Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson with a Star

Ok, I have had a request to share this one so here it goes:

hatperf2.jpg

Side view
Hatperf.jpg

Close up

hatperf1.jpg

From the front.

The hat is odd in the sense that it has not liner and on top of it it has no mention of the store that sold it on the sweatband. The star, of course, is fairly different as well---considering it is only on the right side.
The crown is 5" high as I have it and the brim is 3". Looks liek brand new and came with the original box from what I can tell.

Regards to all,

J

Victor

One of the Regulars
Nice looking hat! The star appears to be a vent and that would be consistant with the lack of a liner. Probably designed for warmer weather at least part of the time.

BellyTank said:
The lone Star State- Stetson, Texas and all- and a vent.
Make sense?

I sort of figured that. :rolleyes: I was thinking Texas Ranger or something more specific. Some reason why they would make such a singular hat that this is the only one I have ever seen.
The vent would also make sense for Texas weather most of the year. I doubt this has ever been worn much though because it is still quite stiff and clean. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
Texas Rangers

I don't believe the Rangers have ever had an official uniform. They wear what they please, but that is usually western style clothing. In the early days they had to provide their own horses and equipment except for a Colt .45 and a 30/30 rifle which the state of Texas provided.

They are still a highly respected law enforcement entity here in Texas.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I see the crown popped out without leaving a crease. I like things out of the ordinary and you are picking up some interesting finds JP. That hat was well worth the money. Thanks for sharing the pics.

fedoralover

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
The unofficial Texas Ranger uniform is starched white pearl snap shirt and starched Wrangler's, sharply creased. The preferred hat is a 4 inch brimmed Silverbelly Stetson with a Cattleman's or Alpine crease in the crown. They wear there pistols on the outside of their britches, usually in a hand tooled Ranger belt and holster rig.

I have noticed that some Western Wear shops I have visited will vent a crown in in different patterns. Maybe the vent holes were addrd after the hat was purchased or at the dealer's.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, James, for sharing photos of that hat. I love it, especially with that little lone star vent on the side.

I have a book called The Cowboy Hat Book (by W. Reynolds and R.Rand). It has photos of lots of custom hats, plus Stetsons, Resistol, etc. There are photos of hats with vents, mostly the three-holed version on the sides, some were straw open-weaved with patterns, etc., but I saw none with star vents. One Stetson had a single air vent on the top.

I did, however, notice a couple of interesting hats that had star cutouts, with a contrasting felt color under it. One was a single star cutout, one a cactus with two small stars (from hatmaker Michael Malone). Another fancy hat sported a hair-on calf band; it had a longhorn face cutout on the side with an inlay that matched the band. It was from Shorty's Caboy Hattery.

I love those hats....

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner