Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2007 Langlitz Cascade...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if I've ever dedicated a full thread to my straight-zip Cascade, and since I've recently had a little work done to it I figured I might as well post about it.

Back in 2007 I took delivery of a modified Cascade with a straight zipper, cafe racer collar, 'hidden' elbow pads from their Japan site, Scovill zipper and a Rust colored cowhide (a $50 option at the time). Like other brown Langlitz jackets the color was pretty flat.. not much to look at. I immediately knew upon opening the package that I was not going to enjoy the color. I wore it for two months over the fall and decided I needed to try something before I'd have to sell the jacket.

I had been dabbling in leatherwork.. belts, wallets, knife sheaths, etc, and had some experience in dying leather. So I grew a pair of balls and went to work on my $900 jacket.

Here was the original..

After two coats of Feibing's Dark Brown leather dye, a good sponging, and then a heavy application of leather dressing, this is what the jacket became...

The jacket turned out far better than I could have ever imagined. It was the ideal color... exactly what I was going for. The flat colored leather now had that deep, rich look to it. I continued to wear the jacket for years. Lots of rain, snow and sun. Thousands upon thousands of miles on the motorcycle. The color held up great... sure it faded over time but it really made the jacket look like something special. I would regularly receive emails from forum members asking me if the jacket was for sale. I always got a kick out of how popular it had become. Some of you might recognize these pics from past posts...

Well a couple of years ago things changed and I hated the look of the cafe racer collar. I shelved the jacket and never wore it again. I recently went through my pile of unworn leathers, and came across it. I remembered all the good times in that jacket and decided to email Scott at Langlitz and ask if I could have a dress collar put on. Scott said they sure could, and they still had enough Rust color leather in stock to make a collar. He also informed me that he keeps my order form in his desk because he gets so many emails asking for my exact jacket. He said the jacket has become somewhat of a celebrity around the shop, and he was excited to get it back and see it in person. I thought that was really cool. He also said the color of my jacket is requested all the time, and he sadly has to inform them that it was a custom dye job.

Anyway, the jacket has returned, the dying has been done, and the jacket is ready for more years of abuse.

Well thanks for reading, guys. I haven't been on the forums in a while... kids and work seem to take up all of my time these past few years. Enjoy those leathers of yours.

Tom

Wow. That is SICK. Sick! Quality v quantity - that is superb.
Life often interrupts hobbies, but Thank you for posting this.
Sounds like you're enjoying it and rightly so.

technovox

One Too Many
Jeez. What a beauty! And what a amazing difference! The leather in that first pic looked so flat and uninspired and the subsequent leather pics are so rich and deep. Langlitz should seriously consider offering some kind of custom dye option. Thanks for sharing.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That is awesome. I love Langlitz. Your going to laugh at this. A couple of years ago, when I first made enquiry, I sent a pic of your jacket in, and said this is the colour I want! Scotty said exactly the same thing. That famous jacket, everyone is asking for it. So he had a file on your jacket.i know it's yours because of the little red badge. The colour is red hot. I wish they did more natural or deeper colours? It's my one complaint with those guys. I would love something in your colour. You have done very very well. Congratulations, the dress collar looks great. What a great project.

Excellent read! Fantastic work on the collar and yeah, I know this jacket all too well, it's the one I've seen pop up most often when image searching for jackets.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
That is awesome. I love Langlitz. Your going to laugh at this. A couple of years ago, when I first made enquiry, I sent a pic of your jacket in, and said this is the colour I want! Scotty said exactly the same thing. That famous jacket, everyone is asking for it. So he had a file on your jacket.i know it's yours because of the little red badge. The colour is red hot. I wish they did more natural or deeper colours? It's my one complaint with those guys. I would love something in your colour. You have done very very well. Congratulations, the dress collar looks great. What a great project.

Ha that's great! What did you end up going with? I have another Cascade in their original pattern in dark brown heavy cow, and while I like the dark brown better than the rust, it still lacks pop (excellent motorcycle jacket though).

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Excellent read! Fantastic work on the collar and yeah, I know this jacket all too well, it's the one I've seen pop up most often when image searching for jackets.

You know, for the first time ever I googled Langlitz Cascade last week to show a buddy what they look like, and I was shocked to see my two cascades pop up as much as they did! Funny stuff. And thank you for the kind words.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Ha that's great! What did you end up going with? I have another Cascade in their original pattern in dark brown heavy cow, and while I like the dark brown better than the rust, it still lacks pop (excellent motorcycle jacket though).
I went with a butterscotch Skookum Cascade from their Japanese site. I wanted a brown one, but none of the Browns really stood out to me. I love the jacket. The guys at Langlitz are awesome to deal with.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I went with a butterscotch Skookum Cascade from their Japanese site. I wanted a brown one, but none of the Browns really stood out to me. I love the jacket. The guys at Langlitz are awesome to deal with.
View attachment 31467

I know lots of folks diss that color, but that jacket makes me drool for so many reasons...

Yes mate, I wasn't sure of the butterscotch at first. I already had 3 brown jackets, and I rarely wear black. This colour came out of left field in a hurry, so I emailed the guys and changed the colour from rust like tommers pre dye, and changed to butterscotch. Changed the collar from brown to natural. I like it, pretty retro and a Bit different. Like an expensive hi vis shirt!

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Tommer45, love the story and love the brown color you ended up with. That original brown seems very similar to the brown that Lost Worlds uses - not a big fan of that color. Also love how your jacket is such a secret celebrity! When I eventually order from Langlitz, it'll probably be a version of the Cascade as well. Thanks for sharing!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
that is a very nice brown. new collar looks like it still can be popped up as stand collar too very versatile size & shape

Roma

A-List Customer
View attachment 31467
View attachment 31468
Hey Ben, your jacket is iconic too. I love it. I love the color. Mine is black which is pretty good too but yours' eye-catching. Congrats. Maybe if I ever to get another Langlitz, it'll be your color.

Roma

A-List Customer
The story, the jacket and the color are all great. I wonder if Langlitz could make the back of my classic Columbia padded. Will drop an email to Scotty to ask about that but if anybody has some relevant experience, please, share.
ae7ff3e444e1176cb3455f396687e657.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The story, the jacket and the color are all great. I wonder if Langlitz could make the back of my classic Columbia padded. Will drop an email to Scotty to ask about that but if anybody has some relevant experience, please, share.
ae7ff3e444e1176cb3455f396687e657.jpg
Yes they can. It's much more expensive than getting it done at the time it's made, but they certainly can do it for it you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo