Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spotting a fake leather sweat band

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
How do you spot a fake leather sweat band?

My "day to day" hat is a Stetson Hutchins that I got for not too much money. The other day I turned over the sweat band to reglue part of the liner and noticed that the sweat band had some strange "cross-hatching" on the inside, like it was rolled over with some kind of tool, or because it's not real leather or something.

The sweat band looks real on the outside, but is kind of thin and stiffer than some other leather sweat bands I've handled.

There is such a thing as "recycled" leather, which is to leather as particleboard is to lumber. You now, the leather scraps are shredded and some other agent to glue the mess all back together again is introduced and, voila, a new sheet of a "leather" product.

It has its place. But I've yet to see a sweatband made from such a product that wasn't stiffer than I would prefer it to be.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
There is such a thing as "recycled" leather, which is to leather as particleboard is to lumber. You now, the leather scraps are shredded and some other agent to glue the mess all back together again is introduced and, voila, a new sheet of a "leather" product.

It has its place. But I've yet to see a sweatband made from such a product that wasn't stiffer than I would prefer it to be.

Thanks. That explains alot of things. Never knew that.

rogerstg

A-List Customer

This stuff is often applied to a fiber or paper backer. It's labeled "Bonded Leather." So when you see Bonded Leather on the sweatband, it's this stuff. FWIW, if you've ever seen "leather" furniture, clothing or sweatbands that are flaking, it's usually bonded leather.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This stuff is often applied to a fiber or paper backer. It's labeled "Bonded Leather." So when you see Bonded Leather on the sweatband, it's this stuff. FWIW, if you've ever seen "leather" furniture, clothing or sweatbands that are flaking, it's usually bonded leather.

As The Who said... "I won't get fooled again."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot