Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of James Spader's hats {The Blacklist}

On the one hand, it's not like the fedora overlords have issued a strict taxonomy of hats. On the other hand, I don't think many others here would put a brim that's shorter than 2 1/4" as "medium." That's a stingy brim my friend.

Well, I think you'd even get some push ack from Loungers on that. I view 2" and below as "stingy." Maybe 2 1/8."

Joao thinks anything under 4" is stingy. But yeah, he's on the outer edge of the bell curve. [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think you'd even get some push ack from Loungers on that. I view 2" and below as "stingy." Maybe 2 1/8."

Joao thinks anything under 4" is stingy. But yeah, he's on the outer edge of the bell curve. [emoji4]

I'm gonna pull the Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it." :cool::p

For the record, I'm at 2 1/4" and under being "stingy." But on my head, once the brim hits 2 3/8" the proportions just look different. Past 2 3/4" is wide brim territory. My markers for this are my Optimo Dillinger; my grey Playboy; and my Open Road.

I'm gonna pull the Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it." :cool::p

For the record, I'm at 2 1/4" and under being "stingy." But on my head, once the brim hits 2 3/8" the proportions just look different. Past 2 3/4" is wide brim territory. My markers for this are my Optimo Dillinger; my grey Playboy; and my Open Road.

2 1/4" is my minimum. 2 5/8" seems to be a sweet spot.

Not meaning to hurt anyone’s feelings (there are some thin-skinned folks), I’ll add this:

Most people who think they don’t look good in wider, i.e. 2.5+, brims have not usually given them a fair shake. Even those who are svelte look great with the larger brims: I’m thinking of @Rabbit who definitely knows his fedoras and is half (in a good way) the man I am. @jlee562 is also in that group.

No one here is saying that stingies, no matter how you define them, are bad. The hat your looking at isn’t only on the stingy side of brim sizes, the whole hat is sort of diminutive. It’s a look and if it’s what you’re after than go for it. We here tend to like classic proportions, but we’re a big tent community and there’s room for you. I would caution to be a bit less defensive and just disregard posts that you don’t like. I seldom practice my own advice but life is better when I do.

Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
Not meaning to hurt anyone’s feelings (there are some thin-skinned folks), I’ll add this:

Most people who think they don’t look good in wider, i.e. 2.5+, brims have not usually given them a fair shake. Even those who are svelte look great with the larger brims: I’m thinking of @Rabbit who definitely knows his fedoras and is half (in a good way) the man I am. @jlee562 is also in that group.

No one here is saying that stingies, no matter how you define them, are bad. The hat your looking at isn’t only on the stingy side of brim sizes, the whole hat is sort of diminutive. It’s a look and if it’s what you’re after than go for it. We here tend to like classic proportions, but we’re a big tent community and there’s room for you. I would caution to be a bit less defensive and just disregard posts that you don’t like. I seldom practice my own advice but life is better when I do.

Brent.

Thank you for your response yes it is for the look due to it is one Spader wares in an episode of the blacklist (why I’m here) and I already having a wider brim that I look good in just does not feel right to me maybe it’s just the quality or that I live in the UK so it just does not work with the weather but the pictures I’ve posted don’t do it justice so here is what it really looks like
aa264229f611d9c3d7ef4be8292e35a9.jpg

But as we have seen already in the forum that stingy and medium are all a matter of opinion
I apologise for being defensive but it gets on my nerves when someone is talking down to me like I am a child we are all equal no matter what the persons personal preference is and should help and nurture people personal styles

I would love to be part of the Community and hope we can turn things around into a welcoming group that helps each other instead of passing judgment on what a persons preference is or what they are looking for

There are some lovely helpful people like yourself and Johnny

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Point of order: one can agree or disagree with where I draw the line for stingy, fair enough.

But my saying that "just be aware that they don't really align with what's generally understood by hat folks," isn't "passing judgement" on anyone's personal preferences. That is just literally not what the words in that sentence mean.

I agree I find 2 1/4 to be my minimum otherwise to me it’s a trilby

5.5 cm = 2.165 in < 2 1/4" = 5.715 cm

enjoy the Trilby.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How are you finding it ?

I always enjoy Mr Spaders work, so i am enjoying it. Elizabeth gets annoying at times but I don’t find her to bad yet.
I know outside of Borsanio, John Penman is the way to go for exact replica custom work. Have you looked at NorthWest hats yet? I don’t have any of his work yet but the reviews are all positive and if you look at the Facebook page he has some close offerings to what Reddington wears.
Johnny

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
Point of order: one can agree or disagree with where I draw the line for stingy, fair enough.

But my saying that "just be aware that they don't really align with what's generally understood by hat folks," isn't "passing judgement" on anyone's personal preferences. That is just literally not what the words in that sentence mean.

5.5 cm = 2.165 in < 2 1/4" = 5.715 cm

enjoy the Trilby.

It is a 2 1/4 so not a trilby if you would go back and look at the picture of the website
Have a nice day

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
I always enjoy Mr Spaders work, so i am enjoying it. Elizabeth gets annoying at times but I don’t find her to bad yet.
I know outside of Borsanio, John Penman is the way to go for exact replica custom work. Have you looked at NorthWest hats yet? I don’t have any of his work yet but the reviews are all positive and if you look at the Facebook page he has some close offerings to what Reddington wears.
Johnny

Why do you find liz annoying ? Just curious
Northwest has some nice hats and well priced I will definitely be buying a beaver felt from them when I can justify it :p

Why do you find liz annoying ? Just curious
Northwest has some nice hats and well priced I will definitely be buying a beaver felt from them when I can justify it :p

She's the weakest part of the show. She makes nonsensical decisions, is too much of a Mary Sue, and her "action" sequences are horrible.

Plus, her head is bigger than Spader's!

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
She's the weakest part of the show. She makes nonsensical decisions, is too much of a Mary Sue, and her "action" sequences are horrible.

Plus, her head is bigger than Spader's!

What season are you on ?

AndyR

One of the Regulars
The writing last season was horrible. I watch it for Spader.

I watch it for Jellybean (Glen, the tracker). LOL! His character cracks me up. I actually thought there were some good plots last season and seriously, I agree regarding Spader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21