Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
It is interesting that Americans with all their German blood are generally taller than many European races but feet size wise they tend to be narrower. Any self respecting Pom, Aussie, Kiwi or Yarpie has at least an E (USA) fitting in width aka UK "F" (Loakles, Churchs) or "E" (C&J etc) whereas your average Yank is a D which is a narow fitting to us antipodeans and Anglo-Celts.
Very interesting. Could you cite a book/article where you got that from? I like collecting strange factoids like that.

I also have issues with vintage shoes not fitting my swim-fin-shaped feet.

JOHN TITCOMBE

New in Town
This last January,I purchased a pair of Ramsey model Spectator shoes from Allen Edmonds Deadstock Shoe Department in Port Washington,Wisconsin,for $108!!! What a deal.Had been looking for a pair for quite a few years in desparation.So one day I just picked up the phone and talked with a Lady at the store there,explaining my plight.She put me on hold for a few moments,then came back on the line,saying that they had my size(10.5 EEE)in stock and the shoes could be mailed within the week.Imagine my joy.Beautiful Caramel-colored calfskin with a bone colored Linen vamp.Thanks,FLers,for the many Great ideas in searching for that right shoe.The quest is never over!

Bricktop

New in Town
This last January,I purchased a pair of Ramsey model Spectator shoes from Allen Edmonds Deadstock Shoe Department in Port Washington,Wisconsin,for $108!!! What a deal.Had been looking for a pair for quite a few years in desparation.So one day I just picked up the phone and talked with a Lady at the store there,explaining my plight.She put me on hold for a few moments,then came back on the line,saying that they had my size(10.5 EEE)in stock and the shoes could be mailed within the week.Imagine my joy.Beautiful Caramel-colored calfskin with a bone colored Linen vamp.Thanks,FLers,for the many Great ideas in searching for that right shoe.The quest is never over!
Almost the same story with the same model. I was buying a pair of AE Strands in walnut (gorgeous) and remarked that I was sorry the Ramsey was no more. The SA said he'd make a call to HQ and sure enough, I got the last 12D's out there, also for $108!!

Derek WC

Banned
I haven't seen anything like that from AE, Alden or the EU makers but I'm not that familiar with Stacy Adams. You might want inquire with them, including a photo. There are a several bespoke makers who could easily produce the look but they would be pricey. You could give FLounge member/vendor Magnoli a shout as he's been known to deal in one offs.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/

I was actually considering that, but the price!
Maybe shoes that fantastic are worth it.

Does anybody know of the quality of Magnoli's shoes? I am assuming they are quite well made, but testimony doesn't hurt eh?

Those do look pretty nice.

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
Missed out on snagging Santoni FAM goodyear welted double monks today so i'll have to wait another 4 months until they come in again.

Got these penny loafers by Church's:
Churchsspecloafer.jpg

l already like these loafers alot (they remind me of grandma shoos), and it's my first penny loafer i've ever bought. Fit is very good.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Nice loafers,Shooey!

But I hate those trees......................

Yeah the loafers are cool (navy & white). Not slick but they are sick in a stodgy old grandma type of way.

l will be looking into improving the shoo tree situation soon. l can source some nice ones in ltaly and get shoomakers prices for them. Having good shoo trees is so essential, it's always worth the high prices if your shoos are good. Trying online for trees is always a risk, but my shoo-tree situation is quite bleak so l have to try something.

Last edited:

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Habit, I suppose. I had (have?) a long-standing preference for military oxfords due to their all-business simplicity, but I guess I should start thinking outside the box.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Huh, good to know. I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding shoe care and preservation, but I haven't really forged a distinct style for myself yet. I've seen some great shoes on this thread, but my first thoughts are always "How difficult is it to get dirt out of all those perforations...and how do you shine them?"

I've been finding so many answers on this forum...even to questions I didn't even know I had yet. Thank you all for your advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I've been eying these leather and canvas brogues as ASOS for a while now and saw yesterday that not only were they back in stock, and in (what I hope is) my size, but also on sale. How could I not pull the trigger/click the button? I'm do hope they're a good fit. I think I would have preferred a dark khaki color over the green, but I can see some great possibilities with what they are.

Untitled-1-15.jpg

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Got some beautiful cream & brown co-respondents by Barker on sale at half price last week - an absolutely unplanned find, in my size - The only ones in the shop. Since I've been after a pair in these exact colours for over a year I still break out a huge cheesy smile whenever I look at them! :)

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
After two week, my new ASOS brogues finally came, and better yet, they fit! The width is quite comfortable, which has been an ongoing issue every time I try on a pair of nice wingtips. I figure with the canvas they'll be a good summer option. I think the tricky part will be polishing them without ruining the canvas. Any thoughts on the best way to go about it?

untitled.jpg

untitled-3.jpg
untitled-2-2.jpg

untitled-4.jpg

untitled-5.jpg

DSC00942-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran