Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Nostalgia or Akubra Fedora?

Alchemy5150

New in Town
I can't seem to decide on one or the other.

I have a Stetson Temple, but the crown is too low for my taste.

I have a Federation Deluxe, which is very nice, but I'd rather not buy another hat with such a straight-sided crown.

The Akubra Fedora looks nice, but it's had to tell what the crown is like from the photos I've seen of it. Also, I have no use for a trolly cord.

The Stetson Nostalgia also looks nice, and I'm glad they finally offer it in a brown (mink) color, but I'm concerned about their quality and that I'll have yet another stetson on my hands with a crown that's too low.

For some reason, it's hard to find everything I'm looking for in a modern hat:

A tall tapered crown around 5 inches high

A 2 1/2 inch brim OR a 2 5/8 (front/back), 2 3/8 (sides) brim

A front pinch center dent OR a subtle/hand bashed tear drop shape (no irritating little domes in the middle of the tear drop)

Any suggestions?

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Stetson Nostalgia is significantly higher and straighter than Temple. It is nearly as straight as Fed IV, and similar in height. I happened to buy both around the same time; here they are unbashed (Stetson with feather):

stetson_v_akubra.jpg

stetson_v_akubra_2.jpg

FWIW my photo software confirms what I see: Stetson's Caribou is a warmer gray (less blue) than Akubra's Moonstone. I prefer Caribou, but in other respects the Akubra holds its own.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alchemy, I may end up in the minority trying to swim against the great Akubra tidal wave, but I really like the Stetson Nostalgias I have looked at. I have not yet found one in my size at the Garland Outlet but I will buy it when I do. The felt is very nice, but since I don't have one I can't yet comment on the water issue, although I have not had dye problems with the other Stetson models I have. I have a standard moonstone Fed IV and it is nice enough and a good all-around hat, but I think the Stetsons are definitely dressier. The crown should be high enough for you as it is the same height as the Stetson Colony I have and it is just a tad shorter than my Akubra Camp Draft. Hope this is useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner