Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I may have hit gold...

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I'm a big guy, size 46-48 jacket, and I always have been. If I can lose my gut, I'll be a solid 46, maybe smaller. I have a nice Sterlingwear Peacoat I picked up in the late 1990s, size 46, little snug in the mid section but nothing that can't be overcome. I've been searching for a pre-1980 Kersey Peacoat the last few months. Ebay sucks, frankly. But I may have finally hit something. Should be here on Monday... a WWII Peacoat. The measurements I was given (24" pit to pit) indicate that it might fit. Also, Peacoat's thread stickied at the top was bloody invaluable! Thanks again for that, I consulted it every-time something came up.
Everybody cross their fingers that the seller got the right measurements for me!

JanSolo

Practically Family
If it fits you won't be disappointed! A friend of mine recently acquired a WWWII peacoat from VT. It was in perfect condition. No moth bites, all buttons firm and strong, throat latch in place...it basically looked like it had just been made, except for the label which was beautifully faded.
Going by its age almost a museum piece but still ready ready for the harshest of weather...

This is something that really amazes me about peacoats, especially the ones made from kersey (which is very close in weave and appearance to brushed Loden)! If stored properly they hold up so much better than even the best leather jacket.
Make sure your wardrobe is moth free and use a really wide hanger only. Don't use the hanger loop!

I should be receiving an Aero Bronco A2 this weekend. It was a special-order made of Cape Skin. It's my size (in theory) and I'm dying to see it! Once it arrives, and if it fits, I'll shoot some pix. I'm really excited to possibly have this to hold me over until my Aero HBD is finished!
Congrat's on the Peacoat. Losing some weight will only make you happier. I'm down 32 lbs. this year, and I wasn't fat, just not in shape. Everything fits better!
Good luck, and post pix!

Peacoat

Bartender
Mr. Trotsky: Glad you found the information useful.

A 24" p2p is hard to find in WWII. It ought to fit you if your chest measures 46". If not, then might be a good idea to lose a few pounds (I know, easy to say, hard to do). But to be able to wear a WWII in that size, it would be worth it. As you know, the WWII peacoats fit just a little tighter than the subsequent years.

Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
It's a 46. Snug in the midsection but perfect everywhere else. Just means I need to lose some more weight. It's also in absolute excellent shape, both labels are present and in great shape, wool is perfect. I am so happy with this thing. I couldn't stop laughing as I tried it on and fit.

Peacoat

Bartender
Great! The post war models in large sizes are hard enough to find. It is almost impossible to find one from the WWII years.

Now you need to immediately start looking for a post war version (because you will never find another WWII model) so you can have a daily wearer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner