Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson question

budward

One of the Regulars
But a coupla statements first. Open Roads, Playboys, Whippets, Stratoliners--these are names of hat models (do we hat people call 'em models like car models?), while royal, royal deluxe and imperial are indications of the quality. And the models go with the quality indicator--I've got a royal stetson open road, for instance. Here's the question part: what do you have if your stetson just says royal or royal deluxe or imperial with no model indicator? Were the no model stated hats sold in different brim sizes/colors/crown heights (as long as they weren't the diminsions for the Whippet or Stratoliner, e.g, in which case they would BE a Whippet or Stratoliner)? What "model" was your stetson when it didn't have one stated?

Many thanx as always

Budmond

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is just a name.

"Here's the question part: what do you have if your stetson just says royal or royal deluxe or imperial with no model indicator?"

The Royal, Royal Deluxe, and Imperial were the GRADE of the hat. It is the "good, better, best" thing.

The Whippet, Stratoliner, Open Road, etc. were STYLES, ie. specific SHAPES. Therfore, the Open Road (think Truman and LBJ) had that narrow ribbon western look...and the Whippet was the "suave" style.

ALL MARKETING GIMMICS. Just the same as how they name the next car mode.

I have a Royal Stetson from "early" days, from the early 40's. I also have an "Imperial" Stetson from the late 50's. Guess which is better? The earlier hat!

Also, some of my hats that are vintage vary in quality from hat to hat regardless what the "name" is. It's smoke.

Fedora

Vendor
have a Royal Stetson from "early" days, from the early 40's. I also have an "Imperial" Stetson from the late 50's. Guess which is better? The earlier hat!

Yeah, I have a Stetson Imperial, and it is a very fine hat. I got another Imperial, and it was not even close to the first in the felt dept. I am with Andy on this one. Smoke. Fedora

MattC

A-List Customer
Yep, 25 bucks

Its part of a series of Hats Stetson did (Dobbs, Knox and Cavanagh [I think] did as well) in which the "model" name is the price. I have a couple of Knox 20s of uncertain date, and a Dobbs 20 from 1949. As others have said, the quality depends less on the name for the style or the grade, and more on when it was made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart