Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style vs. Function

MAB1

Suspended
What's important to you?

From my own observations ...

Functionality is out the window with kids these days. They love the shorty brim Snot Nose (Frank Sinatra) hats.

And... it seems that the older members here (like myself) like wider brims. A shorty brim may have looked good on me 30 years ago. I've gained some girth. And my face reflects it.

It wasn't JFK. The style experts cut the brim off that hat. And... in doing that they made ballcaps, stocking caps, etc more funtional. But lack of brim has IMO contributed to the rise in melanoma.

Now... I have a bud who's a doctor that will refute that. But... his kind used to draw blood in barbershops to cure you. ;)

I love all hat styles. I wear them all. I choose them depending on the weather for the day.

I still haven't figured out the FEZ though. :D

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
The Fez? Hmmm.....isn't that the hat that when worn allows others to snap your head back and be rewarded with a candy treat that is ejected out of your mouth? Pretty collectable as well, from what I hear...;)

Socrets

Familiar Face
MAB1 said:
What's important to you?

From my own observations ...

Functionality is out the window with kids these days. They love the shorty brim Snot Nose (Frank Sinatra) hats.

And... it seems that the older members here (like myself) like wider brims. A shorty brim may have looked good on me 30 years ago. I've gained some girth. And my face reflects it.

I love all hat styles. I wear them all. I choose them depending on the weather for the day.

I still haven't figured out the FEZ though. :D

I wouldn't say functionality has gone completely out the window. Perhaps it's gone out with hipsters or people who don't know better but for the rest of us who realize that no one can pull off the red lobster look like to wear a wide brim (granted they're usually western style hats but still...). Personally, I enjoy a wide brim over the stingy and keeping dry in the rain. In fact, that's why I usually wear my Akubra even when it's 80 frackin degrees and humid just in case it rains. Like the red lobster look, the drowned rat look is bad on anyone. On another note, I wouldn't say no to wearing a fez if just to have the most unique hat on campus.

DerMann

Practically Family
Apart from my top hat, I don't have any hats of my own :x

I think I may purchase a few trilbies, as hats with smaller brims don't tend to accentuate one's horizontal plane (i.e. girth) as much.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
JohnnyGringo said:
The Fez? Hmmm.....isn't that the hat that when worn allows others to snap your head back and be rewarded with a candy treat that is ejected out of your mouth? Pretty collectable as well, from what I hear...;)

Pez ? :p

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Style vs Function? I'd have to say both are important to me. I like wide brims (keeps the sun off my bald noggin & snow and rain off my glasses), but stingys are OK too. After several years of always wearing hats, I now own a whole slew of hats, and I still haven't decided which I like best. I like fedoras with the wide brim. So I seem to be leaning toward cowboy hats with the pinch front bash.

donCarlos

Practically Family
style AND function

It´s a great protection from weather (ok, I have to add a wind trolley) and some people say that I look great in a hat (The others do not understand my passion for the golden era :) )

RPeers

One of the Regulars
I love the style that goes with shorter brim fedoras as well and wear them when I take my girl out, however I purchased a wide-brimmed biltmore fedora for full sun or rainy days(I love the sound of the rain on the brim).

And I thought the Fez was appropriate for wearing well enjoying an evening smoke on the patio.

MAB1

Suspended
I know that there were a lot of reasons leading to the demise of hats, in the 60's. And I blame a lot of it on the shorty stingy brim. It took functionality out of it, at least, when it comes to shade. It became, "Why bother?" Just my opine.

I think that part of the resurgence we're seeing in older gents, wearing hats, is due to a fear of skin cancer. But, I cannot explain the reason that kids today have grown fond of the stingies.

I will admit that, as a child (mind you), I did have a stingy, Like Frank w/ the feather. But, I also had a dutchboy hat like John Lennon wore. And... at the time ... I wanted to grow up to be a cowboy. Had one one of those hats too. :D

Jovan

Suspended
I don't understand why people can't just wear sunscreen. Hats help, but sun is sun. It will eventually come at you no matter how big your brim is. I would never blame that for melanoma, just people who are lazy. :p

epic610

One of the Regulars
if you happen to look....

into GQ, Esquire or Vogue for Men you will notice suits with narrow silhouettes, narrow lapels, tighter pants and skinny ties, a throwback to the 1960's. this is the style best suited to 2" or less brims. see that wonderful picture of sean connery in "goldfinger".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This one has one function, anyway: anti-smoking therapy.

goldgerg-hat-500.jpg

Rube Goldberg Hat, Phil Bliss Studio

MAB1

Suspended
kabuto said:
The "rise in melanoma" is just a rise in early stage conditions that could lead to melanoma. Dermatologists have discovered that they can increase their income by putting their balding white male patients on the "subscription plan" by using the word "cancer" and suggesting that they come in every six months for a liquid nitrogen treatment.

Some background: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/dispatches/050825.html

In general, any "rise in" disease X turns out to be bogus when examined in detail. The most common cause is disease mission creep, where it gets redefined to be broader than it previously was, to include trivial edge cases.

bah humbug! You probably think global warming is a myth???

MAB1

Suspended
Sorry don't get me wrong.

But, the plain and simple fact of the matter is simple to see.

Spend your life unprotected from the sun and ... there are consequences.

People wore hats for thousands of years for a reason.

In the last 50 years they somehow decided that it wasn't stylish and... Voi la... a rise in skin cancers.

2+2 aint rocket science.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
kabuto said:
The "rise in melanoma" is just a rise in early stage conditions that could lead to melanoma. Dermatologists have discovered that they can increase their income by putting their balding white male patients on the "subscription plan" by using the word "cancer" and suggesting that they come in every six months for a liquid nitrogen treatment.

In general, any "rise in" disease X turns out to be bogus when examined in detail. The most common cause is disease mission creep, where it gets redefined to be broader than it previously was, to include trivial edge cases.

Tell that to the many people who come into my store every week having just had a chunk of skin cut off their face, neck or arms by the dermatologist.

carldelo

One Too Many
kabuto said:

Sorry Kabuto, the article you cite does not support the conclusion you have drawn. I don't think the article has enough depth to support any conclusion, to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo