Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop for Nazi posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Ah, well... it depends upon where you start applying the necessary, doesn't it? Although from the German and Japanese points of view the war(s) may have been necessary, but was it really? Did they really need to invade their neighbors? From our (US) point of view it didn't become necessary until we were attacked. Of course, that would have happened sooner or later; it's just as well it happened when it did rather then with a German invasion on the east coast.

Actually, now that I think further on it, ALL wars are necessary--at least, in the eyes of those who start them. No one says to themselves that today we'll start an unnessary war with the folks next door. And then the war becomes necessary for those who were attacked, as it is necessary to respond in kind.

Regards,
Tom

I would say from the Allied position, it was necessary. ;)

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
AmateisGal said:
I would say from the Allied position, it was necessary. ;)
In hindsight, totally, but was it at the time?
It wasn't until Poland resisted that England and France declared war on Germany. Until Sept. of '39, they were welcomed with open arms to every country they annexed/took back what was theirs before the Versailles treaty carved it all up . It was called the "Flower war" by the German troops because of the flowers the native populations would bring the columns of german soldiers. Even after Japan attacked the US did we even roll up our sleeves and EVEN THEN we didnt declare war on Germany. Hitler took care of that for us in 41.

One could argue that, in the times and what they knew during said times, was it really necessary for the allies to declare war on germany?

Again, in hindsight YES YES YES it was, but we forget we didnt know about the death camps until much much much later.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Chris Dillon said:
One could argue that, in the times and what they knew during said times, was it really necessary for the allies to declare war on germany?

Any thinking person who read John Gunther's "Inside Europe" and Sir Neville Henderson's "Failure Of A Mission" -- best sellers in late 1938/early 1939 -- knew the answer to that question. It wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Chris Dillon said:
In hindsight, totally, but was it at the time?
It wasn't until Poland resisted that England and France declared war on Germany. Until Sept. of '39, they were welcomed with open arms to every country they annexed/took back what was theirs before the Versailles treaty carved it all up . It was called the "Flower war" by the German troops because of the flowers the native populations would bring the columns of german soldiers. Even after Japan attacked the US did we even roll up our sleeves and EVEN THEN we didnt declare war on Germany. Hitler took care of that for us in 41.

Again, in hindsight YES YES YES it was, but we forget we didnt know about the death camps until much much much later.

You raise some interesting points. I am not sure exactly when it became a necessary war to the Allies, but at some point, it did. Our isolationist mood had a lot to do with that, as well as the tragedies from the first World War. That was especially true in Great Britain.

I think there were those who saw this whole thing coming in America and in Europe and were dismissed as being fatalists or pessimists or what have you. No one wanted to believe a second world war could come so quickly.

I also believe there were people who talked about the death camps long before they became common knowledge, but no one wanted to believe it. And really, who could blame them? Who would want to think the nation that gave us Wagner and Goethe and all the cultural and scientific achievements could commit such atrocities?

Tiller

Practically Family
I think some of you guys are simply to sensitive, sometimes I wonder how many people here I'd actually get along with in real life. I seem to be seeing lots of that on this forum lately :rolleyes:.

I'd sell a fascist uniform, to a communist, so long as they paid the right price. I could care less why they wanted it.

People collect everything from apple head dolls to xylophones. Some collect things for historical values, others for profit, others for the simple oddity of it. Lot's of people admire the quality of German goods from that time period, German made fedora's from the age are highly collectible for example, so it's hardly surprising the German arms from that age are highly collectible. I know for a fact that the two Great Uncles that I had who fought in Germany, both attempted to find a German Luger owned by a "genuine" German officer. My uncle claims they made something of a contest out of it between them :rolleyes:. I wonder what my uncles would think of all these people today who are getting their panties in a bundle over the very items that they coveted when they were fighting in the war!

Many people have inherited collections from their parents, and uncles and have simply expanded it. All of my Great Uncles fought in the war, two didn't come back, but the rest did. My family has a collection of "war trophies", both from the Atlantic and the Pacific.

If I had to guess from the reactions of some on this forum, the fact that my mother owns a blood stained Nazi flag that her Uncle brought home from the war, she must be a "Nazi sympathizer" :rolleyes:. My uncle owns a Japanese sword that my great uncle brought home, I guess that means my uncle approves of Japanese Imperialism :rolleyes:.

The vast majority of people that I know who collect these items, either inherited a collection from someone who was in the war and are building onto it, or they simply collect everything from the second World War. To then have people getting on their high horse and declaring these collectors to be Nazi's for the simple reason that people enjoy authenticating their items, and discussing about how well they were made is just laughable to me.

I feel bad for my best friend. He's a Marine who served in Afghanistan two years ago, and brought back a Springfield muzzle loader that was once the property of a Victorian soilder. Guess he doesn't know he is a traitor to his country, because he has interest in items from the British Empire. :rolleyes:

As far as people who comment on respecting the tactical skills of German or Japanese Generals and Admirals it's called understanding and studying war, and admiring talent for what it is. The American military itself adopted aspects of blitzkrieg tactics into our book. Admiring the skills of a General isn't the same as claiming you admire why said general fought.

Many people think Mike Tyson is an ass, but you can't deny that he is one of the best boxers of the last half of the 20th century. Admiring someones skill isn't the same as admiring their personality,or ideals.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Chris Dillon said:

Not that much much much later.

Valid intelligence reports began coming in to Allied hands properly towards the beginning of '42.

And of course Britain and her Allies had to declare war on Germany. It was obvious that somebody had to stand up to Hitler's plans for Europe.

I'll clarify what I stated on the first page of this thread. I for one do not like Nazi uniform, insignia and symbolism (perhaps I should have said the politicised items and especially SS). Of course not all German soldiers, seamen and airmen were Nazis, and such assumptions are ridiculous but I must admit that I hate the SS and the paramilitary organisations of the Third Reich. I personally cannot separate the uniform and insignia from the ideals and deeds of that organisation and I dislike the sight of it. As I mentioned previously my feelings are due to family experiences and having seen firsthand the effects on survivors by those bastards (pardon my French).

And that's where I stand on the matter.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Closed.

Sorry, gang. Until I have time to wade thru the ranting and raving, it's time to put this one out of its misery. After Paddy and I and some others have made a review, it may or may not be reopened. GALYFA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo