Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Shore Club

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to buler for discovering this amazing lid!

As far as I know, this is the only example of the Stetson Shore Club that we have ever seen here. The Zephyr-weight felt is beautifully smooth, and the color is a very rich, deep blue/gray. The ribbon is actually silver, with an orange/red stripe. The ribbon treatment itself is unique -- I don't remember seeing this particular treatment on any other Stetson. Very cool. The sweat is in great shape -- the cracked appearance in the photos is simply due to pigmentation, the leather is actually quite smooth. I love the type-face used on "Shore Club" on the sweat, as well. Neat stitching along the edge of the brim. The diamond ventilation holes are beautifully done -- the spittin' image of the Shore Club modeled by Bob Hope in the 1948 Stetson ad.

As far as the crease goes -- I decided to go with a diamond on this one, which seems to suit this lid, I think...

SCOpenCrown.jpg

SCRight.jpg

SCLeft-2.jpg

SCLiner.jpg

SCSweat-2.jpg

SCSweat-1.jpg

SCSweat-3.jpg

SCBrimEdge.jpg

SCCenter.jpg

SCLeft.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

J.B.

Practically Family
Wow! Now that hat is one rara avis for sure!!! :eek: Congrats, Jimmy.
jamespowers said:
...Too bad there aren't more of them out there so we could actually have a Stetson Shore Club Club. ;) ...
:arated: heh. It looks like JtL may own the sole survivor?! :cool: Since it's a Zephyr-weight -- I'll program my time machine to take me back to the Turf Club at Del Mar Race Track for the 1948 or 1949 summer thoroughbred meetings...
  • 1948 -- A new crop of Hollywood types makes Del Mar the spot to be for summer frolic. Among the celebs who join in the turf and surf fun this year are Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Betty Grable, George Jessel, Mickey Rooney and Jimmy Durante. Durante becomes such a regular that the track eventually names its turf course in his honor.
  • 1949 -- A young rider out of Texas sets a Del Mar record of 52 wins at the meet and becomes the first apprentice to claim the track's riding title. His name is William Lee Shoemaker, and his history and that of the track will become entwined hereafter.

...I'll find one for sure, I'll bet?! :p

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Just noticed the side vents. Reminds me of the hat Art had in Monteagle, except his had the wider ribbon.
Where did you find this gem?

Well, in typical fashion, it was actually buler who found this gem. ;) Tragically for buler, but fortunately for me, it was a little too big for his noggin'...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
J.B. said:
Since it's a Zephyr-weight -- I'll program my time machine to take me back to the Turf Club at Del Mar Race Track for the 1948 or 1949 summer thoroughbred meetings...

...I'll find one for sure, I'll bet?! :p

Of course, you might have better luck if you program your time machine to take you back to the Shore Club, instead of the Turf Club. :p

That way, you'll find one for shore... :D

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool lid, buler and Jimmy. Glad to see you two hard at work preserving (and wearing) history.

I wonder how effective those vents are at providing ventilation, particularly since the hat is lined anyway? Or are they mostly a design element?

BobC said:
I wonder how effective those vents are at providing ventilation, particularly since the hat is lined anyway? Or are they mostly a design element?

They are fairly effective in my black Stetson Playboy. It doesn't have a liner though. [huh] I often wondered if it truly was a factory vent but this makes me think that it was as it is exactly the same pattern.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I often wondered if it truly was a factory vent but this makes me think that it was as it is exactly the same pattern.

I think the national Stetson advertising pretty much settles that question. The Bob Hope Shore Club ad and the the Burt Lancaster Playboy ad both feature the ventilation pattern as part and parcel of the advertised lids.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner