Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Day

kpreed

One of the Regulars
HEARNS ONCE-A-YEAR HAT SENSATION! STARTING TODAY!

10,000 Men's FINE HATS

Genuine Panamas -- Sample Felts -- Featherweight Felts -- Fine Quality Straws -- Bangaroos

The greatest and largest collection that Hearns has put on sale in a year! A HISTORY MAKING EVENT if we ever saw one! Every hat BRAND NEW this season and guaranteed FIRST QUALITY. A range of models and styles that will suit every man from 16 to 60. Starting Today! Come Early!

ALL STYLES -- $1.19 -- Made to sell for $1.89 to $3.89

REMEMBER -- MAY 15th is STRAW HAT DAY!

HEARNS -- 14th St. at 5th Ave. and HEARNS -- BRONX -- 150th St. at 3rd Ave. THE BARGAIN STORE OF ALL THE PEOPLE. TOmpkins Sq. 6-8000 MOtt Haven 9-6400

I find this info one of the best, I will be wearing my straw Boater on this May 15th for sure! (Weather Permitting of course)

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
92 here in E Texas today. Straw hat comes out tomorrow

I'm taking the wife back to Ga next week for her 50th high school reunion, then a few days up in the N Ga mountains. I will be taking a large felt in case of rain and a couple of straws.

May 15 might be correct for further north, but here in the deep south straws come out earlier and stay longer!!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May 15th is Straw Hat Day the beginning of the season when men may wear their straw boaters and Panamas rather than the fur felt fedoras, porkpies, homburgs, and bowlers that we wear the rest of the year. Straw hats may be worn until Felt Hat Day which is September 15th.

That was always my understanding as well...but that's not to say I'll not wear a boater or Panama in the dead of winter if the mood strikes me, nor will I refrain from putting on the Fed, Squatter or Sydney in summery weather either.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I'd somehow thought Straw Hat Day was in April. But it's coming up! Time to brush and box the heavy felts soon.

The time to brush and box the heavier felts started a couple of weeks ago here in LA. All my winter hats have been put away and I'm negotiations with Art for my newest Panama :)

RBH

Bartender
A few Straw Hat Days ads....
from 1927, 1936 and 1952.

straw27.jpg

straw36.jpg

straw52.jpg

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I wear straw hats when it gets hot, but I still wear felts in summer, sometimes, Like when I go to an outside event at night, espacally if rain is in the works. I often wear a felt cowboy hat to the Rodeo on the 4th of July, a do many others, however Straw hats are in the majority at that time of year, but they are not worth a darn if it rains.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Man

I need to get to either "Owens" or to "Hearns" where the prices are right.

I think the hat inflation we are experiencing is just incredible.

Although, at the same time you paid $1.19 for a good straw hat you could buy a new car for a few hundred bucks or a hamburger for a nickel ...

Maybe we could get McDonalds to make straw hats?

Sam

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
The day approacheth; the day hath arrived. The week's forecast is for the low nineties with humidity hoovering around the same mark...I fear I must forgo tradition and break out the straw a wee bit early this year.

Feraud

Bartender
It still feels a bit too cool in the city to bring out the straw. It's currently 51 and sunny. It may take another couple of weeks before I wear straw.

viktor77

New in Town
I've been unknowingly violating this day by already wearing my straws. Next year I'll try to follow the "rules!"

Although the weather in Michigan has been mostly pretty cool so I don't even know if it's worth it to wear a straw tomorrow.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Iv'e boxed all but two furs already and have bouncing back and forth the last couple of weeks. Last week we had snow flurries and 80 degrees in three days--whats a guy to do. Mother nature must be as confused as I am.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Iv'e boxed all but two furs already and have bouncing back and forth the last couple of weeks. Last week we had snow flurries and 80 degrees in three days--whats a guy to do. Mother nature must be as confused as I am.

I keep a couple of Art's light weight fur felts out all summer. I usually wear them in the evening.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Sadly, my straw Stetson would have to reblocked in time for this, and the hat I'm currently bidding on from Vintage Haberdasher would not arrive in time. No straw hat day for me this year!

Unless I can find a boater someplace!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR