Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subjective question for the forum regarding a THIS or THAT...

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
I have a subjective question for forums members. I'm currently looking at the LW's Ryder jacket in their sales section. Price is $300. It is made from their 3oz HH and NOT their inductrial 4oz which is fine with me since this would be a casual jacket and would NEVER be used for riding since I already have proper MC jackets. Now, here lies the dilemma. There is a BLACK Aero Highwayman on Aero's sales section BUT the price is DOUBLE, around $560 USD with current exchange, of the Ryder. Even though I have never owned a LW jacket, from what I have read regarding the ownership from others and IMHO, I DO NOT feel that the Aero is worth DOUBLE the Ryder BUT I do like the FQHH from Aero and this one is ALREADY slightly broken in which would be much more comfortable from the start. The ryder is NEW and even though it is made from 3oz HH it would probably require a little time to break in. Question is: Which option would you choose and why? BTW, I currently have 2 Aero jackets (1 steerhide and 1 FQHH) and 2 Eastman (A2 and G1). I have never owned a jacket from LW hence my hesitation.

BTW, if anyone has an Eastman Irvin or B-3 in a size 36 and would like to move it on, PLEASE PLEASE contact me!! ;)

Cheers,

Bruce

apba1166

A-List Customer
At half the price and new? Ryder...I like breaking in my own jackets. And the 3oz. ought to be really nice. LW 4oz, takes your whole life to break in. -Mark

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Definitely the LW Ryder. Considering the sale price, if you don't like it when it arrives, you should be able to resell locally and recoup your full purchase price rather quickly... you won't even have to spring for return shipping or any other cost. I mean, since you already have a couple of Aeros, why not try something a bit different at practically no risk and less cost? Aero and LW horsehide are quite different, though both are excellent. I have 3 Aero and 3 LW jackets, and I've never been able to decide which leather I prefer... it's always a coin toss. I can vouch that LW craftsmanship is better than Aero; I am not aware of anyone with higher quality work than LW, tho Langlitz and possibly a couple others are equal. Aero FQHH has a much stronger horse odor, and many people like that. The russet color from LW is considerably less red than Aero, and LW leather lacks the surface dye that fades so quickly on an Aero. LW HH shows real texture right out of the box and develops a deeper grain with sharp details, whereas Aero FQHH has a glossy waxy finish and with age retains a smoother texture with less pronounced grain.

Best of luck, and enjoy whatever you choose!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy