from the variety of cultures that settled there?

It's true prohibition killed off a lot of brewers, but I don't know how diverse the types were. The American brewing industry was started by and heavily dominated by German immigrants. Most beers were of that style. There's been a surge in beer styles in the last decade or so, but as others have mentioned, it seems to have devolved into a contest of who can make the most bitter beer. Personally, I don't find the "craft" beer movement to be a real advancement in quality.

Mr.Astor

Banned
His political stance moved me away! He should have never let politics get involved in his business!! Think Ben and jerry ruined that too!!

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Down in the Swamps, we have a local brewery in Abita Springs.....natural Artesian water there. The Abita Beer Brewing Company.

My very favorite is the PURPLE HAZE, which has a breath of raspberry in it.....sometimes even a little sediment in a "hazy beer." Doesn't travel well on Draft, the raspberry sediment would clog machines.

When I drink one, I occasionally hum...."Scuse me, while I kiss the sky!!" (I used to think that line was, "Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!)

Last edited:

GoetzManor

Familiar Face
Down in the Swamps, we have a local brewery in Abita Springs.....natural Artesian water there. The Abita Beer Brewing Company.

Maaaaaan, Purple Haze is one of my favorite beers, however, unless I go to ale houses (and I mean "legit ale houses", not the 'we have every different type of Anheiser product' ale house) it is impossible to find around these parts...

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Good beers is the U.S. never went away. The Anchor Brewery in San Francisco has been making this steam beer since 1896. Great stuff!

Anchor-Brewing-Historical.jpg

IMG_0673-570x855.jpg

robrinay

One Too Many
Agreed - it's a great beer I first tried it in the 1980's when I found a small supply in a Nottingham grocery store - it soon ran out with my help.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good beers is the U.S. never went away. The Anchor Brewery in San Francisco has been making this steam beer since 1896. Great stuff!

Anchor-Brewing-Historical.jpg

IMG_0673-570x855.jpg

A childhood friend recommended this beer.
He lives in Santa Ranchero(?) and said the beer is great.
While I'm a dark beer fan, I might pick this one up (as part of the make your own 6 pack at Kroger) and try it.
I'll review this thread again before the weekend, so I can have a list to pick from.

We have a few good breweries that are close to us here in the DC area. Great IPAs from these breweries!

Dogfish Head (Delaware)
http://www.dogfish.com/

I have to say, and I mean this with all due respect, Dogfish Head is the single worst, most crawl down your throat, swallow defiant piece of crap liquid I've ever put in my mouth. To put it gently.

emigran

Practically Family
my grandmother used to say... that's why people live in their own houses so they cn do (drink) what they want to do (drink)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21