Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steer hide Aero A-2 42 Contract

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Was over at Gala today, and picked up my new A-2. Had pulled the trigger on a 38 horse hide one, but it was just on the large side, imho - a little too much wiggle room on the body and tunneling on the sleeves. The 36 in the 42 contract is a much easier proposition than the 38. Still a close fit, but a bit wider across the shoulders. Steer hide's interesting, not sure it'll form the same character as HH, but it's quite soft already, so it's got a decent drape already. Here's some pics:

And an action pic in a totally incongruous location. :D I choose not to explain the Downton Abbey backdrop...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, couldn't be a better fit. The mid-weight steerhide is very comfortable to wear from the onset, and was also used during on original WW II contracts. Nothing like Aero knits either. Congratulations on a great value.

Dav

One Too Many
I have to say, that does look rather good Sloan! If my A-2, when it turns up, fits half as good as that, I'll be a happy chap.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Looks great. (Still tickles me how much more positively the steer is viewed since Gary Eastman's revelations not so long ago... after all those years of it being "wrong" and "inferior". ;) ). The 42 jackets are definitely that little bit more generously fitted - mine is a 42, but I think I'd have to go up to a 44 in the 38 contract pattern. Can see why you went that way. The seal looks great - I'll be interested to see how it ages, by comparison to the horse and the goat.

majormajor

One Too Many
It would be fascinating to find out where the "it has to be horse" story came from in the first place. One of the A2 "experts"?
When I bought my first Eastman, back in the 80's, I didn't know what the hide was, and didn't really care.

As long as the hide looks good, why worry?

Craig's jacket will break in fabulously. Good one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone, your remarks are much appreciated! Have been out all day, so haven't had a chance to come back on questions etc. Simon, the sleeves are just the normal length - I always have a problem my cuffs as my arms seem to be at least an inch shorter than average. Yes, Eric, that's exactly how I wanted the room to look: I call it Aristo Fop. To be honest, if I could've taken the butler service home with me, though, I would've: "Shirt needs ironed? No problem, sir!" "Club sandwich and fries at 2am? No problem." etc etc. The jacket is very much a 'shirt fit' - I can get a t-shirt and thin jumper under it, but that's it - to me it's a jacket to be worn over a thin layer and looks best that way, otherwise the 42 gets a little bit blouson-y on my frame
Quite a few interesting things on the go up at Aero btw - place was a hive of activity as per usual. They're on the cusp (or is that cuff?) of bringing a new 'premier label' of sorts, which will see one-off jackets being produced in unique hides (ie the same type used by Hermes etc). I also saw a fantastic jacket made from the panels cut to include the mane line - which gives a beautiful grading of colour, from dark to light - which is another new product. The panels are positioned aesthetically, ie as arm panels with the dark edge on the seams. Also, the blanket lining that it was lined was really nice, though definitely not for Texan climes, Fanch ;).
What else? they're adding a really nice pair of cordovan boots to the collection soon, ( called Jarrow Marchers if my memory is correct) UK-produced no less...:D Should be a good bit cheaper than the usual cordovan shell ones, too.

wdw

One Too Many
Sounds intriguing. Let's hope they get all this new stuff up soon. I like the sound of the boots.

simonc

Practically Family
Great feedback Sloan, yeah Ken told me something about the Hermes brown horse he was eyeing, I'm glad they are getting that together, it sounded like nice stuff. Aero are really on the climb since Ken has returned, I am so happy for them them. Great jacket Sloan looks like it was made for you.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a very creative approach. Also, I think they're looking to go to Horween for all weights of leather in future, not just the FQHH.

Edward

Bartender
It would be fascinating to find out where the "it has to be horse" story came from in the first place. One of the A2 "experts"?

I think it's as simple as horse having been specc'ed on the original US government tender for the A2. Some even dismissed goat as inferior in the past, despite it having long been known to have been used as an alternative (and despite, if my memory serves, original examples in goat having survived in greater numbers than those in horse).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen