Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources for decent flannel cloth to make Oxford bags?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey folks, the lady who owns Vintage to Vogue here in Bath is trying to source a supply of both grey and cream flannel to start having 'Oxford bags' made from a vintage pattern she's had redrawn out to different sizes. She plans to sell the trousers for around £60 a pair. Has anyone any ideas of a shop/wholesaler that carries this type of cloth in bulk, or at least has a few rolls? Any ideas gratefully received!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
£60 a pair would be a real bargin!
No kidding, that's a lot of material there..........

173096_100001765527625_8077036_n.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I don't think £60 are realistic if she wants to use real quality flannel. Even if she uses Fox Bros. where she can buy directly from the mill and thus cut down a lot of cost. A metre would still be around £30-35 I'd guess (whereas a metre of Harrison's or JJ Minnis flannel would be around £60-70). Considering that you need about 1.75 to 2 metres of cloth that's already £60 and she didn't even start making the trousers. On the other hand, a cheap flannel looks just like that and doesn't hold up very well.

djd

Practically Family
Magnoli makes some nice vintage pattern flannels and his go for something over £100 depending on exchange rates

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, but I bet my hat that the flannel Magnoli uses is far inferior to Fox Bros. or JJ Minnis flannel, which are top of the line quality.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I don't think £60 are realistic if she wants to use real quality flannel. Even if she uses Fox Bros. where she can buy directly from the mill and thus cut down a lot of cost. A metre would still be around £30-35 I'd guess (whereas a metre of Harrison's or JJ Minnis flannel would be around £60-70). Considering that you need about 1.75 to 2 metres of cloth that's already £60 and she didn't even start making the trousers. On the other hand, a cheap flannel looks just like that and doesn't hold up very well.

Thats right. I can get cut lengths high quality flannel from Harrisons Burley or Dugdale bros. for around £40 per metre. Even with any discounts from buying in large quantities the price is unrealistic. In that price range the fabric quality can't be the best.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Hey folks, the lady who owns Vintage to Vogue here in Bath is trying to source a supply of both grey and cream flannel to start having 'Oxford bags' made from a vintage pattern she's had redrawn out to different sizes. She plans to sell the trousers for around £60 a pair. Has anyone any ideas of a shop/wholesaler that carries this type of cloth in bulk, or at least has a few rolls? Any ideas gratefully received!

That sounds fantastic! Please keep us updated, I'd love to order some for up here!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! The lady in question figured on the price point for flannels based upon scoring a supply of cloth at a level lower than y'all indicated so unless a deadstock/vintage supply of more affordable material can be found, she's said that it's not gonna be possible to produce trews of decent quality for £60 a pair... any ideas for other, more affordable, sources?

On a happier note, she's now considering making some workwear waistcoats, a la Rising Sun!

djd

Practically Family
I use ravistailor.com quite regularly. Pretty good and a vast range of fabrics. They'll have a good go at copying anything. I may see if they can make a single breasted peak lapel suit for me later this year :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I just checked with Andrew Rogers. He doesn't serve the public anymore, just existing customers. Even then 1 metre of JJ Minnis flannel would be £60. If you buy the same flannel at Huddersfield Fine Worsteds it's £84 per metre. I am afraid for £60-trousers the only option would be a cheap wool-mix flannel off Ebay. ):

Edward

Bartender
What about a drill cotton, or even some form of gaberdine? I've also handled a few poly-cotton mixes in my time that you'd be damn hard pushed to identify as not pure cotton. Flannel is unbeatable, but there's a lot to be said too for something that can be thrown in the washing machine...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner