Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 3X Mode Edge Thin Ribbon

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This lid made its way to my door courtesy of rlk (thanks, Robert! :)) I think that this is an example of a fairly rare Stetson -- a 3X thin ribbon with a mode edge. The color is a gorgeous shade of silver blue. Open crown is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 3/4". In terms of feel -- imagine a vintage Dobbs 20 with a thin ribbon, and you've got a good idea of the thickness and feel of this felt. Just beautiful. It's nice to have a thin ribbon in a heavier weight that can be worn in the winter, and I'm looking forward to it (wearing the hat, that is...:D).

Here goes...

3XTROC.jpg

3XTRLiner.jpg

3XTR-2.jpg

3XTR-4.jpg

3XTR-3.jpg

3XTR-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Wow. That is sharp. Is it just me or is the mode edge alittle more substantial than 'normal'? A product of the felt thickness?

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Genuinely lovely. But I note that it's my size, not yours. I'd hate to see you suffer an uncomfortably large hat.
I can help.

HatsEnough

Banned
I have a mode edge 50's era Stetson in a greenish blue color. The felt does seem a tad heavier than other Stetsons. My ribbon is one of those felt ribbons, kind of like a sportster. It isn't cross grain or thin.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looking good with the Patented Crease! I admired this one for a number of months before releasing it. Plump and nicely finished edge and felt and a great color. Its found a fine home even if Bodie is turning his back.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Looking good with the Patented Crease! I admired this one for a number of months before releasing it. Plump and nicely finished edge and felt and a great color. Its found a fine home even if Bodie is turning his back.

Thanks for the catch and release, Robert. ;)

And many thanks for the nice comments, Gents! :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow. That is sharp. Is it just me or is the mode edge alittle more substantial than 'normal'? A product of the felt thickness?

You will find thinner Mode Edges on Stetsons with thinner felt -- so, in that sense, it is substantial. Still, it is very much in proportion with the thickness of the felt. Right in line with the Guild Edge on a Dobbs 20.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Genuinely lovely. But I note that it's my size, not yours. I'd hate to see you suffer an uncomfortably large hat.
I can help.

The selflessness of this magnanimous gesture truly makes me verklempt...

Tragically (for you), however, this one fits like a custom. :D

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The selflessness of this magnanimous gesture truly makes me verklempt...

Tragically (for you), however, this one fits like a custom. :D

Hear that creaking sound? That's the screams of another 3/8 hat on the stretcher...

Seriously... I've been wearing my Mode Edge 3X and Sovereign 20 hats a lot lately.
I find that thick, dense felt with that particular edge binding to be possibly the strongest,
most impervious felt ever. I've crushed 'em in a baggage compartment on a plane, put them
through countless rainstorms, and stuffed 'em in my suitcase. No appreciable change.
Tougher than Cavanaghs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot